PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo Electric Back-pack Sprayer

TSM
11-15-2004, 05:04 PM
we got a few of these 4 gal battery powered back-paks

handy to have....when it operates correctly

heres the problem, half of them do not operate corectly. All were purchased this spring.
this is whats happening, turn on the on/off switch and the things begin spraying automaticly without using the wand lever to turn it on. This is not a huge problem because we only use these sprayers for mosquito control and some shrub insect control. It would be a problem if we used them for herbicides! But regardless what we use them for we would like them to operate properly.
The other thing is that they continue to 'flow' even with the power switch off. Gravity siphons material out of the backpack, so we need to keep that wand up over our heads while walking and when storing them in the truck the wands need to be secured up higher than the backpack itself or we lose product.

So, whats happening? What do we need to do to fix this?

You know, we try out these new technologies to help make the job easier and to get things done quicker...but all they seem to do is cause more aggravation.

Dman1214
11-15-2004, 05:15 PM
that's diappointing to hear - that was/is going to be my backpack sprayer of choice for manual applications. What is a viable alternative - hand pump-free like the Shurflo?

TSM
11-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Dman, these Shurflos have 4 spray settings. I'm not sure of the output of these settings but you need to hit the on/off switch to increase output (on/off switch is located on the bottom of the backpack, so you got to reach your arm around yourself to get at it) In other words we have to hit the on/off 5 times. The first time is the lowest output, second time increases output, so on till the fifth time shuts it off.
When we are using a mosquiro control or an insecticde for shrubs its not that big a deal to have to keep hiting the on/off till it finally shuts off. And the gravity siphoning is aggravating but not damaging to plants though a definate concern for operator safety.
On the other hand, If we were using an herbicide....well you can see how this could be trouble?

The wand has also been a disappointment. Again half of our units have wand issues. The spray tip comes loose where it connects to the aluminum (sp) wand. We have re-glued them...but that is only a temp. fix. Evidently we dont have the correct type of glue?

The other thing I really dont like is that you need to recharge the batteries using AC current. Would be nice if DC were used, we could just recharge from the truck. Sure a converter in the truck converting its power to AC would be a solution. Just would be nice if Shurflo gave an option to charge AC or DC

*sigh*

vegomatic40
11-15-2004, 09:42 PM
I bought one in June with no problems to date. Use it strictly for herbicides and given the considerable cost, it would be great if Shurflo would get a handle on their quality-control and/or design. I was apprehensive about buying it since the weight is quite a bit more than a conventional "walk and pump" but I was sold on the consistency of flow volume. I normally discard cheap hose attachments and use stainless worm clamps. The small Oetiker style clamps just won't stand up to daily use. TSM, I also got rid of the cheap aluminum wand and replaced with a brass one. The adjustable tip is ok for insect/disease app.s but I needed something I could put a flat-fan tip for a true band type spray pattern. A Tee-Jet 8004 works well.

ArizPestWeed
11-18-2004, 02:18 AM
I can't keep track of how many times I've writen this and each time it gets shorter & shorter .

TSM
11-18-2004, 09:59 AM
is there a solution to my problem with the 'on demand' pump,,, demanding to be always on???

ArizPestWeed
11-18-2004, 11:23 AM
TSM
I returned my 2 - 3.5 times to the factory in Calif. for problems and they sent me new ones each time ,
The redesigned the hose connection because of me .
Just return then for new ones , no problem .

TSM
11-18-2004, 11:51 AM
TSM
I returned my 2 - 3.5 times to the factory in Calif. for problems and they sent me new ones each time ,
The redesigned the hose connection because of me .
Just return then for new ones , no problem .
purchased them in the spring some time but it wont hurt to try sending them back
thanks
did you ever have the problem i discribe? just curious

ArizPestWeed
11-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Had every possible problem
Wont turn off.
Bad batteries .
Leaks and leaks .
Pin hole in tank

James Cormier
11-19-2004, 12:26 AM
purchased them in the spring some time but it wont hurt to try sending them back
thanks
did you ever have the problem i discribe? just curious

TSM, I bought one this spring as well, I had no problems at all, nothing, its worked great. I dont like the different speeds, I think it would be best to just have a on/off . I only used it for mosquito control

Jim

Greg Amann
11-19-2004, 08:15 AM
We bought one last month. My first thought is how cheap the wand is. We set ours up with a quick disconnect to go from a single wand, solo type, to a 6 foot wide aluminum 4 spray tip boom. All we have used is the boom and have had no problem. Using it on the highest setting produces a perfect pattern and we get about 4,000 sq. ft. our of each tank. We have been using it to treat golf greens with herbicides. So far so good.

James Cormier
11-19-2004, 08:51 AM
We bought one last month. My first thought is how cheap the wand is. We set ours up with a quick disconnect to go from a single wand, solo type, to a 6 foot wide aluminum 4 spray tip boom. All we have used is the boom and have had no problem. Using it on the highest setting produces a perfect pattern and we get about 4,000 sq. ft. our of each tank. We have been using it to treat golf greens with herbicides. So far so good.

Do you have a link for that "to a 6 foot wide aluminum 4 spray tip boom" or better yet a photo of yours?

TSM
11-19-2004, 09:10 AM
TSM, I bought one this spring as well, I had no problems at all, nothing, its worked great. I dont like the different speeds, I think it would be best to just have a on/off . I only used it for mosquito control

Jim

hey, always my luck. if there is a lemon...seems as though i'm always the one to end up with it! lol

well i guess its not just me..Weed Master seems to have my luck as well....or maybe I have his luck....either way we got screwed.
Had every possible problem
Wont turn off.
Bad batteries .
Leaks and leaks .
Pin hole in tank

Greg Amann
11-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Do you have a link for that "to a 6 foot wide aluminum 4 spray tip boom" or better yet a photo of yours?

I will take a photo and post it. The original had plastic tees and 90's with the tips on them. They eventually broke so we had one custom made at a metal shop near us that was all welded so we could just screw the spray tips onto the boom. No more plastic tees. Works great.