PDA

View Full Version : JD handheld stuff

eruuska
11-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Any thoughts on John Deere trimmers, blowers, etc? A JD dealer told me that they used to be made by Homelite but are now manufactured in-house at JD, and the quality is up there with Stihl, Husqvarna, etc.

What do you think?

Eric

BMFD92
11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
someone told me echo is made or owned by JD. Anyone know whether this is true or not?

Itsgottobegreen
11-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Echo used to make the really old JD hand held, then homelite, now someone else.

Personally I wouldn't buy any thing that was JD unless it was built before 1992. And this is coming from a kid that grew up with JD. They don't make them like they used to until you get into the big stuff.

Pecker
11-15-2004, 11:42 PM
I use all JD handhelds (BP50, XT140SB, XT120SE, EH2659, H20D,. . .you get the point) and have been very satisfied with all of them. I tried an Echo trimmer earlier this year and ended up selling it to a friend of mine - just couldn't get used to the feel. Might give Shindy a try next year. Anyhow, all start right up, are dependable (5 years with the edger, now), good power to weight ratio, and run great. Also, I really like the Kawi on the blower - real smooth. Give'em a try.

Travis Followell
11-16-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm thinking that the JD trimmers are made by Shindawia. I don't know for sure but the shield behind the triimer head is identical to the replacement shield we got for our 2500 shindawia. The throttle trigger assembly and the engine cover is made the same as the ones on some of the Shindawia's. I could be wrong but they do look very simular.

grass-scapes
11-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Ive got the XT120 trimmer and it was made by echo. its in its 3rd year with absolutely no problems. I asked who made them now and he told me, but I forgot. LOL. Anyway, if the quality is the same or better, Id buy them again.
PS. never, i repeat, never buy another husqvarna. JUNK. in the shop 4 times in a year and they don't want to stand behind them, but thats another thread.

JDeere Fan
11-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I have all JD Handheld stuff and it has held up great so far and again like someone said great power to weight. I have a BP60 Backpack and it is awesome! I have the XT140 edger, XT120 Trimmer, Handheld Blower, and a BH52 Chain Saw. Awesome stuff. All of JD's HH stuff is made in house from what I understand. It does look a lot like the Shin stuff though.

QC Lawn Services
11-17-2004, 10:38 AM
We also have all JD stuff, XT120LE trimmer, BP40 blower, hedge trimmer in addition to JX 75 and a 737 ZTrak. We have been happy with the equipment and the service that we have received from our dealer. We will continue to purchase more equipment from JD.

Pecker
11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Well, now I'd really like to know if Shindaiwa makes JD handhelds. ;)

50ccmx
11-17-2004, 10:15 PM
There backpack blowers are exactly the same as the husqvarna 145bt, 155bt and the 165bt, but they retail for higher prices. The handheld looks to be made by robin, it appears to be identical to there fl260.
The chainsaws I believe are built by Olympic, the ones I have saw(which could have been 03 models) look just like the new cub cadet saws which are also made by olympic. I believe they said made in italy.
I will find out about there trimmers, they have had many different manufacturers of these over the past years.
I don't believe shindaiwa is making any of their handheld stuff, but I will find out and let you know.

Erickson Lawn Mowing
11-17-2004, 10:56 PM
i have a jd xt 140 that i have used for 4 years the last two trimming five cemtaries with a trim time of about ten hours per trim for all......never had a problem with it... its a little heavier than my shindiawa but i like it cause it takes some of the shock out of bangin around the stones..

JDeere Fan
11-18-2004, 09:54 AM
No matter who they are built by, they are all built to JD standards and it sounds like everyone is happy with their equipment so give them a try!

JDRep2
11-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Shindowa and Echo have no realtionship to Deere. A head might be similar due to the fact that most manufacturers rely on speciality parts production by smaller companies.

Deere utilizes M Series engines manufactured to their spec's by Mitzubishi on their line trimmers/SE/PS/HTs. Most of those engines are now or will be tier 2(CA -Low emmission) compilant by 2005.

JKOOPERS
11-22-2004, 02:55 PM
JUNK!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:

Pecker
11-22-2004, 05:11 PM
JUNK!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:

Very informative. Nice to see you have so much to offer. :rolleyes:

meathead1134
11-22-2004, 06:29 PM
I went to one of then traveling tool shows. They were selling JD trimmers, homelite stuff and ryobi stuff. I asked about a warranty and he gave a 1 800 number for all three. I looked at him funny and he stated that homelite, ryobi, and JD all were made by the same manufactor. Thats new to me. I passed!

Travis Followell
11-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Homelite is a John Deere company. I know this for sure. Home Depot used to sell the JD trimmers and they were homeowner grade and they were the same as the Homelite only with a green engine cover. Ryobi is owned and made by MTD. Home Depot now has Ryobi that is the same as the Homelite trimmers only they have a grey engine cover. The Ryobi's that I have seen sold other places are totally different from the ones Home Depot has so I don't know what is going on. Maybe MTD liked Homelite's design better than their's so maybe they just had Homelite to start making them. I dunno :dizzy:

NJDeere
11-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Just a correction. Homelite WAS a John Deere Company. They sold it off a couple of years ago to the company that owns Ryobi Power Tools, called Tech Tronics of Hong Kong. Ryobi 2 cycle is owned by MTD. John Deere has NOTHING to do with Homelite anymore, Thank Goodness.

The John Deere Pro-Series equipment carried by the dealers is very good quality.

BlackVCG
12-30-2004, 09:58 PM
JD 2-stroke stuff use to be made by Echo. I have an old JD trimmer that has an echo motor and a 55EV chainsaw that has an Echo motor. They sound like, run like and look like Echo motors. All of this stuff was yellow.

The stuff you find in Home Depot, which has the John Deere name on it was Homelite equipment. The whole idea was to sell stuff with the JD name because when you see JD you think of the heritage behind the name. Fortunately, I think this marketing move by JD backfired and as stated JD dropped Homelite and now just makes their Pro-Series equipment.

Basically, anything handheld that JD makes is good if it's yellow. Anything green, stay away from it. I know the newer JD chainsaws are green and they might be okay, but I think 95% of everyone would agree Stihl is the way to go when you're looking for a chainsaw.

The JD string trimmers use Mitsubishi M-Series motors and the Blowers use K-Series Kawasaki motors.

I have an XT-170B trimmer I bought 4 years ago and it works great. I've concluded that after recently buying a Stihl hedge trimmer, which has a Zama carb, I will never buy anything with a Zama carb. Fortunately, none of the JD stuff has Zama carbs. They all have Walbro rotary valve carbs. I will be basing my purchasing decision of 2-stroke equipment on what brand of carb is used on the motor. Since JD stuff uses Walbro, I look at their stuff first.

out4now
12-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Older stuff was Echo underneath but did not spec. out the same, was lower in quality but not by much. Then the deal with Homelite came and the stuff was absoulte junk, then they changed agian to someone else. The thing with their 2 stroke stuff is that they are so inconsistent. They ge good stuff for awhile then get rid of it. The stuff back in the 90's with the Green Machine Label was Shin. underneath and was great.