PDA

View Full Version : salt as an herbicide?

TClawn
11-15-2004, 05:37 PM
I am trying to kill killinga in my lawn with salt. I have had limited success with it but have not totally killed off the plant. it seems to set it back but does not kill it completely.

I have used salt, with no ill effect, on seashore paspalum for clover and other weeds that are not conducive to pulling, but due to the succulent nature of the killinga I think that it will take a mega dose of salt to kill it. I'm afraid that I will permanently destroy the soil by using such a large dose salt on the area.

is there any way, besides manage, to kill off killinga?

Ric
11-28-2004, 07:33 PM
I am trying to kill killinga in my lawn with salt. I have had limited success with it but have not totally killed off the plant. it seems to set it back but does not kill it completely.

I have used salt, with no ill effect, on seashore paspalum for clover and other weeds that are not conducive to pulling, but due to the succulent nature of the killinga I think that it will take a mega dose of salt to kill it. I'm afraid that I will permanently destroy the soil by using such a large dose salt on the area.

is there any way, besides manage, to kill off killinga?

Kyllinga brevifolius is in the sedge family and is a product of TOO much water. Now in a recent experiment published in one of the trade journals Seashore Paspalum was shown to grow better when irrigated with 3 parts fresh water to one part Sea Water. PPM of salt were not given. Also there are many nutrients in sea water that were not analyzed or listed. BTW this experiment used USDA greens mix as the growing medium so a lot of leaching occurred due to the lack of CEC. I am not sure what the salt tolorants of Kyllinga is. At 2 parts fresh to one part sea water Seashore paspalum starts to decline. and 1 to 1 it dies.

Bottom line is WHY NOT Manage??? A $ 100 bottle covers an acre and gives good control if you use it on a continuing bases. You know it works and there is no guessing of killing your turf.

Dchall_San_Antonio
11-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Bottom line is WHY NOT Manage??? A $ 100 bottle covers an acre and gives good control if you use it on a continuing bases. You know it works and there is no guessing of killing your turf.The reason is he's trying to be organic - hence the nature of this forum. Also I get the impression he's not a professional, so he doesn't have to stick with the commercial remedies.

Salt won't permanently ruin the soil but it probably won't kill the sedge either. I'm experimenting with a sugar water and milk drench to kill nut sedge. I'm not a very good person to be giving sedge advice because I can kill nutgrass (nut sedge) simply by covering it up with just about any other grass. Don't ask why, because I can't explain it. Nutgrass is not a problem for me. But this experiment is in a new bed where I'm otherwise keeping the grass out.

If you want to be organic, you simply have to skip the chemicals. You might mulch heavily, like four inches of mulch. This will bring the sedge up into the mulch where it is much easier to pull out. If this area was turf you will have a bed for a year or so.

TClawn
12-13-2004, 06:01 PM
I am a professional landscaper and mow lawns. but I do not have a certified applicators license(it takes two years of experience working for someone else) . I have used manage and it does not seem to work that well on the kyllinga, although, I have had good results on yellow and purple nutsedge. btw, I did try the salt and it sets the kyllinga back alot but doesnt't kill it completly.

david, I'd love to know how that sugar, water and milk drench worked. what are the proportions?

if you know of anything else besides manage to kill kyllinga I'd love to hear about it.

Ric
12-14-2004, 02:51 PM
The reason is he's trying to be organic - hence the nature of this forum.

Dave

As a Retired Government Employee who has never deal with the Green Industry on a professional level or had any formal training in Horticulture until this forum, I think you are completely missing the Boat.

As a true Trees Hugger you should Joint the Amish Religion and Grow your own food organically and not use Electric. Remember every time you go to the Grocery Store you are contributing to both woods and water polution by buying Food Products wrapped in card board and plastic. Horse and carriages can be very relaxing to ride in, if your not in a hurry. BTW they will take you home all by themselves, no matter how drunk you are.

TC

Manage must be applied over a long period of time to control Sedges. One application will only start the process that take a while to get control. However Sugar Water and Milk will certain be great food for you Ants and Cockroaches as well as Microbes in your soil. Now the Ants can and will help Aerate your soil, so use a lot of sugar to get a Large population of them.

bobbygedd
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
actually, let me help ric out here. manage should be applied at first sighting of the sprouting sedge. then again two weeks later. this proccess, reapeated 2 yrs in a row, will usually wipe out sedges for good.

Ric
12-15-2004, 07:36 AM
actually, let me help ric out here. manage should be applied at first sighting of the sprouting sedge. then again two weeks later. this proccess, reapeated 2 yrs in a row, will usually wipe out sedges for good.

BooBy

I would give you credit for reading the label but, I know you have been taking classes. Therefore I am sure the info on Manage comes from your instructor. Boy would I hate to have you as a student.

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 08:28 AM
BooBy

I would give you credit for reading the label but, I know you have been taking classes. Therefore I am sure the info on Manage comes from your instructor. Boy would I hate to have you as a student.
it comes from my personal experience. this is the way i've done it, and had success. btw, you'd love me as a student

timturf
12-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Could you see Ric, the teacher, teaching bobby, the student,
or even vise versa, boy I would love to see that!

Ric
12-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Could you see Ric, the teacher, teaching bobby, the student,
or even vise versa, boy I would love to see that!

Tim

Pandemonium would be an understatement in either case.

BooBy

The only reason I am even posting to you today is the weather. We are having the coldest day of the year. I have two pair of Long Johns on and turned the heat up. 16 MPH winds from the NNE and 60% humidity real brings the wind chill factor into play when it is only 37 degrees at sunrise. It has started to warm up just a little but the high temperature is only supposed to be 62 today. December and January are our Coldest months, but this is ridiculous.

Now BooBy since you are the "Manage" expert. Why would it take 2 years to get rid of Sedge?? I mean how strong a plant is Sedge that it would take that much treatment to get rid of??

woodycrest
12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Ric,

Wind chill factor??? you're kidding, right?? lol

soon you'll be lacing up your skates :cool:

timturf
12-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Ric doesn't know what cold is!

Woodycrest, are the fish bitting?

woodycrest
12-15-2004, 02:46 PM
right now one would be swimming before catching any fish.. :cry:

the ice is pretty thin., but it wont be long before the ice fisherman are flocking out there...and the snowmobilers are tempting fate.

Ric
12-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Ric,

Wind chill factor??? you're kidding, right?? lol

soon you'll be lacing up your skates :cool:

Woodycrest & TimsTurf

I am not a Eskimo or a Canadian. I live in South Florida; you know Paradise, the Subtropics, The land of Sunshine, not the land of Sky Blue Ice Water.

Now Please let BooBy answer my Question about Sedge. It is hard enough to get BooBy to give a straight answer if no one messes up the thread, let alone when people start picking it apart. I almost had BooBy telling us everything he knows in a sentence and you guys had to pick on the freezing cold weather. Now BooBy most likely won't bestow his valuable Knowledge on us. He is very proprietary about his knowledge and feels everyone should spend time reading the same comic books he does to get that Professional Knowledge.

timturf
12-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Ric,

will you accept my apology? My mouth is sealed.

How about you woodcrest?

Boobygedd, ric is waiting!!

woodycrest
12-15-2004, 04:19 PM
sorry, Ric, i couldnt resist... :)

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 05:08 PM
before i answer, congradulations you have added yet another aligh(timmyturf) to your small army trying to make themselves seem superior, by trying to belittle me. the fact remains, all your knowledge/education still only allows you to make what your competitors are making. wether or not i answer your question correctly, you will find some flaw in it and go on a rant about how stupid i am. fact is, i know how to effectively treat it, so what's the difference? and i get more than you do to spray for it. once again, useless knowledge. if you were as smart as you all think you are, you'd be making real money, and not by going around destroying the atmosphere and killing yourselves. i'm not impressed by either of you. in fact i think you're both stupid.

Ric
12-15-2004, 06:17 PM
BooBy

Belittle you!! Never. You are the man. Your Moronic Humor is worth it's weight in gold. Oops Humor has no real weight, maybe I should have said that different. No that was right, worth it's weight in Gold.

Now with all your Customer problems I have finally figured you out. Since you can't get along with your customer, you must be an expert in Horticulture. That is the only way you could survive in a tuff New Jerky market. That or a Low Baller. BTW from your post about Employee hourly cost, I must ask. Are you paying him under the table???

Now I will kindly ask TimsTurf to stay out of this thread because I really want to hear what BooBy can teach me about sedge. Milk and sugar water just won't get it for me. Fire Ants are a big problem from the transition zone, south thur Texas and Florida. We also have Cockroaches the size of small frogs. Now Chlordane does have Carbon in it so all of the Orgasmic types can use it for Ant & Cockroach control. BTW you Texas guys can slip over the board and buy all you want.

OK BooBy what is the life cycle of sedge and why does it take 2 or more years to get it under control.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 12:48 AM
i told u before, i will not submit to quizzes. one of your misfit buddies tried, but lost. that was my last quiz. now lets be real, i do know, but even if i didn't, what would stop me from looking it up, and comming back here and typing what i read? do you feel smart, by trying to make others look stupid? i am an admitted 10th grade drop out. i have nothing to hide. if i don't know something, i'll admit it.

Ric
12-16-2004, 07:26 AM
i told u before, i will not submit to quizzes. one of your misfit buddies tried, but lost. that was my last quiz. now lets be real, i do know, but even if i didn't, what would stop me from looking it up, and comming back here and typing what i read? do you feel smart, by trying to make others look stupid? i am an admitted 10th grade drop out. i have nothing to hide. if i don't know something, i'll admit it.

BooBy

Here I have been mis-lead all these years. I was under the impression that Lawnsite was for the exchange of Green Industry information. I am asking a question about Sedge and you admit you know the answer. But you won't tell me because you have an EGO problem??? Maybe this explains why BooBy almighty is really BooBy Almost. Now I don't think with holding information goes along with Lawnsite philosophy. When Have I never answered a Green Industry question for you??? I give it to you all the time.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 08:53 AM
but, the motivation behind your quiz is not to share information, but rather to pick my answer apart, in gang like fashion.

Ric
12-16-2004, 09:45 AM
but, the motivation behind your quiz is not to share information, but rather to pick my answer apart, in gang like fashion.

BooBy

you have the Napoleon Complex, Paranoid Delusions of Grandeur. I seriously worry about your mental health. Do you Drink Too Much?? Smoke Dope?? Seek Attention on the Internet?? Gamble on Horse Races?? Then get to a good therapist you need one.

seven-up
12-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Adler said that napoleon complex was part paranoia? I thought it was just a form of inferiority....

Ric
12-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Adler said that napoleon complex was part paranoia? I thought it was just a form of inferiority....

Seven Up

I am not Adler the world famous Published Doctor, so my diagnosis of BooBy psychoses may be a little off. However Inferiority Complex sure fits BooBy's post to a Tee. Note how defensive he gets when even ask a simple question. Of course the statement about being ganged up on is classic Paranoia. Certainly no one will denie he has Delusions of Grandeur after the BooBy Almighty thing. Yes we need to pity BooBy instead of giving him a hard time. But he is just a stray Dog that everyone likes to kick.

hole in one lco
12-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Nutsedge is neither a true grass nor a broadleaf weed . This makes it very hard to control, It survives by small underground nutlets and can also spread by rhizomes.

timturf
12-16-2004, 01:31 PM
back on the subject matter again!!

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Nutsedge is neither a true grass nor a broadleaf weed . This makes it very hard to control, It survives by small underground nutlets and can also spread by rhizomes.
we refer to them as tubors(you know ric, like the thing your gerbil crawls up)

Ric
12-16-2004, 03:41 PM
we refer to them as tubors(you know ric, like the thing your gerbil crawls up)

BooBy

Thank You for a very informative reply. I have already learned something. Here I was under the impression they were called Nut-lets and were Tuber like. Now I will not touch upon the your gerbil or where he might crawl up into. Remember I am from the Sunshine State, Not the sun doesn't shine state.

Please go on and explain more about sedge and how manage works. I am all ears.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 03:44 PM
i refused to be quizzed by someone who allows gerbils to , well, you know. that's gross. i heard of it, but you're the first person i actually know personally who does it. have you spoken to a doctor?

Ric
12-16-2004, 04:05 PM
i refused to be quizzed by someone who allows gerbils to , well, you know. that's gross. i heard of it, but you're the first person i actually know personally who does it. have you spoken to a doctor?

BooBy

Your the one who owns a gerbil and says it is for your kids. You are the one who brought up the subject about the gerbils. End of Gerbil story, however this is just another BooBy ploy to get out of bestowing knowledge to the unwashed masses. Now if you spend as much time reading trade journals as you do racing forum and benting your elbow, you might be able to actually answer the question.

Now what ever you do, please don't answer the question at hand. You would break your record of over 6,000 posts of pure dribble.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 04:08 PM
all i know is that you should be ashamed of yourself for what you do to those poor gerbils. the animal rights activists would be all over you for that.

Ric
12-16-2004, 04:35 PM
all i know is that you should be ashamed of yourself for what you do to those poor gerbils. the animal rights activists would be all over you for that.

Alright BooBy

Glad to see you actually take my advice.

Back to your old Dribble. It fits your mental ability much better. Why waste your valuable time on Education and other requirements . Heck just tell your customer to pay Cash. Saves you a bundle of money and you can cheat yourself and pass the saving on to your customer.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 06:15 PM
laim ric, very laim. do these folks a favor, don't corrupt this forum also.

TClawn
12-16-2004, 08:22 PM
ric, now I AM interested in how exactly manage works.

Ric
12-16-2004, 09:21 PM
ric, now I AM interested in how exactly manage works.

TC

First you have to know how sedge grows. Water Loving it establishes easily in very wet soil conditions. However once the soil is allowed to drain Sedge will still grow and propagate. Fertilize your turf and you fertilize the Sedge. Sedge is not a broad weed or grassy weed. So herbicide will only stun it. Now as Sedge grows it sends out roots which then forum little Nut-lets. The nut-let send out roots to forum more nut-lets. Now one sedge plant can have 30 or more nut-lets in a long chain.

Basagram only burns the tops off and really doesn't get the nut-let. Manage is somewhat systemic and can kill 3 nut-let back down the chain of nut-lets. However the 27 nut-let are still alive and under ground. They grow one new plant and 2 more nut-lets before you apply the next treatment. So the manage treatment suppress the sedge and after enough treatments over a long period of time you finally get control.

TClawn
12-16-2004, 09:48 PM
but what does manage actually do to the plant? I noticed that ther was a slow down in growth of the plant about 3 days after it was applied. does it keep it from getting nutrients or something?

Ric
12-17-2004, 07:25 AM
but what does manage actually do to the plant? I noticed that ther was a slow down in growth of the plant about 3 days after it was applied. does it keep it from getting nutrients or something?

TC

I would do you a bigger favor if I told you to look up "MODE OF ACTION" on the label. Then you would know how to find the answer and not just ask the question. Now if you have a BlueBook T&O then the answer is in the yellow page or MODE OF ACTION section of the book.

You know someone should teach a class on label reading. I see more Question ask here that the answers are right on the label. The label is the LAW.

TClawn
12-17-2004, 01:00 PM
ric, I read the lable 3 times. and my dad read it once.

Norm Al
12-21-2004, 12:04 PM
mode of action: first you sedate the gerbil, then bobby goes and gets some PVC pipe?

Ric
12-21-2004, 01:15 PM
mode of action: first you sedate the gerbil, then bobby goes and gets some PVC pipe?

Norm Al

I think BooBy will need at least a 6" id pipe to eliminate frames from shooting out around it. However since you are north of me and closer to BooBy, I will let you insert the PVC pipe. I really don't want any part of BooBy or his Gerbil.

Dchall_San_Antonio
01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
As long as you're reading the label, find the part that allows Manage to be used in an organic program. It ain't there.

Ric, while I respect all you've learned in the green industry all these years, on this forum it doesn't matter. You are not contributing to the intent of this forum. This forum is not here just so you have a one-stop place to write your personal sarcasm and anti organic comments. The point of THIS FORUM is to help industry professionals learn how to apply organic materials for clients who want an organic program. In this case there doesn't seem to be an organic solution (yet). You have not contributed a single syllable of an organic solution to the original problem. So I'm going to ask you gently to stop contributing to this forum unless and until you have something helpful to say. I think I speak for many of us in saying that your negative contributions and baiting will not be missed.

For the record, my milk and sugared nutgrass is severely stunted. Adjacent to the stuff I treated is a sprig that is in no way stunted. I only treated it once. But also to reiterate, nutgrass really doesn't seem to last long in my yard under ideal circumstances.

Also for the record, organic gardeners and ranchers know that fire ants are repelled by sugar, not attracted by it.

Since there is no organic solution to this problem, and the thread is more disgusting than discussed, I'm closing it to future comments. If anyone would like to open a new thread to discuss my decision, please take it to the Off Topic forum.