PDA

View Full Version : trying too make extra money

GrassmasterB
11-15-2004, 11:47 PM
well i know this isn't a lawn question, but when the grass stops growing i know everyone looks for ways of making more money. i have a customer that asked me about cleaning her roof. usually i clean the leaves off the roof and clean the gutters, but this time she asked about cleaning the shingles to remove the stains and discoloration. has anybody ever done this and if so what is the best way to clean them? some suggestions have been to pressure wash or to use a 50/50 mix of bleach and water but, i was afraid the bleach would kill the grass and bushes where it runs off the roof. has anybody tried these methods? any information would be greatly appreciated.

impactlandscaping
11-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Bobby, unless you are HIGHLY insured, I'd stay off of people's roofs. Care to guess how much it would cost to replace a roof from damage from a pressure washer? Ripping old shingles under your feet? Water under the shingles / felt paper?? Reseeding and replanting foundation plants in the spring?? If her roof looks that bad from zinc breakdown, nothing will fix it except new shingles....look for something better to do than get baited by someone wanting a new roof...

Lawn-Scapes
11-16-2004, 12:09 AM
You better look into insurance for this line of work both for yourself (falling off the roof) and for the client (damaging the roof) before you do anything. You can't find any other landscape work to keep you busy in Florida year round?

Lawn-Scapes
11-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Sorry to repeat what Bill said.. I was typing while he posted.

Likestomow
11-16-2004, 12:35 AM
You don't have to go on a roof to clean a roof.

Just use a ShurFlo 12v. sprayer to push that bleach mix up to 35 feet high, then simply rinse the shingles off.

A guy was walking our street on Saturday soliciting this kind of work for a nifty price of only $200. I'm thinking of trying it. The bleach does all the work.

If you are afraid of damaging shrubs in the process, just wet them down first and rinse them off after you are through spraying.

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Theres a company around here that steam cleans shingles.

JFGLN
11-16-2004, 12:15 PM
My parents were cleaning up thier property before they put it up on the market. They hired a company to clean the tile roof. They sold the house, but the day it was due to close it was raining quite a bit, several leaks appear. The sale went thru, after $1000s in repairs.

lsylvain
11-16-2004, 12:29 PM
I've never seen someone clean a shingle roof. I've seen them do slate and tile before.

KINGjosh
11-16-2004, 04:21 PM
why dont you charge a flat fee per month so you dont go broke in the winter. what kind of grass are you cutting up there?

lpwhandyman
11-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Yes you can clean roofs without even getting on them. If you coordinate it with the weather, you can even do it without rinsing. And ditto what was said about wetting landscaping, making sure to do it before and after. I had a part time guy helping me this summer and I just started getting into asphalt shingle cleaning. We always soaped and rinsed every roof. I told him I wanted to try one by not rinsing and see how it worked out. So the one day it was calling for rain and we had two jobs to do within a few blocks of each other. They were calling for heavy rains in the late morning, so we switched the jobs around so we could do the roof only job first. We soaped the roof and then left. We washed the house down the street and when finishing it started downpouring. So after we left that job, we went back to the first one and sure enough, no pressure washing needed, just a heavy rain. My helper was shocked to see it work. But we use more then just household bleach for those results.

YardPro
11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
but what happens when the weatherman is wrong and the stuff gets baked on the roof???

when i first started my business i did ayhting to earn a buck.

Look into envirospec for all your pressure washing needs. they sell everything, and they are way less for the same stuff than northern. all they do is pressure related products. they sell plant safe cleaning products.

I looked into adding this service to my business and my insurance company threatened to drop me. they said i would have to separate this work and they would do audits. the roof work was going to be 30% of my payroll!!!!!!.
i quickly dropped that service.

lpwhandyman
11-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Weathermen wrong? They are never wrong are they? :D :rolleyes: As I stated, I only did it the one time and I only did it when I had a job down the block. If it hadn't rained upon completion of the 2nd job, I would have went back and rinsed it.
ps: I've heard of guys never rinsing their roof jobs. I am not sure of what the results would be if left un-rinsed so that's why I experiment little by little and read up on the latest methods. I've got ten years of experience so I'm not a noobie when it comes to pressure washing.

GrassmasterB
11-18-2004, 12:25 AM
lpwhandyman, so what do you use to clean the roof?