PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Rack Help

Husky03
11-14-2004, 06:45 PM
I need to get trimmer racks for my trailer. I want good ones that will not be a pain to open and unlock. They will be screwed into wood. My dealer sells trimmer trap stuff. It is expensive, but looks like high quality stuff. I have also been looking at this one.
http://www.precoparts.com./moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1015&CFID=425382&CFTOKEN=22804477
What are you guys using. Remember these will be mounted on 2" x 8" if that makes a difference.

Thanks... :)

Mo Green
11-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Check out e-bay. I've seen some pretty good ones on there for good prices.

Husky03
11-14-2004, 06:55 PM
I have already check Ebay, but I did not find much. What makes some better than others? What makes a good trimmer rack?

Mo Green
11-14-2004, 07:03 PM
I have already check Ebay, but I did not find much. What makes some better than others? What makes a good trimmer rack?
I guess it depends on what you like. Some racks are coated with vinyl paint, some are not. Some have individual locks for each trimmer, and some have a slide on one piece that opens all 3 slots at the same time, and only use one lock. Some fasten to your trailer differently than others.

paponte
11-14-2004, 07:14 PM
I fabricate all of my own racks, to whatever specs fit the application. Lockable, open, enclosed etc. Maybe check out a local iron shop, could save yourself a bundle. I have actually thought about making some and selling them in the off season. :)

ztoro
11-14-2004, 07:42 PM
greentouch, pricey but very nice....

razorman
11-14-2004, 07:58 PM
I use a Buyers rack,holds 3 trimmers,lockable. I really like it

wanabe
11-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Greentouch are a pain in the rear if you ask me. Too many clips/locks. We have another(not shure of name) but it is red and it is much easier. Simple one lever to release 2 trimmers. Maybe someone can give you the name.

Husky03
11-14-2004, 08:21 PM
I do not think the Green Touch rack will mount up the way I need it to on my tralier.

LLandscaping
11-14-2004, 08:53 PM
We have all Trimmer Trap racks. They are simple to use with no pins to forget to put in. They lock with one lock and are made to last.

gogetter
11-14-2004, 09:17 PM
I've been using the one you linked at Precoparts for about 3 years or so whit no real problems so far.
Very inexpensive, and real easy to use. Not sure about your mounting situation though.

wanabe, I'm with you on those green touch! Not a great design, overpriced and overrated! IMO.

Husky03
11-14-2004, 09:22 PM
gogetter: how are the trimmers secured on that one from Preco? In the picture it looks like if you hit a bump they would bounce out in the front. It looks like the trimmers just rest in a groove? Do you think that rack would munt to a board?

Thanks...

Lbilawncare
11-14-2004, 09:23 PM
We have the Green touch 3 spot racks in our enclosed trailers. They started out on our open trailers. We mounted them on 2x10's and they work great. I don't have a need to lock them, and we usually only put the rear pin in unless we are travelling a long distance.

gogetter
11-14-2004, 10:04 PM
gogetter: how are the trimmers secured on that one from Preco? In the picture it looks like if you hit a bump they would bounce out in the front. It looks like the trimmers just rest in a groove? Do you think that rack would munt to a board?

No, they don't bounce out. It's hard to describe, but if you saw one in person or a close up photo, you'd see how they stay in.

Not sure what you mean about mounting it to a board. Do you have an open, or enclosed trailer?

PLM-1
11-14-2004, 10:26 PM
I have gridiron and love it. PM me and i will hook you up with the guy to buy it from. he sells it at about 1/2 msrp.

alpine692003
11-14-2004, 10:58 PM
I just purchased the Precoparts Trimmer rack which holds 3 trimmers, I'll let you guys know how it is and show you guys pictures!

lafrance4078
11-14-2004, 11:04 PM
I made my trimer and orig. blower racks. My old blower got stolen, so I cut off the blower rack because the new Stihl blower needs a special rack. My trimmer racks are made out of steel. Just welded them together w/out plans. Works out great for me. I do tend to forget to put the pins back in though. Next season I am going to attach the pins with a small chain or cord. Good luck.

JKOOPERS
11-14-2004, 11:26 PM
i used angle iron with axle hangers welded on to the angle iron and then used a pin with a chain so i wouldnt loose the pins

ICE
11-15-2004, 12:53 AM
I fabricate all of my own racks, to whatever specs fit the application. Lockable, open, enclosed etc. Maybe check out a local iron shop, could save yourself a bundle. I have actually thought about making some and selling them in the off season. :)

I WISH (Santa, are you listening)that I had a shop that I could do my own fabricating too! DANG! :blob3:

Jealous Tim.

Gautreaux's LNG
11-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Trimmer Trap and Grid iron are the two best I have seen. Grid iron is all corrision resistant and fully adjustable. You can make It like you want it. But it a little pricey but it will last forever. Trimmer trap is very good also. If you have a Husqvarna dealer near you they handle Grid iron. Good Luck

The C Man
11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
GridIron stuff is sweet. Send me a private message if you'd like to buy some. I have 5 foot posts with 3 trimmer holders and a backpack blower holder.

PLM-1
11-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Here's a couple pics of my gridiron.

Up North
11-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Husky03,
I have those racks from Preco parts that you list the link for in your first post. I like them a lot, actually it was gogetter that turned me on to them. Very easy to use and mine came with 3 keyed alike locks, guess they were running a special at the time I bought them, you might want to ask them. Anyway, if you have wood sides on your open trailer they should mount just fine. I have steel sides that come up about 16 inches all around my trailer and they mounted up just fine. Like gogetter says, the trimmers stay very secure, in order to get them out you lower the head of the trimmer a bit and then the shaft will come right out, slick rack.

Buck

KWoodhead
11-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Have you looked at racks from: Trimmer Trap (http://www.trimmertrap.com/racks/racks.htm)

MMLawn
11-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Have you looked at racks from: Trimmer Trap (http://www.trimmertrap.com/racks/racks.htm)

I guess you didn't read his post that he started this thread with, because he already mentioned them in the beginning of the post but stated as they are, they are nice but pricey.

If you have a TSC Store they have a great very well made all steel 3 Trimmer rack for only $54.

Blessed 1
11-15-2004, 03:29 PM
I too use the Preco. I love them! I have been using them 3 years and have had 0 problems. I buy the keyed alike locks so that 1 key fits all the locks. I like being able to only unlock the one that I need so that the other 2 remain locked. Dollar for Dollar, at 59.00 these are the way to go!

jimslawns
11-15-2004, 03:41 PM
try rackemmfg.com I've got one and like it a lot. very resonalbly priced.

jbell113
11-15-2004, 04:27 PM
I went to a metal scrap yard and made some for thirty dollars

GrassBustersLawn
11-15-2004, 04:41 PM
I use TRIMMERTRAP TT-2 model (holds 3 trimmers). You don't want to be CHEAP on this, because you'll be using it 20 times a day, 5 days a week, 30 weeks a year! Also, it is protecting some valuable equipment!!! Also, it opens easily with one hand. One lock secures all 3 trimmers. FINALLY, you can add accessories, such as Line Holder & Shovel/rake holder. Helps keep you organized and tools handy & secure. WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT! IMHO. You wouldn't go cheap on your mower, why go cheap on your other equipment?

Mike

Husky03
11-15-2004, 06:47 PM
I appreciate all of the great help I have gotten in this thread. It sounds like I have several very happy people with the rack form Preco and you cannot beat the price. If Preco has one in stock I think I will go with them. Hopefully they will mount up. Thank you guys for the help. :)

ztoro
11-16-2004, 08:05 AM
I came across these racks. anybody use em? they look identical to greentouch but less than half the price

http://www.mowersulky.com/EquipmentGuard.htm

ztoro
11-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I came across these racks. anybody use em? they look identical to greentouch but less than half the price

http://www.mowersulky.com/EquipmentGuard.htm

never mind the price I saw was for the cheaper design.