PDA

View Full Version : for you radio listeners: XM walkmans!

tonygreek
11-15-2004, 06:45 PM
finally, Delphi now has walkman-type headsets for XM Satellite radio. :drinkup: as someone who listens to the radio for 8+ hours a day, this is as close to a dream come true as i can think of. 1st generation only has a battery life of 5 hours per charge, and is $349, but it's a start.

tony

NelsonLandworks
11-15-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm still working on getting a regular radio type headset, i''ve got a lot of catching up to do!

Harleyboy52
11-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi, I'm new to the site and also new to the commercial lawn business but I use an Iriver MP3 player and can hear it just fine. It has an FM radio that works good and can hold 85 songs downloaded from the web. It's the size of a tube of lipstick.

NelsonLandworks
11-16-2004, 08:26 AM
i use a dell mp3 player. it's a little bigger than a pack of cigerettes, and it holds 2,000+ songs. I'm looking into getting a fm headset for the morning show that we have around here

ztoro
11-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Ipod, 4000 songs and still adding, thinner than a pack of cigs but a little taller.

mtdman
11-16-2004, 01:41 PM
I have a couple pairs of Peltors that I picked up this year from walmart on clearance. They work better than regular headphones for dampening noise. I don't listen to music on them, I go for talk and sports talk. I wouldn't mind a pair of XM headphones, but not for $350.

all ferris
11-16-2004, 03:47 PM
What about sirrius? Howard Stern is going to Sirrius in the next year and I would like to be able to listen to him when he moves. I would pay $350 for a set of QUALITY peltor style headphones. I would like to see bose make a set that is cordless or like peltors with the radio built right into the ear piece. I use peltors for now but I wish they had better sound quality, push button presets, and possibly MP3 capibility/satelite radio. Anything to keep my sanity while I'm mowing. It gets old listening to AM/FM all the time.

TURF DOCTOR
11-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Got a boombox here 2 feet by 1 feet deep just a few zip ties on my back and i am set.

tonygreek
11-16-2004, 08:38 PM
mtd, that's exactly why i love xm. music bores me to tears with the repetition, so i'm a talk radio fiend if for no other reason than a bit o' brain stimulation. it'd be nice to have an option other than espradio (not the same without the mr. tony show) and rush limbaugh on 4 stations.

i'd guess by mid-summer, we should have better, cheaper version 2.

tony

K c m
11-16-2004, 09:04 PM
3 Phish shows a day :)

DFW Area Landscaper
11-16-2004, 09:33 PM
How is the talk radio on that XM? If the talk radio is good, I'd sign up for one.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Lawnworks
11-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I am not real impressed w/ talk on XM. Two basic talk shows.. one for dems and one for repub. I don't think they have Rush, so the talk is not worth listening to, but I like the music.

dwc
11-16-2004, 11:10 PM
I have XM in my truck and its pretty cool. Just like listening to a cd...very clear. go to xmradio.com and you can check out what they have and even listen to some online.

Steve9
11-17-2004, 02:08 AM
You guys seen then new Oakley Sunglasses with the MP3 built in? They look pretty darn cool but they want over $300 I believe. Saw some in one of the ads this weekend.

http://oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/thump/?cm_re=V32*FeaturedImage*ThumpLilJon

NelsonLandworks
11-17-2004, 08:33 AM
You guys seen then new Oakley Sunglasses with the MP3 built in? They look pretty darn cool but they want over $300 I believe. Saw some in one of the ads this weekend.

http://oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/thump/?cm_re=V32*FeaturedImage*ThumpLilJon

good idea, but they look pretty ugly IMO

tonygreek
11-17-2004, 10:07 AM
xmradio.com and view the entire channel list. there are quite a few talk channels (not just politics).

HighGrass
11-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Did I read some where that Delphi had an Sat Radio that you can add to your car that nasically sends a signal to your FM radio? If so, Iwonder if it could act as a repeator to a set of peltors? That would be pretty neat?

dwc
11-17-2004, 12:22 PM
they have one here http://www.xmradio.com/roady2/
not sure how far it will broadcast in FM but it would be cool if it would broadcast it a long way because the peltors would work with it.

horseman201
11-17-2004, 12:37 PM
SIRIUS is great. Over the winter I am looking at building a box to mount my reciever in and listen to on the mower using a headset. you never get tired of listening to the same old thing with XM or SIRIUS.

Gautreaux's LNG
11-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Used the Peltors for 2 seasons great for the money, Batterys lasted a long time also.Had a couple of college students who used the MP3 players. they would record alot of songs on it. The good thing about the peltors it the cut out the outside noise so you can play the radio at a comfortable level or you could crank it up on a good song.

Team Gopher
11-17-2004, 04:20 PM
http://www.xmradio.com/images/myfi/prod_img_1.gif

Very Nice

http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/

brucec32
11-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Music can get old fast if you listen to it 5 hours a day, day after day. XM has lots of news and talk shows.

If the $350 is too much, they have a device out called an "armie" that you slide your XM roady or roady 2 into. It has a battery pack and antenna in it and straps to your arm. Not as light as the new expensive unit, but it works and riding a ZTR it would be fine. I wouldn't try trimming hedges with it on, though.

The advantage of this setup is you can also use it in any vehicle or in your home with the right accessories. No 2nd XM account to pay for.