PDA

View Full Version : ever been yelled out by customer's neighbor

bettergrass
11-15-2004, 10:13 PM
i was cutting yesterday with my 36 inch 15 hp wb on a corner lot in a neighborhood. i had been 10 mins into the front lot and i see one there neighbors walking toward me....hes a really Russian guy who speaks little English. well i have done some tree pruning and some mowings for them so i got kinda happy to see him walking toward me thinking he will want a fall cleanup. he comes up to me and starts to tell me that i need to pack up my stuff and go somewhere else for an hour while he trys to sleep. this is at 4 in the afternoon Sunday, apparently he works night shift so this is his sleep time. well i tell him that i cant just leave a lawn half done and i have no more houses near by to cut....he tells me that I'm stupid have no brain and no respect so i shrug my shoulders and say sorry but its 4pm. so he walks away and not mention that as he walks his other neighbor fires up his weedwacker to start cutting himself. well me being 16 call my dad and ask him what to do cause the guy seem pissed. dad says keep cutting theres no ordinance and i don't have the time because of day light savings. so i keep cutting well as I'm cutting i look behind me and i see this figure approaching me agian....i jump off and look at him...he yells at me....DO YOU HAVE NO BRAIN ARE YOU DUMB OR SOMETHING....GO TAKE A WALK AND GET OUT OF HERE FOR 30 MINS. while he is saying this he has his fist clinched like he wants to throw a punch at me. i told him very politely....sir i cant do that im sorry you have to work the nights but sundays are a big work day for me.

he finally walks away and i heard nothing more of him but for the rest of that job i had to check my back and cause me 25 more mins including the arguing.

i guess i lost this guy for some of the services i provided him.....i realize im 16 but i mean jesus was i at any wrong here....

fyi my shift keys are broke sorry for the poor typing

qps
11-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Had a old "blind lady" try to beat me down with her cane....thank god for the ROPS on my Kubota tractor or she would have nailed me good. property manager told me to call the police on her but I was to much of a man (embarassed) to do it...thought I was gonna have jump off my tractor and put the smack down on her...all because I was tearing up her yard alittle with my grader box :p

sildoc
11-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Nothing new. I get more complaints from the neighbors than I do my customers. I find that if someone can not aford(sp) me or are to frugle to solicite my services that they will complain more than the actual people that you mow for.
I have had the police called a few times for starting at 7am. The local ordinance says that you can not start till 7 so that is what I do. Most of the cops have my cell number if they get a complaint they usually call me and let me know. I make sure that I am in full accordance with local and state laws. Trust me I have a guy down the street that has nothing better to do than to give me crap. Oh well alls fair in love and WAR!

Pecker
11-16-2004, 12:36 AM
It might not hurt to notify the police of the incident so that if this guy does it again and it gets nasty, it'll already be documented that he treatened you. Also, I'd take this as a wake-up call. Since it has happened, if it happens again it is much more likely to result in violence. Watch your back and keep the something to defend yourself handy in case you have to defend your 16 year old self against a grown adult. He can hurt you alot easier than you can hurt him (hand to hand). Keep that in mind.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Don't let it get to you some people are born jerks allot of it has to do with you're age or how you look I am long since past the clinched fist crap. Get your self some sunglasses and look like you want to kill someone they tend not to bother you then LOL. I happen to be very easy going and about the only thing they can do to get my wrath is disrespect my workers or partner that is the line as far as I am concerned. I have had my own customers think they were real tuff guys chewing out my partner only to run in their homes when I got involved and I am not that big at 175 pounds. Just donít get the habit of take too much crap from people especially if you do not work for them.

HOOLIE
11-16-2004, 01:03 AM
I don't get so much neighbors yelling as I get the stupid little comments like "You're parked in front MY house" (its a public road, a-hole) and my personal favorite "You know, you're not cutting over enough. The property line is actually 4 inches farther than what you're cutting now" (would it strain them to cut those 4"?)

A lot of neighbors just don't get it. If you live in a development, you have to put up with a certain amount and level of noise, traffic, etc. They don't have the right to complete quiet and solitude.

work_it
11-16-2004, 01:17 AM
That is one of the reasons I won't work on residential jobs on Sunday, but I also realize a lot of you don't have that option. It just becomes a pain in the butt to deal with jerks who want to bully somebody. I don't run into that very often since I'm 6'2" and weigh 210 lbs. When somebody approaches me with a clinched fist I won't hesitate to step down off my mower with a scowl and a dead stare while telling them that I'm not in the mood to put up with their b.s. so get lost. It hasn't failed me so far. Just remember that diplomacy will usually difuse a situation, but there will come a time you'll have to scare the crap out of someone. :mad:

HighGrass
11-16-2004, 01:49 AM
I sounds like you didn't everything you could do. The only think I might have done to drive home the point was ask him if he minded paying a fee for you leaving to cover yourtime, truckingand everything and then telling him that in the future you'll make a note if he needs to sleep.

People that work 2nd and 3rd shift HAVE to expect that this kind of thing...don't they? I mean my god, the world can't come to a freakin stop because they sleep during the day.

daycab
11-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Hey moefb,
I too work nights. However, it's not your fault that I work bizare hours. I would recommend that your Russian customer wear ear plugs while trying to sleep during the day. I do, and they work great.

puppypaws
11-16-2004, 08:07 AM
It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round , I personally beleive it would run a lot smoother with a few less idiots. You need to always make sure to report the problems you have with people to the police so it will be documented. The problem with living in our day and time is that you never know who may just walk back out the door and shoot you for absolutely no reason because they think as far as they are concerned bad days only happen to them.

Tvov
11-16-2004, 08:18 AM
say sorry but its 4pm. so he walks away and not mention that as he walks his other neighbor fires up his weedwacker to start cutting himself.

Well, you weren't there early in the morning, and as you say the neighbor was even running his equipment. Get used to this, and try to be calm when dealing with such people.

So, in answer to your question, YES we have been yelled at by customer's neighbor!

outrunjason
11-16-2004, 09:06 AM
A lady was tired of me parking in front of her house while I was mowing my grandmothers lawn and would yell at me every time that I came out to mow. Finally one day I turned around and she had the water hose on and was spraying the inside of my truck with water. The window was down. Little did she know I just happened to have a video camera in my car cause I do freelance video work on the side. I got it out and got her on tape spraying my truck, cursing at me and my guy, and she sprayed my camera. In all she cause $2,000 in damages and was charged with felony criminal Mischief. But, after going to the grand jury she got misdemeanor criminal mischief and had to pay $2000.00 in damages to my cam and my truck.

Stick to your guns if you are in the right screw em. I can't tell you how many times we have been yelled at for mowing to early. We start at 7:00 and that is legal here and we are there no more than 20 min. Sometimes people will come out and get there paper and just give you that look.

GIT R DONE

Jason In DFW

36" Lesco
1 21" Exmark
1 21" Toro
2 STIHL Weed Eaters
1 STHL Stick Edger
1 Echo Trimmer
1 Poulan chain saw

geogunn
11-16-2004, 09:40 AM
In my neighborhood there is a women with TOURETTS SYNDROME.......and she lives about three streets over from me.

my first experience with her was the weekend they moved in. I was walking the dog and she came out of the house and blessed me out real good! :realmad:

I was flabbergasted at what she had to say! and then the next day the neighbors started calling the police and they were out there about every two hours.

sooooo..........NOW they know the woman has a problem and rarely is there a situation where they have to go to the house.

but it is soooooo funny to hear from people she has just blessed out. LOL! they are usually dumbfounded and speechless when she gets done with them!

GEO :)

brentsawyer
11-16-2004, 09:49 AM
To alot of people including myself, Sunday is a day of rest. I had a crew that mowed a house across the street from me every Sunday for 8 weeks last year, really ruined a part of each Sunday for me. I'm a little on the side of the Russian, maybe stop working Sunday's. I know I was 16 once and mowed about 25 lawns, never worked Sunday's though. Any other day of the week, you're definitely not in the wrong and have every right to be there. However, Saturdays, I don't do any mowing before 9:30 and stop at 5 in the summer. Only had one Saturday this year that came into play and actually finished up around 6pm.

bettergrass
11-16-2004, 06:16 PM
if your saying for religious reasons i shouldnt work i can understand im a catholic and attend a catholic hs in Cincinnati......but its my personal belief that if i go to church sunday god wont have a problem with me making money after mass......and if people want to get into it i believe the bible says your supposed to sit and worship all day not just lay around....

nice to hear your responses though....i cant say i can agree with trying to act like a hard guy to the people who complain....im 6'1 but that still doesnt mean if someone approaches me like that im gonna try to scare him, not to mention this guy was much smaller than me. i feel that if you leave situations like that being the bigger person hes gonna walk home and really feel like a dumb shi ..... plus neighbors take notice and will note the way you handle stuff

all of you are right though....it is sad that theres a good chance that someone could just be having a bad day and start to shoot at one of us after situations like this

i want to ask the one guy with the water in the truck how did you get your camera that was in the truck while she was hosing the truck down...was she that ******ed that she kept going while you filmed her...

by the way i appreciate y'all not down sizing me for my age that much it really means a lot on here when i put a post up and i dont get 3 replys per a page talking about me being only 16 and i cant do this and that

thanks guys

rodfather
11-16-2004, 06:27 PM
You only have to say 3 things to a PITA neighbor:

1. Shut your hole.
2. Go back into your house and mind your own business.
3. Bother me again on my customer's property, I will call the police and file a complaint.

Trust me, this works...

Petr51488
11-16-2004, 06:29 PM
I for one would never work on a Sunday. I wouldn't get pissed if someone else was doing work, but like i said i never work on Sunday's. - Peter

SodKing
11-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Well Moef.. since your new to this business and a little green I will telll you how to rectify this situation. First turn towards the russian dude and hold your arm straight out. Hold your hand so that your palm is facing YOU, now hold it out like you have counted to five and retract your thumb, index finger, ring finger, and pinkie. There, you have just told that russian MF what to do.

BTW I think you actually handled the situation very well.

bettergrass
11-16-2004, 07:26 PM
this sounds dumb but i actually sat there and did what you said to do....didnt realize you meant to give the bird at first...thought it was some russain slang you knew or something lol

Lux Lawn
11-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I do a lawn next to this old lady meanest lady I ever met in my life when doing clean-ups or cutting if a blade of grass or a leaf goes over on here lawn she will throw it back over at you like she is almost going to hit you with it.She watches you every week the whole time we are there and a new employee forget it she will be all over him telling him where the property line is as soon as we are out of the truck,but the funny thing is she thinks she has6 inches past the fence (so won't let me cut it she has to cut it with a 21 inch mower) when my customer had the property surveyed she was wrong but still has to harass us every week.

hole in one lco
11-16-2004, 09:57 PM
well iv had 2 this year
1. I was cutting a weed account all the houses are weed accounts in this neighborhood lady comes out screaming im throwing clippings on her yard. Me your yard is 99% weeds what do you care. Her we bag. Me i don't. while as she walked away i engaged the blades and showed her with clippings.

2. I was cutting a hight end residential guy comes out screaming at me to stop right now . I say i cant sir sorry so i go back to cutting meanwhile he is chasing me around the yard. Well as im loading the mower he grabs me buy the shoulder. So he got a 2 peas to the mouth. I blow and leave he is still on the tree lawn. My customer is a cop and saw the hole thing and cleared me because he grabbed me first. haven't seen his sins

Itsgottobegreen
11-16-2004, 09:58 PM
this sounds dumb but i actually sat there and did what you said to do....didnt realize you meant to give the bird at first...thought it was some russain slang you knew or something lol

Your not the only one that did that. I thought the same thing.

65hoss
11-17-2004, 01:36 AM
You only have to say 3 things to a PITA neighbor:

1. Shut your hole.
2. Go back into your house and mind your own business.
3. Bother me again on my customer's property, I will call the police and file a complaint.

Trust me, this works...

I agree totally. I am 2 for 2 right now. Yesterday and today both I've dealt with idiot neighbors.
Yesterday I was 10 minutes from finishing up. The a-hole complainer next door came home. Opened his garage door and sit inside the garage watching me. By the time he got their I had already cut, and was finishing the trimming. I was especially careful upon blowing to have everything go the opposite way from him. When I shut the blower off he was standing there starring at me. Trying to be nice (for the last time I promise you) I said hi, how are you? He proceeded to tell me "not good anymore, you stirred dust up and got it all over my car and truck and inside my garage. I said, I can't help a little dust in the air. He tells me to start using a broom. I just laughed at him and said I have a better idea, why don't you mind your own business and close the damn garage door when you knew I was working. Pissed him off real good. But by this point I was PO'd.

Today, as I finished up a leaf job the moron next door came home. Both my customer and him have heavily wooded lots. Trees here are just starting to let the leaves go. I walked down the property line with the blower getting everything blown away from his place to the open areas across the driveway to pick up. All this was done by the time he arrived. He pulls in the driveway, gets the mail and then gives me the "come here" sign with his index finger like I'm a little kid. I walk all the way across the property. He starts going off about all the leaves we blew on his property. I told him, no I walked the line and blew everything from the property line back on my customers lawn. He then tells me I messed his hard work up from saturday cleaning all that up and then I blew it all over there again. Now...I'm pissed. I said...look fool all over your lawn. Do you really think I walked over your entire 1 acre lot blowing leaves all over it? You did your leaves on saturday and its NOW TUESDAY AFTERNOON. The leaves are falling constantly right now. I then told him he was to old to act like an 11 year old spoiled brat. Go inside and leave me alone.

Unfortunately if I hear 1 word tomorrow I may snap.

Tvov
11-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Love threads like this, makes me realize I'm not the only one out there!

Some people are just jerks, but if you can keep your cool sometimes it pays off. I've gotten a few customers over the years who started off as PITA neighbors of existing customers, mostly because we stayed polite (although it was damn hard at times!).

The C Man
11-17-2004, 12:47 PM
I said hi, how are you? He proceeded to tell me "not good anymore, you stirred dust up and got it all over my car and truck and inside my garage.

Oh man, you've got to be kidding! When are they gonna pass legislation that allows us to carry rocket launchers to get rid of these people???

Tvov
11-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Oh man, you've got to be kidding! When are they gonna pass legislation that allows us to carry rocket launchers to get rid of these people???

No, no, no. The legislation that will probably be proposed will be to outlaw the raising of dust while mowing.

You know the sad part? I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually proposed.

bettergrass
11-17-2004, 06:50 PM
im totally on your side but.....

if i ACCIDENTLY left my garage open and a crew came next door and got dust all over my just waxed car or truck....id be pissed....hes in idiot for standing there the whole time though

the funny thing is that i cut my next door neightbors and my dad left his car out well its a black lexus and anything and everything shows up on that thing....so lets just say i came home from working to here about how dumb and inconsiderate i was to not just come over and tell him to pull it in lol

puppypaws
11-18-2004, 07:50 AM
The crazy people that have been mentioned in this forum are people who have serious problems with life in general and they are not always able to have it the way they would want it to go as far as their personal life is concerned. These are the people that are always searching for anything to vent their personal struggles with life on. When you are confronted say God bless you my freind and I hope he gives you a better day for tommorrow and watch how they change their attitude.