PDA

View Full Version : Gmc C4500 Dump Truck

Canon Landscaping
11-15-2004, 10:40 PM
I am in the process of opening up a mulch and stone supply business and I am looking for a dump truck. I have been looking at the gmc c4500 I currently have a 2500HD with the duramax/allison and I love it. So I also like the c4500 with the duramax I was wondering if anyone has one of these trucks with a dump and I would like to know how you like it. I would also like to know how much business I would have to do to justify buying a new truck like this?

BMFD92
11-16-2004, 10:12 PM
when I bought my 2500hd this year and while I was at the dealership I looked at those trucks and test drove one. Awesome truck. They are pretty expensive so im sure you gotta keep it in good use but all in all that truck can save you time and money and the same time

NNJLandman
11-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Are you looking for a CDL rig or under CDL rig. Boss has a Peterbuilt single axle and it really is an awesome truck. Its a CDL rig, hauls like you wouldn't believe. The chevy 4500 is a nice rig you might wanna even go a little bigger and go with the 5500 for some extra power and why not get the new 4x4, still under CDL and its an awesome rig except for the engine.....its surrounded, very hard to access, the oil dip stick is probably easier to pull out from the bottem.

Jeff

Tony Clifton
11-17-2004, 07:40 AM
If I were you I would get a GMC or Chevy 6500, you will find that the 4500 will be a bit too small if all you are doing is deliveries. Be sure to get a 16' bed, it will hold 20 yds of mulch. Also, if you are delivering gravel and fill you will be able to carry a few more tons. The mulch supplier we use has 2 6500's 1 7500, and just got rid of their tandem dump truck to get 2 tri-axles, the bigger the truck the better when you are delivering gravel and stuff. Mulch all you would need is a 6500. They also have 2 tractor trailers and a mack flat bed with a piggyback for delivering palletized stone. You could do really well with that type of business if you are in an area where the demand is right.

Gravel Rat
11-20-2004, 02:31 PM
A 4500 will be too small for what you want todo I would look into a 5 ton truck with a minimum 30,000lb gvw. I know you guys need a CDL in the US to drive a measly 5 ton but it will be worth getting your CDL and getting a bigger truck. It would be expensive but I would try find a truck with a roll off system either conventional rails or a hooklift. That way you can have a dump box for hauling rock and a flatdeck for hauling palletized stuff and a steel bin for hauling light and bulky stuff like mulch.

To haul rock you need a deck with a steel decking well thats not so great for hauling palletized stuff because steel is slippery. A all steel deck is heavy which reduces the payload on the truck when your hauling palletized items.

So you would have a 16' deck for pallets the deck would be designed to haul freight. For a rock box for hauling rock or sand and gravel it would only need to be 12-13' long haul 6 yards then you would have a 14 or 16' big bin that would hold 16 yards of light material.

If all you were going to be hauling was loose rock and or mulch get a regular single axle dump truck with a 6 yard box.