PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheelers for work............

dvmcmrhp52
11-15-2004, 01:39 PM
For those that have them and use them................

We are looking into some 4 wheelers for fun and work, so a few questions for those who know..............

How well do they really plow snow?
Do you need 4 wheel drive for most snow removal?
How well do they work with a tow behind aerator?(is 4 wheel drive necessary?)
How well do they work with tow behind spreaders? (can they do a good job without to little or too much overlap because of speed?)
Any efficiency increases for moving materials with a trailer? (mulch, stone,etc.)
What other uses are there that are efficient?
Thanks............

Team Gopher
11-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Hi dvmcmrhp52,

Here is an older post that may be helpful.

lookin for a quad (http://server2.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=83343)

JPLAWNSERVICE
11-15-2004, 02:05 PM
You would have to be very careful maneuvering on a lawn with a four wheeler because they will tear up the yard if they are turned very deep. Just something to think about.

Dig-it Landscaping
11-15-2004, 02:27 PM
mine plows great but you definataly have to have 4x4. it will pull anything because it has high, low, and super low. thats one thing arctic cat does right. in super low 4 th gear top speed is less than 5 mph. it should pull any thing you want just be careful on turns. they will pull good i hooked a ford ranger 92 and drug it all around on grass i really like mine. maybe someday i'll get a honda

LawnBoy89
11-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Yea you really have to be careful on the lawn. The reason I say this is because the treads on the tires aren't really made for not digging up, they are meant TO dig up. So you might want to do something with the tires. Also, the reason they really dig it up when you turn is because the rear wheels on normal quads are going the same exact speed/distance, no matter what. So when you turn, the inside wheel is going to turn up some grass, atleast that is what my quad does. Other then being careful around turns and not turning sharp, a quad could have alot of great purposes.

I also highly recomend 4X4 for the snow. If you are going to spend money then go the little extra for the 4X4. There are many great utility quads out there. If I were you I would probably stick to Honda or Arctic Cat, but they really are all great.

Metro Lawn
11-15-2004, 03:38 PM
We have several 4x4 quads. All are Polaris and all do a great job plowing. The automatic trans is great too. We use many pull behind tools with them as well. He have installed eletric spreaders on them as well as a 25 gall tank and a spray boom. Great item and a good write off.

jbell113
11-15-2004, 04:12 PM
I have a 4 wheeler that I tow an aerator behind with and it works great.

J&R
11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
I have a 2003 Artic Cat 400 4x4 auto like new. Make an offer.amercoin@bellsouth.net

clay duncan
11-15-2004, 06:10 PM
i have a honda 450es foreman. i use it for just about everything you mentioned. it will pull a plugger anywhere, no problems pulling a spreader. pushes a reasonable amount of snow well. (6 or 7 inchesis nothing). stay with the stock tires and you wiil not tear up any turf. mine sits around alot but when i need it it is a real backsaver..... p.s. 4 wheel drive is a must.

dvmcmrhp52
11-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Gopher, Thanks, good info as usual.

Jplawnservice, yup tearing up turf is a concern, one model does have a "turf" mode that unlocks the rear differential to only drive 1 wheel (in 2 wheel drive)for just that reason.

Dig it landscaping, having pulling power is an important issue to me.

Lawnboy89,again turf tearing is a concern and maybe a unit with unlocking rear differential is the key.....still researching.

Metro, I do like the polaris.

Jbell, thanks.

J&R, I might be interested,but georgia is a bit of a ride for me....Thanks for the offer.

Clay, thanks I expect them to sit as well, but when needed I expect them to earn their keep.....

Thanks for the replies everyone.

caz1
11-15-2004, 07:36 PM
you can get turf tires for them i have two sets for mine 1 set for play and 1 set for grass work

N.H.BOY
11-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Artic Cat here in N.H. We of course get alot of snow. The 4x4 Cat pushes snow great. I have a fisher plow on my f-250, but its fun to run the Cat around the walkways I have around some houses.Check the Cat out.

all ferris
11-15-2004, 09:11 PM
I have an atv... it will lift 2000#'s, you can rent any attachment you could dream of for it, it has a cab and is heated, 4x4, it will push a 10' wide swath of snow where ever you want to. It's the Bobcat brand.... :p

Did I mention that it will really tear up the turf if it is turned sharp? :dizzy: :drinkup:

dvmcmrhp52
11-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Artic Cat here in N.H. We of course get alot of snow. The 4x4 Cat pushes snow great. I have a fisher plow on my f-250, but its fun to run the Cat around the walkways I have around some houses.Check the Cat out.

I have never seen an arctic cat 4 wheeler and don't even know where I'd look at one.........no dealers here that I'm aware of...........Hmmmm. I'd take a look if I could...........

dvmcmrhp52
11-15-2004, 09:18 PM
I have an atv... it will lift 2000#'s, you can rent any attachment you could dream of for it, it has a cab and is heated, 4x4, it will push a 10' wide swath of snow where ever you want to. It's the Bobcat brand.... :p

Did I mention that it will really tear up the turf if it is turned sharp? :dizzy: :drinkup:

Ya but how's it do going over logs and streams that are 2 feet deep????? :cool2:

all ferris
11-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Ya but how's it do going over logs and streams that are 2 feet deep????? :cool2:

If I go backwards I can push myself through just about anything with the bucket. If I put the loggering tracks on it is like a tank. And as far as going over logs? Why go over them when you can move them. :drinkup:

dvmcmrhp52
11-15-2004, 10:38 PM
If I go backwards I can push myself through just about anything with the bucket. If I put the loggering tracks on it is like a tank. And as far as going over logs? Why go over them when you can move them. :drinkup:

O.K. you win that one but how about the fact that there won't be any deer or turkeys or squirrels or................any game for MILES around afterwards.................. :laugh:

Although.........we could do some logging with it.............

Lawn-Scapes
11-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Dave.. I think a compact tractor would be a better choice for the tasks you described.. except for the having fun part.

Pecker
11-15-2004, 11:25 PM
If you buy a utility quad, 4x4 is a MUST. Spend an extra few bucks and do it up right the first time. Plus, if you ever sell it, you might even get what its worth. 2x4 utility quads are useless and have no resale value. Other than that, I think everyone else has got ya covered.

dvmcmrhp52
11-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Dave.. I think a compact tractor would be a better choice for the tasks you described.. except for the having fun part.

A compact tractor is in the future I believe, I just want to get to a position of being able to supply loader-backhoe work for it when that happens. For now we're not looking at that type of work because of trying to focus on other areas for the time being.BUT.............I do tend to agree with you. And then the thought process has to go to skidsteers and................

For now we'll go for some fun added in if possible! :cool2:

dvmcmrhp52
11-15-2004, 11:55 PM
If you buy a utility quad, 4x4 is a MUST. Spend an extra few bucks and do it up right the first time. Plus, if you ever sell it, you might even get what its worth. 2x4 utility quads are useless and have no resale value. Other than that, I think everyone else has got ya covered.

Thanks ******,
I will give all of this some thought........