PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Ideers!!

Lawnworks
11-15-2004, 09:06 PM
What are some new ideers on advertising. I am planning on spending 20k or so on advertising throughout the year. I am beginning to think marketing is the key to expansion. I keep hearing how "word of mouth" is the best way, but I think it takes more than that to get to up to 300k a year. Anyways some advertising I am planning on is flyers, door hangers, billboards, trucks heavily "logo-ed", yellow pages, yard signs. I am thinking about color flyers for a few prominent neighborhoods. Any other ideas? Radio? Sending info or care packages to commercial clients. Is a web site worth the trouble? I think the idea is to have your name/logo embrazened in their head, so when they need someone you have already established credibility.

lawnMaster5000
11-15-2004, 09:35 PM
I am planning on sending a letter to my current mowing clientele asking them to sign up for snow removal services from my company. I was wondering if anyone had such a letter prepared and if they would be so kind as to share it.

I will also be sending a separate letter to the clients of 3 other companies. These other companies do not provide snow service and i thought that would be a great opportunity to advertise.

Thanks for your help.

The LawnSmith
11-15-2004, 09:39 PM
What about an article in your local newspaper giving tips and techniques to the public on having a beautiful lawn, spring clean up ideas, when and what to plant where, etc.. with your name and company as the author ..As the year progresses, add tips that apply for the season. If the ideas are credible, you establish yourself as a professional that customers can relate with...

Just an Ideer!!

gogetter
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Are you looking for lawn maintenance (mowing) customers, or landscape install customers?

If you're looking for mowing accounts, I think I'd blow the whole 20K wad on door hangers. This way you can pick the neighborhoods you want to have lawn accounts in. This will keep your route tight.

If you're looking for landscape work, you just need to be seen by as many people as possible, even if it means a bigger service area. So for that, I'd say yellow pages, newspaper ads, yard signs, website and lettered trucks.

HOOLIE
11-16-2004, 12:08 AM
gogetter has got the right idea. I too would spend the 20k on targeting specific neighborhoods with hangers/flyers. I'd try to beef up the areas you already have a lot of clients in.

And you are right, while word of mouth is great, its a slow-growth way to pick up new clients. To aggresively expand you need to do more than that.

work_it
11-16-2004, 12:36 AM
One of the LCOs I talked with this season tried the Shop Wise advertizing bundle. Don't know if you have them in your area, but it's all the little plastic bags you see laying on doorsteps with select ads from local stores. He paid $300/month and only had to provide a flyer he wanted distributed. They made all the copies and delivered it to 3 zip code areas (he selected). He ended up getting so much business that he had to put a second crew on the road.

PLM-1
11-16-2004, 12:48 AM
One of the LCOs I talked with this season tried the Shop Wise advertizing bundle. Don't know if you have them in your area, but it's all the little plastic bags you see laying on doorsteps with select ads from local stores. He paid $300/month and only had to provide a flyer he wanted distributed. They made all the copies and delivered it to 3 zip code areas (he selected). He ended up getting so much business that he had to put a second crew on the road.

this sounded good to me. i went to their website but couldn't really find what i needed. how do you find out if they work my area?

kootoomootoo
11-16-2004, 09:37 AM
A few less "deers" and hire a salesman or hire a foreman and sell it your self.

twins_lawn_care
11-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Think different than any other LCO, and stand out
Donate prizes to local charities doing raffles, and organizations, and local sports teams. Give yearly service as a prize (maybe worth $1500) write it off as advertising, and your name will be up everywhere they sell tickets to it. Lots of schools, and community programs are always looking for donations, and it's a great way to get your name seen, and associated with "good doings" in the neighborhood. 20k is a lot to work with, think different.

organize a free neighborhood BBQ/block party, and spend maybe $2000, and reach over 500 people.

do something people will remember, and if you plan an event like that, make sure people know about it.

I'm still a small company, so my views may be a bit different, but the point is to stand out.

Maybe since you are looking to grow to a larger scale, offer a prize of say $1000 to the first one of your current customers who sign up 5 more yearly contracts! look at it as advertising expense, and you will get more and more referrals. $1000, or $100 will get people talking!

Lawnworks
11-16-2004, 04:05 PM
A few less "deers" and hire a salesman or hire a foreman and sell it your self.

What I want my advertising to do is for people to remember my name so when they need someone they will call. How would you use a salesman or sell it yourself? Sure they might invite you to bid, but low bidding would be necessary. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Team Gopher
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
The LawnSmith,

That is a great idea.

Lawnmaster5000,

I am planning on sending a letter to my current mowing clientele asking them to sign up for snow removal services from my company.
This isn't a letter but maybe the design will inspire you. Click image to link to download file.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/winter-flyer-2-preview.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=942)

LLCO
11-19-2004, 10:06 PM
It is not often that someone is willing to dedicate these types of dollars to this type of advertising. It is kind of refreshing..

20K is a lot of money to spend on "advertising." In the market that I am part of, I could drop 200,000+ flyers, do a couple newspaper display ad's and even do some radio. The problem is that with a .5% response rate that would be 1,000+ calls that I would never be able to return.

If you are looking for long term awareness: radio, billboard, cable tv, newspaper advertising are all good ideas. I would spread them throughout the year to get reach and frequency. The rule of thumb is that someone that is not actively seeking services needs to see an advertisement 3 times to "stick". That is a good steady diet of broad tactics (boards, radio, mail, tv, etc..) If you are looking for awareness I'd recommend a nice yellow pages ad or a vanity number (800-Lawn-works) to draw it all together.

If you are looking for direct response (need yards now) dump a heavy part of the $$$'s into mailers, flyers, etc. Be prepared for the calls and make sure that you can get back to them.

I think lawnworks suggestion makes the good sense.. pay the 15-20K in salary and a commission and let a sales person generate revenue. A good sales person should be able to pay back his/her salary in no time.

Good Luck...