PDA

View Full Version : Floating deck

trails end lawn
11-15-2004, 07:54 PM
I have a 61" Scag Tiger Cub it has been a great mower but i have had trouble with it scalping constantly. This does happen even when i set the deck up high 3". How do i tell if it is a floating or a fixed deck. I know this sounds like a stupid question but the sales man told me it was floating so i took his word for it. Just seems like it should not be scalping this much or is it something i am doing very wrong. Thanks a Bunch.

tt

HOOLIE
11-16-2004, 01:13 AM
A floating deck is the kind of deck that you can raise or lower with a lever. A fixed deck, you have to adjust the cutting height by moving caster spacers, blade spacers and the rear axle.

I'm pretty sure your machine is floating.

work_it
11-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Your deck is a floating deck, but that doesn't mean that it won't scalp. The floating deck is suspended by a lever and a couple chains. You just need to learn the machine and realize its abilities. When you're rounding the top of a hill or burm you need to use the foot lever to lift the deck slightly. If you have to; just go back and touch it up with a trimmer to blend any grass that's left a little too long.

JKOOPERS
11-17-2004, 08:15 PM
might wanna get an exmark :waving:

work_it
11-17-2004, 08:23 PM
might wanna get an exmark :waving:guess you're going to also tell him that exmarks won't scalp? :confused:

HOOLIE
11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Every kind of mower can and will scalp in certain situations. Even with the anti-scalp rollers. You just have to "re-learn" how to cut each customer's lawn every time you use a new machine.

tiedeman
11-18-2004, 04:52 PM
very good advice hoolie. I have customers lawns that I have been doing for 5+ years and depending on the property type I always scalp the lawn in certain areas. I can't avoid it

dcondon
11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
On our Cub Tanks we pin the front end in so it dosen't move. Works best for us!!!