PDA

View Full Version : Securing ZTR on Trailer

Husky03
11-14-2004, 06:52 PM
My trailer does not have a fold down ramp in the back. It is open, It does have sides that I built, but nothing in the back. How can I secure my 34Z on my trailer while transporting. It has the parking brake. Do you think this alone is safe enough? If not, what do you think about ratcheting straps? I think these may be to much trouble.

Thanks...

Huften Lawn Care
11-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Greentouch.com. Product is called faststrap. Definitely do not rely soley on the parking brake.

Mo Green
11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Ratchet straps is how I secure my equipment, and never has it been too much trouble. It takes me, maybe two minutes more to do this. In most states, it's the law that you have any equipment in an open trailer secured. If, god forbid, you were in an accident, your mower could go flying out of your trailer and cause god knows how much damage to your mower or to someone else. Take the extra time, and do it the right way.

twwlawn
11-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Using ratcheting straps is better than using nothing. Just think if that 34Z went off your trailer and caused a serious accident, could turn into a nightmare for you. Protect your assets.

ALarsh
11-14-2004, 07:32 PM
What about the prolockers?

http://prolockers.com/

stevesmowing
11-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I have a question on the pro lockers. Do you have to have a wide enough trailer you can ofset the pro locker to one side if you put 2 mowers on the trailer. Otherwise they would be in the way trying to load and unload the mower up front.

Husky03
11-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Wow, $150 for that Prolocker. It looks very nice but expensive. I do not know if there is anywhere to buy the Green Touch Fastrap in my area. It looks like it would be more of a pain compared to the Prolocker. Does TrimmerTrap make anything like these?

Huften Lawn Care
11-14-2004, 08:30 PM
http.//www.faststrap.us/
You can order direct.

Huften Lawn Care
11-14-2004, 08:33 PM
h (http://www.faststrap.us/)
OK, thats better.

grasswhacker
11-14-2004, 08:34 PM
I just screw a 2x6 across the trailer bottom and have never had my Z back past it. Cost about 5 bucks. Use treated lumber.

Huften Lawn Care
11-14-2004, 08:35 PM
http://www.faststrap.us/

ALarsh
11-14-2004, 08:37 PM
I just screw a 2x6 across the trailer bottom and have never had my Z back past it. Cost about 5 bucks. Use treated lumber.

So you screw on that 2x6 to act like a stopper? You drive over it as you are loading and let the wheels rest against the 2x6?

I supposed that would work if you are just going around the block, but that wont work if you get in a crash. ;)

Huften Lawn Care
11-14-2004, 08:43 PM
greentouch.com/

Sorry I, I just figured out the hyperlink.

ALarsh
11-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Those look like a really great idea. You can drive over them so you can still put a mower in front of another. Does anybody know how much they cost?

grasswhacker
11-14-2004, 09:14 PM
So you screw on that 2x6 to act like a stopper? You drive over it as you are loading and let the wheels rest against the 2x6?

I supposed that would work if you are just going around the block, but that wont work if you get in a crash. ;)

Yes it works to keep the Z from rolling backwards. Has done a fine job for 7 years around the block. No crashes yet, so i will report the results as soon as i have one. Continuing storyline.

Pecker
11-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Please, please do NOT rely on the parking brake! :realmad: You'll end up killing some poor soul when your 1000lbs. ZTR bounces its way off the trailer (trailers bounce and your mower will shift all over your trailer during transit). Whata way to kill someone by being stupid! At the very least, use ratchet straps. I use Faststraps and they work great (and my trailer has sides and a gate). But before that I used ratchet straps. Even though the ratchet takes a minute or two, its a small price to pay. After all, if you are hauling something, its your burden to ensure the saftey of the people you are sharing the road with. I've seen several people post the hyperlink on this thread to greentouch. . .please check it out. They're about $25 per strap. I think it says you can get by with one but with no gate I'd get both.

BULLGRAZER
11-14-2004, 09:45 PM
I may have overlooked this here as I'm reading fast tonight...BUT - I did not see anything about the 'other' smart and safe procedure for transporting a ZTR...that is - PUT THE DECK ALL THE WAY DOWN (touching the trailer floor if possible). This will take the hard impact bouncing shock off the deck chain retaining arms that results from driving around all day. Bend/Brake one (or both) those and your deck will not be level for the cut (and that is not a work-around joe-cool-fix smart option if damaged).

This will save you BIG $$$ in possible repairs and adds to the safety of transporting from job to job.

-=KC=-
BULLGRAZER

TURF DOCTOR
11-14-2004, 11:50 PM
I own greentouch strap, and the pro locker, green touch 23 bucks, the pro locker 160 bucks. The green touch strap is fast and it holds a big Z T R .Get the green touch.

work_it
11-15-2004, 12:05 AM
I may have overlooked this here as I'm reading fast tonight...BUT - I did not see anything about the 'other' smart and safe procedure for transporting a ZTR...that is - PUT THE DECK ALL THE WAY DOWN (touching the trailer floor if possible). This will take the hard impact bouncing shock off the deck chain retaining arms that results from driving around all day. Bend/Brake one (or both) those and your deck will not be level for the cut (and that is not a work-around joe-cool-fix smart option if damaged).

This will save you BIG $$$ in possible repairs and adds to the safety of transporting from job to job.

-=KC=-
BULLGRAZER

Maybe it's just me but I can't actually see where that would make much of a difference to keep the mower from moving around on a trailer. That would just let my mower deck roll around on anti-scalp rollers instead of hanging in the air.

The pro lockers have a design feature which allows you to easily move it out of the way. Pull a mounting pin and the entire locking unit can be removed. Takes all of 3 to 5 seconds. If you can't afford the pro lockers then use the quick straps, but don't rely on the parking breaks or a 2x6. I really don't care to read a post in the future with the heading, "I'm writing you from jail because I was too cheap to properly secure my Z".

DuallyVette
11-15-2004, 12:15 AM
First put a ramp tailgate on the trailer. I think the pro lockers are too expensive and in the way. People also seem to be bending them. Id like to actually see someone suspend a trailer by the tongue in the air and watch the pro locker hold it. I use enclosed trailers and strap them to the walls with some 6 foot slip straps.( 4 for $10 or $15.

MMLawn
11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
So you screw on that 2x6 to act like a stopper? You drive over it as you are loading and let the wheels rest against the 2x6?I supposed that would work if you are just going around the block, but that wont work if you get in a crash. ;)

Perfect example of the only complaint I've ever had on LS threads. Here is a 15 year old giving advice on something he knows absolutely nothing about to someone that is old enough to be his father and this kid can't possibly know how to handle this because he doesn't even have a drivers license yet and the member whose tactics he questioned has been driving TWICE as long as this kid as even been alive!

R&R LawnService
11-15-2004, 11:38 AM
I use 10,000 pound ratchet tie downs. They cost around 40 bucks and your equipment never moves, you cant beat them.

BobcatZT
11-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Perfect example of the only complaint I've ever had on LS threads. Here is a 15 year old giving advice on something he knows absolutely nothing about to someone that is old enough to be his father and this kid can't possibly know how to handle this because he doesn't even have a drivers license yet and the member whose tactics he questioned has been driving TWICE as long as this kid as even been alive!

His age has nothing to do with it. I have been driving almost 20 years now, and I also think it is unsafe. ;)

Strap it down!
:waving: :cool2:

MMLawn
11-15-2004, 03:19 PM
His age has nothing to do with it. I have been driving almost 20 years now, and I also think it is unsafe. ;)

Strap it down!

I see that my <b>point</b> went completely over your head. But I guess that is because you haven't been on here long and haven't seen some of the "advice" that teenagers who aren't in business, but only cut grass for spending money, on here give on something they have never even done. ;) Looks like maybe Up North had it right...

ALarsh
11-15-2004, 04:18 PM

Do you really have nothing better to do all day than to sit around at LS starting arguements?

I never knew it took a PHD to know that if you get in a crash with a mower that isn't strapped down, its going to move. What adivce did I give him? That if/when the guy with a mower resting up against a 2X6 gets in a crash its going to move. WOW, helpful adivce, huh? I bet he couldn't figure that out by himself either. :dizzy: Do you have to have a college education to figure that out? :angry:

How do you use the ignore function? First time I've needed it.

MMLawn
11-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Do you really have nothing better to do all day than to sit around at LS starting arguements?

I never knew it took a PHD to know that if you get in a crash with a mower that isn't strapped down, its going to move. What adivce did I give him? That if/when the guy with a mower resting up against a 2X6 gets in a crash its going to move. WOW, helpful adivce, huh? I bet he couldn't figure that out by himself either. :dizzy: Do you have to have a college education to figure that out? :angry:

How do you use the ignore function? First time I've needed it.

I see Jr High school is out for the for the day..... :cool2:

ALarsh
11-15-2004, 04:26 PM
I see Jr High school is out for the for the day..... :cool2:

Ok buddy, i'm in high school and it gets out at 2:45 every day.

Envy Lawn Service
11-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Right now the Greentouch Fastrap is the end-all-end to tie downs for anything with wheels.... especially zero turn equipment. The reason being is it not only keeps the equipment on your trailer... it also keeps it STILL!!! Other types and methods might keep them on the trailer, but nothing I tried kept them still while traveling the mountain roads I do. Mowers danced all over the trailer.

The Fastraps are cheap, strong, safe, easy to use and fast! Honestly, when it comes right down to it... probably the best money I ever spent on anything in this business.
GET SOME!

BobcatZT
11-15-2004, 04:44 PM
I see that my <b>point</b> went completely over your head. But I guess that is because you haven't been on here long and haven't seen some of the "advice" that teenagers who aren't in business, but only cut grass for spending money, on here give on something they have never even done. ;) Looks like maybe Up North had it right...

Yeah, because I think it is unsafe, I must not be professional enough............ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Husky03
11-15-2004, 06:29 PM
OMG, I am sorry I got everyone all hot and bothered here. Do you guys go mow all day and come home pissed off and then hop on lawnsite to ***** at everyone? :dizzy: Safety was obviously a concern or I would not have posted this. I do appreciate the help I have gotten here. It looks like Green touch will be my best option. I do not see where I can order factory direct though. The link just takes me to the site and on the site it tells you to check with your local dealer. ;) What's the deal?

Thanks...

Envy Lawn Service
11-15-2004, 06:48 PM
It looks like Green touch will be my best option. I do not see where I can order factory direct though. The link just takes me to the site and on the site it tells you to check with your local dealer. ;) What's the deal?

Thanks...
You can get them online at Turf Stuff or Northern Tool... your local store might even have them in stock.

Husky03
11-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Thank you Envy, I will check out those sites out. :)

grasswhacker
11-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Strap it down!

#1 The original question had nothing to do about securing a ZTR in the event of a crash.
#2 The originator of the thread wanted to know how to keep his Z from rolling backwards since he does not have a ramp on the back.
#3 if you are in a crash you are not going to care about the stinking ZTR, but about injuries to yourself, your employees or the other driver. Chances are in a crash straps would give way anyhow, the board will stay in place.
#4 my 2x6 holds my Z in on very steep inclines with no problen. If the parking brake is on and the stop is in place there should be no problem.
#5 My way cost no time loss messing around with straps, period.

grasswhacker
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
What about the prolockers?

http://prolockers.com/

I just send and email to the makers of prolockers and ask if they guarantee their product in the event of a collision, and the extent to which they back up their product. If they tell me that they guarantee not to fail in a crash and they would replace my equipment if it did come loose ; plus cover any damage that my equipment might cause if they fail, I'll buy one before weeks end. If they do not then they are a waste of $ IMO. Plus my 2x6 holds both wheels in check........mate.

Envy Lawn Service
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
#1 The original question had nothing to do about securing a ZTR in the event of a crash.
#2 The originator of the thread wanted to know how to keep his Z from rolling backwards since he does not have a ramp on the back.
#3 if you are in a crash you are not going to care about the stinking ZTR, but about injuries to yourself, your employees or the other driver. Chances are in a crash straps would give way anyhow, the board will stay in place.
#4 my 2x6 holds my Z in on very steep inclines with no problen. If the parking brake is on and the stop is in place there should be no problem.
#5 My way cost no time loss messing around with straps, period.

Sorry man....

#1- Certainly true, but....
#2- Certainly true, but....
#3- Certainly ture, but....
You would care if it came off and when through the rear window of your truck.
You should also read up on what my Fastraps have endured without 'giving'.
#4- Maybe it works OK for you, but....
No way should you recommend it to a newbie. One thing you have not thought of is bouncing around. I have a larger, heavier ZTR and it would hop right over that, then slide right off the back of the trailer into the highway. The fastraps have two good chocks per tire, and when properly installed forms a saddle that wedges the tire great because the tire actually lacks a hair of touching the trailer floor it's wedged so well. I've forgotten to strap it down a time or two and had it bounce out. Once it bounced and slid to the rear of the trailer, wedging against the gate, and I started fish tailing like crazy. I was luck to save it.

#5- Try a set of Fastraps. Under 10 extra seconds per stop, including both sides, both off and on. They take 1 second each to remove, and 3-4 seconds each to bind the tires back down.

Well worth the money and the extra safety, especially with no gate. That little 34Z will be all over the place without them.

grasswhacker
11-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Sorry man....

#4- Maybe it works OK for you, but....
No way should you recommend it to a newbie. One thing you have not thought of is bouncing around. I have a larger, heavier ZTR and it would hop right over that, then slide right off the back of the trailer into the highway. The fastraps have two good chocks per tire, and when properly installed forms a saddle that wedges the tire great because the tire actually lacks a hair of touching the trailer floor it's wedged so well. I've forgotten to strap it down a time or two and had it bounce out. Once it bounced and slid to the rear of the trailer, wedging against the gate, and I started fish tailing like crazy. I was luck to save it.

Envy, My ZTR is a 61" bobcat, very heavy and never has it rolled backward over the 2x6.
the way I see it is that he has a tilt bed trailer, and would have to spend quite a bit to put a ramp on the back.
Now if he feels that he would need more security he could drill holes in both sides of the rails and run a strap across the back of the Z.
To each his own however.

grasswhacker
11-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Well I've tried twice to Email the co to ask my question. here is what I am getting:

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.

Recipient:info@prolawnequipment.com
Reason: sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1)

Anybody have a good email address for them?

ALarsh
11-15-2004, 09:21 PM
You could try to call them at 772-229-1690...

grasswhacker
11-15-2004, 09:24 PM
You could try to call them at 772-229-1690...
I like things in written documentation

ALarsh
11-15-2004, 09:25 PM
or support@prolawnequipment.com . I think this is the e-mail address they use about lost orders, warranty claims, etc though.

BULLGRAZER
11-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by BULLGRAZER

-=KC=-
BULLGRAZER

"Maybe it's just me but I can't actually see where that would make much of a difference to keep the mower from moving around on a trailer. That would just let my mower deck roll around on anti-scalp rollers instead of hanging in the air."

WorkIt (Earth Management) -

You replied - "Maybe it's just me but I can't actually see where that would make much of a difference to keep the mower from moving around on a trailer.

NO - its not you, my post was not speciffically meant to suggest a way to secure the ZTR from moving around - I was offering some eXmark super dealer and learned from experience, hopefully helpful information about "transporting" a ZTR that can save the owner costly repairs and down time...a simple 'food for thought' suggestion regarding TRANSPORTING A ZTR.

Again - Lowering the deck to the trailer floor will take the hard impact bouncing shock off the deck chain retaining arms that results from driving around all day. Bend/Brake one (or both) those and your deck will not be level for the cut (and that is not a work-around joe-cool-fix smart option if damaged).

Hope this is understood for what its worth as it does deal with TRANSPORTING A ZTR too.

-=KC=-
BULLGRAZER

grasswhacker
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
I just send and email to the makers of prolockers and ask if they guarantee their product in the event of a collision, and the extent to which they back up their product. If they tell me that they guarantee not to fail in a crash and they would replace my equipment if it did come loose ; plus cover any damage that my equipment might cause if they fail, I'll buy one before weeks end. If they do not then they are a waste of $ IMO. Plus my 2x6 holds both wheels in check........mate.

Alright here is the response from the maker of prolocker:

No, sorry but PROLOCKERS are not designed for accidents. Our product is designed for ease of use to save you time and effort in securing equipment to your trailer for transportation. The D.O.T. has guidelines for securing equipment or cargo for transporting and states specifically that these requirements apply at all times "excluding accidents" (see www.fmcsa.dot.gov rules &regulations 393-100 thru 106) PROLOCKERS will save you time and money.PROLOCKERS will minimize damage to your equipment and trailers,but you must provide the safety.

----- Original Message -----
To: support@prolawnequipment.com
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 9:26 PM
Subject: prolockers

Do you all guarantee that the prolockers will not fail in the event of a collision? And if you do what would you replace?

Sam Jaros

Husky03
11-16-2004, 05:28 PM
I just checked Northern tool and the Fastraps are $23. Do you guys think I still need two of them even thought I have the smallest ZTR made?

Also, about lowering the deck. My deck does not even have antiscalp wheels for the deck to roll on when lowered. It does not touch the ground on its lowest setting.

Thanks... :)

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Yeah, go ahead and grab two. Having both wheels secured keeps the Z from swinging and bouncing around. Plus the chocks lift and cradle the tire off the trailer floor. So you'll want 2 of them so you are not transporting with the frame cocked.

By the way, does your Z have 20" rear tires? If so I have simple instructions for you to set up the chocks perfectly....

Husky03
11-16-2004, 06:44 PM
My rear tires are 21 x 7-10. Your plan probably will not work since they are slightly larger.

Thanks... :)