PDA

View Full Version : Grapple Bucket Question...

thepawnshop
11-15-2004, 12:42 AM
I bought the Loflin Root Grapple and have a question...

Whenever I raise the two thumbs up topm they slowly settle back to the "down" or "start" position. Is this normal? If so, how fast should it drop before I become concerned?

Here is a link to it:

Loflin Root Grapple (http://www.loflinfabrication.com/rootgrapple/)

Thanks!

Scag48
11-15-2004, 02:14 AM
That looks like a nice attachment, congrats on that. How fast are they coming down? I'd say if it take them a couple minutes I wouldn't worry about it too much but if it's less than say 10-20 seconds or so, I'd say you'd have a problem.

EngDave
11-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Doug - My grapple cylinders bleed down after I disconnect but not while I'm connected. Takes an hour or so I guess. Are you getting good clamp force on the downstroke? If it's weak maybe you have a problem. Give Loflin a call, I'm sure they'll stand behind their product.
Dave

p7m8
12-02-2004, 09:27 PM
I have the Loflin grapple as well. The clamps on mine don't go down at all by themselves.

drichards
12-02-2004, 11:41 PM
I have a Bradco root grapple and once the thumbs are raised up they do not settle at all when attached to the machine. If I disconnect them in the up position they will only slightly move if forced. However the movement of one is offset in the opposite direction by the other - this is due to the independent cylinder function.

If you are experiencing "leak down" on only this attachment then check the attachment for any obvious leaks in the connections, couplers, etc. A test would be to charge the hydraulics of the grapples - full pressure in the up or down position - and then disconnect the lines from your machine. You should only be able to move either thumb very little if any. If you can push or pull the thumbs up or down more than just a little bit then you have a leak somewhere. You should be able to see where the hydraulic fluid/oil is coming from. NOTE: if the grapples are not the problem then you should have a very hard time re-connecting the implement to the machine while it is under pressure and will have to bleed the pressure by breaking on of the connections.

However, after saying all that, I do not know what type of machine you have or how the hydraulics operate but all and all this would be where I would start looking. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.