PDA

View Full Version : f150 4.6 V8 oil leak

stevesmowing
11-15-2004, 06:25 PM
I have oil leaking from the engine I can't tell if it is from the intake manifold or the head gasket. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? How hard is the head gasket to change? I know it will take a while. I have never done anything like this before but wouln't mind doing it if I can.

bugspit
11-15-2004, 06:56 PM
sure it's not a valve cover gasket leaking?

stevesmowing
11-15-2004, 07:35 PM
It didn't seem real wet around it.

Eric 1
11-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Maybe check the timing cover seal and gasket. I doubt it would be the intake.

Is the oil coming from the top or bottom front or back part of the engine.

P.S. A head gasket is not a good place to start into mechanics without some experienced help. Especially on an engine with overhead cam, if you do not set it back in perfect timing or dont toque the rockers and head bolts just right it will never run right again. I know, i have done lots. It is my hobby.

stevesmowing
11-16-2004, 09:38 AM
the oil is leaking from the passanger side on the back of the engine. It doesn't seem to be leaking up by the valve cover. I had someone take a look at it and they thought it was the head gasket. I have to see if he would be willing to help me change it or not. The labor time on it I saw was 10 hours.

bugspit
11-16-2004, 09:53 AM
it's a long shot but, have you talked to the dealer concerning any recalls?

BTW, what's the age and mileage on this truck?

stevesmowing
11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
1997 f150 2wd 95,000 miles. I am the second owner of the truck. Was there a recall on this?

xcopterdoc
11-16-2004, 08:09 PM
No recall but its a very well known problem on 4.6. Pulling the heads on one of these is NOT and I repeat NOT for the sqeamish! If you'll notice Ford decided to set the engine back into the firewall. Plus its an overhead cam motor. The reason the headgasket leaks is because metal shaving were left on the engine prior to assembly. Sooner or later they leak. Much "fun" and much $$ to fix.

stevesmowing
11-16-2004, 08:29 PM
should I be looking to replace both at the same time or just the one that is leaking? I didn't know the 4.6 has this problem I thought it was the 4.2. Oh well what can you do lol.

xcopterdoc
11-16-2004, 08:35 PM
The 4.2 in the 97 98 99 models had the front cover leaking coolant into the oil pan, which in turn wiped out the crankshaft main bearings. The 4.6 was the rear of the pass side headgaskets. If yur gonna go that far and keep the truck, yes, I would do both. have someone do it that is well versed in the procedure so you dont have any future problems.

Eric 1
11-16-2004, 10:11 PM
No recall but its a very well known problem on 4.6. Pulling the heads on one of these is NOT and I repeat NOT for the sqeamish! If you'll notice Ford decided to set the engine back into the firewall. Plus its an overhead cam motor. The reason the headgasket leaks is because metal shaving were left on the engine prior to assembly. Sooner or later they leak. Much "fun" and much $$ to fix.

Thank you.

Sounds like Ford had some quality issues there.

LawnBoy89
11-17-2004, 03:26 PM
I don't think so. I have the same truck except 4X4 with other 100k miles and no leaking. I don't understand how it can take 10 hours. Well anyways, if you are going to do it yourself a good idea is to take pictures each step so you know how everything goes back together.

xcopterdoc
11-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Not EVERY F-150 leaked. Alot did, which is why there is a TSB out on it and another that addresses the procedures to repair it. Alldata calls out 9.9 to removed and replace one gasket, it calls out 11. something to r/r both head gaskets.. so that being said, I would have em do both. Cheaper than doing the other later an dhaving to pay for 9.9 hrs again later. These newer modular Ford engines aint yur Daddys or Granpappys engines. Different animal altogether. I dont often give advice to have a dealer do a repair. Most reputable independant shops do good work. However, in this case, I would have the dealer do this one. They have seen a slew of em, have the parts on hand and can hook you up and get you back to normal quickly. Just my 2 cents.. aint my money of course.