PDA

View Full Version : Which limited slip

Gravel Rat
11-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Whats your preferences on limited slips in differentials ?

I'am trying to figure out ways of increasing the traction on a older F-Superduty F-450 which is a 2wd. I thought about going with a locker but I have been told I may end up breaking the rear end with the loads I carry.

These trucks have a Dana 80 with 5:13s so I need one that will work with 5:13 ring and pinion.

As for tires I'am I better off using a full out mud tire for drives or should I use a traction tire like the BFG Commercial T/A. I never put mud tires on the drive tires on a dually I don't know how much noise they would produce or how fast would they peal off.

I thought about going back to a F-350 so I can have 4wheeldrive but the "legal Payload" will be 4500lbs which is all what a F-350 can really carry. Legal payload on a F-Superduty is 7000lbs a big difference when the brakes are designed to stop a 15,000lb gvw truck over a F-350 which has a gvw of 11,000lbs.

UNISCAPER
11-14-2004, 08:38 PM
How hard would it be to get an FWD front end and a transfer case from a bone yard? It is a fairly easy conversion, 8-10 hours and you would get all the traction you need that way.

YardPro
11-14-2004, 09:00 PM
i had a true track put in a jeep i had and loved it.

gene gls
11-14-2004, 09:31 PM
It dependes on the size of the rear end as to what types and brands are available. True Track was the only brand available for the 9.5" rear in my 89 Chevy back in 1994. It was loud,clunked a lot when engauging.It only lasted 3 years. When I had to replace it, there were more brands available and I went with Detroit Locker. About seven years now and still working fine.

I have a "locker" in my 99 Mitsi FE HD and you can hear and feel the tires and gears straining with a load on turning a corner on blacktop. In sand, mud, snow its great,4 wheels turning all the time.

Find a shop that specializes in gears, tranny's and rear ends. They should be able to look up your number's in a book to see what choices you have.

Gene

Grassmechanic
11-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Whats your preferences on limited slips in differentials ?

I'am trying to figure out ways of increasing the traction on a older F-Superduty F-450 which is a 2wd. I thought about going with a locker but I have been told I may end up breaking the rear end with the loads I carry.

These trucks have a Dana 80 with 5:13s so I need one that will work with 5:13 ring and pinion.

You'll end up breaking something else before you'll ever trash a Dana 80. Detroit Locker is the first choice, followed by a Lock-Rite. A Detroit Locker will require some expertise, but someone with a little knowledge can install a Lock-Rite in a few hours

Gravel Rat
11-14-2004, 11:26 PM
I do have a 4wheeldrive conversion in mind but thats later down the road because thats a big dollar job. So I'am looking at cheaper options like tires and a differential traction aid. If I was in the position of needing 4wheeldrive for everyday use then I would go out and buy one.

When I spend 80% on pavement and offoad where a open diff does fine I have a hard time justifying spending big dollars on a 99 or newer F-450 4x4. Its the 10% where having some increased traction would make life abit easier . The only time I need a traction aid for the 10% of the time is with a empty truck with no load on the deck. With a load on the truck (1000-6000lbs) the wheels don't spin they sink if they do.

What I was told with the Detroit locker I do run the risk of doing some damage and stress to the Dana 80 over time. I do get into some tightspots with my truck where I have to turn some pretty tight corners in narrow driveways. Some places I have to make 100 point turns to make a corner in a drivway or one one front tire is in the ditch on one side and the oposite rear tire is in the ditch.

What I'am worried about the detroit is I will loose any directional controll with 4 tires pushing two I already have that problem with a open diff in some situations.

With a limited slip I'am hoping that it will give before the rear end does I'am also hoping that it won't over power the steer tires and turn them into skis.

So I'am looking for experiences with LSD mainly with the Truetrac which is pretty much the only the option for the Dana 80. I was told the older versions had some problems but the newer versions have been improved.

I know quite a few landscapers and tree guys in this area all own 2wd trucks because dually cab and chassis are usually 2wd trucks. So I'am not the only one that runs into the lack of traction. A 4x4 1 ton dually cab and chassis is expensive to repair when your packing upto 6000lb loads like me that puts wear and tear on a transfer case etc. Look at the repair shops of the 4x4s getting ball joints replaced yearly and front U joints.

UNISCAPER
11-15-2004, 10:55 AM
I ran a true trac on the front end of a CJ-5 we put a 401 cubic inch rambler scrambler engine in. It worked well, but I was wlays concerned when we locked the hubs, the steering whell would have to be turned 1/8 turn to the right to compensate for the grip the front end was giving. I always wondered when if at all, the front end would give, but it never did. Tru trac makes a good product. As far as mud tires on a dually, yep, you are going to get them to sing pretty well on the pavement, and that is one of the unfortunate things about an aggressive directional tread vs a multi directional. If you can find a '99 or newer 450, you are going to pay $25K for that truck assuming it is good enough shape to be dependable. Maybe the way to go is to get on a utility companies auction list. Typically, they auction off thier trucks every 4 years or so and they aren't run very hard at all. I bet you could find a deal somewhere.

Gravel Rat
11-15-2004, 03:43 PM
I have been looking the trucks I have found with reasonable prices have high kilometers attached. I can find a older F-Superduty with lower kilometers and a better price attached. Most of us in this area all run older truck because there isn't enough work to justify spending 30 grand on a truck.

I'am hoping to find a traction aid for the diff just to help out abit some of these residential homes have some pretty bad driveways. I have been down some pretty tough ones never been stuck too bad yet I'am very careful. I will refuse togo down some of them they are just too steep and slippery. If they are covered in grass and leaves forget it I dump the load of wood or gravel at the top of the driveway. Or I don't do the job loosing 40-60 bucks not doing job is cheaper than 100 plus for a tow truck to winch me out.

As for tires I have a feeling the mud tires would really howl even the Bandags which are suppose to be pavement traction they humm pretty good going down the road. I think I may try BFG Commercial Traction T/As or Uniroyal HD/Ts I don't trust Goodyear Workhorse dad had them on his truck they were junk.

The reason why I'am discussing this is a landscaper friend of mine has a 2wd Chev dually dump his truck walked out of a driveway where my truck struggles. I don't know if its because he is running a virgin (new) A/T tires that grip better than my Bandag recaps.

I'am currently looking for a newer F-Superduty so I don't want to put Bandag recaps on the drive tires if they are the my main problem with traction. I have been using the same tread cap design from bandag for 10 years on all tires I bought for my trucks. The reason why I kept using the Bandags is the price is right used to be 120.00 a tire they last 2 years (21/32 tread) and work fine for the highway.