PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat 8hp briggs IC problem

SummitLLC
11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
I can't seem to figure it out. It will idle, throttle up to max, die out, go back to full throttle and keeps repeating that. Anyone ever have this problem? Can someone please help me figure it out? Thanks. Appreciate the help!
Josh

Travis Followell
11-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Not enough info. Does it throttle up and die out with the throttle in the idle position?

SummitLLC
11-15-2004, 09:58 PM
it idles fine...the problem is only when it is up at full throttle.
Josh

Runner
11-15-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm sorry....please explain a little better exactly what it's doing. Does it do this on it's own, like if you step away from it? Or, is it dying out once you've taken it up to full throttle and stall out, or what?

SummitLLC
11-15-2004, 10:57 PM
After you throttle it up to full power, it will die out almost to the point where it will stall, then come back to full power. It would do it constantly if i left it. The only problem is when it is at full power.
Josh

Envy Lawn Service
11-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Most likely it is water in the fuel system. It's reving up and down right? Runs ok a lower rpm, but when you throttle up and/or get under load it chokes out, recovers, revs back up, chokes out... repeatedly.... vrooom-vrooom-vrooom....

Drain everything throughly and blow out what you can. Change the fuel filter, change plug if needed, re-fill with gas and stabilizer to take care of any water left behind. Let it run a bit a low rpm and ease it up sucessively until max rpm. This should clear it right up.

If not, you have governor or carb issues that will need to be looked at.

Runner
11-16-2004, 02:22 AM
There you go. There's not a better answer than that. Exactly in that order, too. It DOES sound like a governor issue, though. Many of times with water in the system, it wants to just quit completely. Definitely change the fuel over though. Did you have it running at all this season, or did you just get it out and started? If the latter is the case (and I hope it is), it would more than likely be the fuel in the line. Also, perhaps just some dry gas might help.

Tvov
11-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Did anyone mention checking the air filter? This sometimes happens with dirty air filters. My 25hp Kawasaki does this all the time. If I am in a rush, I just blow it out, and when I get the chance I replace the air filter.