PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Preference

LawnBoy89
11-14-2004, 06:35 PM
What trimmers do you guys run. Right now I have 2 but they aren't commercial. One of them has a special head with a 4 way string, the other is only 2. One is a craftsmen, the other homelite. If I keep using them so often I'm sure they are going to go. So I'm going to get most of my equiptment for next year during the off season. I really have no idea about any commercial trimmers.

So what's good? What are you guys running? Thanks.

lampeslawnservice
11-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Stihl, all the way

Mo Green
11-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Just check around at your local dealers and see what's available. Don't select a trimmer on name alone, also consider the dealer that is selling it to you. Are they going to stand by their product and provide you with good customer service if it breaks down? Sometimes this can be just as important as the brand you select.

I got lucky. I like Stihl, and the local dealer that I work with is less than 10 miles away and provides good customer service.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-14-2004, 06:44 PM
I use Robin trimmers, they are much lighter than others but have the steel shaft so that you can use a blade on them if you like http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/pro-trimmers.htm
I also have some stihl equipment and I like it very well, I am a solo operator so any weight I can save in a days work makes it easier on me. Alot of other people like the redmax and shindiawa ,Husquarvana, and Echo. I havent used them so I cant comment but they are top grade companies also

txlawnking
11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Lawnboy, for lawn maintenance, I don't think anything else has the bang for the buck like a Kawasaki.. I've had excellent results from mine, the Ktr27a.. 1.6hp, 10.6 lbs, and I paid $220 for mine at a dealer, I've seen them on e bay for $189. But really it depends on your local dealer, and what he is selling ( and how much you thust him). On the other hand, if you are a mechanic/mechanically adept just buy it online and wing it.. either way, you won't go too wrong with a Kawi, (which you can get at Lesco's) Redmax, Stihl, or Shindaiwa...

LawnBoy89
11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
I can get any type of trimmer from my local dealer, there are tons of dealers around me that are very close.

Those Robin trimmers look pretty good. I'm starting to see more and more 4-stroke trimmers. Is your Robin trimmer a four stroke?

grass_cuttin_fool
11-14-2004, 07:02 PM
No I am using the model 2050, it is 2 cycle, Im old school and not sold on the 4 stroke yet all though my dealer has some in the field in use with good results. The Robin has an oil pan on it and you have to keep a check on the oil level. Im not sure about the others but the stihl is 4 stroke but uses a 2 stroke mix for lubrication

Lawnchoice
11-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Red Max - always and always will unless something goes bad with them.

YardPro
11-14-2004, 07:06 PM
have about 8 echo's but won't buy more. have a husquivarna that i like alot, have had a few robins, love them, have had shindawa, love them too. have a red max that i like alot. and have had a few sthil, but was not happy with them

Travis Followell
11-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I like Stihl and Echo. They are both great trimmers. You would probibly be happy with either of them. We use all Stihl and Shindawia but we will be buying Echo's next. We have 6 Shindawia's and based on experience with them and other employee's experience while using them, I wouldn't recommend them.

stevesmowing
11-14-2004, 07:33 PM
I run a FS85 Stihl. I think they stopped making that model though because of pollution lawns. I like the trimmer. It has a decent amount of power and not real heavy. This summer I worked for another guy too and ran his 2 shindaiwa t270 trimmers. All I can say is work horse. He said he has had them 4 years and hasn't had any problems. If the grass is thick you can still have a lot of line out. They don't bog down nearly as much as my fs85. Downside is they are heavy. I am glad I got the FS85 and it has worked out well for me. If the grass is real heavy I just run the line a little shorter. However if I buy another trimmer it will have more power and then I can choose if I want the more powerful one or the lighter one.

LawnBoy89
11-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Well I guess I'll get what I can find. If there is anything good on ebay I'll go with that. I know how to work on motors from my dirtbike and quad. I'll probably get a 2 stroke since it doesn't have a cam and valves in the motor so incase anything goes wrong it will be alot easier to fix. If the Stihl 4 stroke still takes mixed gas for lubrication then I'll just get the 2 stroke because the reason I was going to get the 4 stroke in the first place was so I wouldn't have to mix gas. Thanks alot guys.

mkwl
11-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Get a Red Max!!! I have a Red Max BCZ2600S trimmer and I love it!!! It has a lot of power and torque!!! Depending on your application, the smaller Red Max model BCZ2400S may be adequate, but I like the extra power of the BCZ2600S. I have about 75 hours on it with no problems at all.

DennisF
11-14-2004, 08:35 PM
I like Stihl stuff, but I just bought a new Shindaiwa T260 to replace an aging Stihl FS-85 trimmer. I'm going to change the trimmer head to Stihl 25-2 Autocut because I like Stihl trimmer heads. I've always used Stihl and I have never had any problems to speak of with Stihl, but I take very good care of my equipment. I'm a maintenance freek when it comes to proper care of any equipment. You can't go wrong with Stihl as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't be afraid to try Shindaiwa or Redmax stuff since they are also high quality tools. Don't be afraid to spend a few extra $ to get the best equipment and always buy the most powerful unit that you can afford. It will pay off in the long haul.

hole in one lco
11-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Kawasaki in my opinion is the best and the lightest all my 2 cycle equipment is kawasaki and very happy with it.

shepoutside
11-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Stihl, all the way
Ditto :) Great dealer network too

sildoc
11-14-2004, 09:09 PM
I have the Husqvarna 326LX. I really like the machine. I tried the FS 85 liked that also. Tried the Echo and thought it was weak compared to the husky and weighed more. The kawi is a solid machine but have very limited access to them here. I also have the FC 110 Edger and like it. I got the whacker attachement for back up and it is very comparable to the husky in power, although it weighs alot more. I like the shidy but for the price and weight the husky won outright. I guess what most are telling you is to try, try and try again untill you find one that fits your needs. Then buy. Opinons on equiptment are thousands, but what matters in the end is if you are happy with it and if it fits your needs.