PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Drivers....and how to chase them!

HighGrass
11-16-2004, 12:43 AM
I live and work in a college town. Now that in itself introduces alot of interesting driving to say the least, but the other day, I swear, I almost snapped. I parked on the street and was finished loading the mower and locking down the trimmer. I always look both ways for traffic because frankly, some of these locals I don't trust as far as I can spit. Sure enough as I was standing by my trailer this guy (with two little kids no less) drives by me about 50mph...about 6 inches from me. After a quick check to make sure I wasn't missing any equipment (if you know what i mean) Quick, Blue Honda Element, plate number....got it. Jump in the truck, and without being too agressive, I followed him up the street. Well, I lost him....but only for about five minutes.

I find his car (if you can call it that) parked at this house and so I stop, walk up to the door and ring the door bell. He comes to the door. I ask him if that's his car and was he driving it just now. He says yes. I tell his simply to please try to slow and suddenly gets all defensive and says he was only driving 35mph. I said, no problem, I'll just go back to my truck and call my friend the local PD and since i don't have any other accounts for the rest of the day, I'll be happy to wait for a cruiser to swing by as I report an attempted assault. He freaks and starts babbling. Then this guy says I'm out of line and never come buy his house again. I turn around and tell him he's full of crap and that I expected a "real" man to man conversation to be honest and if he ever pulls that crap again, I'll have him arrested or at least cited. 35mph my as*!

I've seen him since. He drives ALOT slower. Gives me this look like I have fungus on my forehead.

Let's face it, if you park on the street, your life is on the line. You put out 2-3 bright orange cones, and every Ernhardt wanna- :angry: be feels like he has to come close to them at full speed.

lawnwizards
11-16-2004, 07:03 AM
you would've felt funny if when you confronted him, he pulled out a gun and shot your a$$. i would've just let it go. just my .02

lawnwizards.

MOW ED
11-16-2004, 07:06 AM
They are everywhere. I have seen the same thing with my trailer and I have also seen goofs almost hit me and my guys on the Fire Dept. while we are working on the street.
I get very upset as we are sitting ducks for these idiots and they don't really care. Everyone is in such a freakin hurry. I give ya credit for hunting him down and speaking your mind. He sounds like a little weasel but at least you made hime know that someone is watching. Stay safe.

grass-scapes
11-16-2004, 07:19 AM
I had a similar situation the other night. I know I didn't handle it right, but damn it, I was pissed. This idiot kept weaving in and out of traffic. cut me and my big heavy trailer off 2 times, causing me to use my brakes very heavily. Anyway. he wasn't really getting anywhere any faster. He cut me off again and I blew the horn and flashed the brights. He flipped me off. Well, he got back behind me again. Well, it just so happened that I had about 12 oz of warm gatorade left in a cup next to me. He comes flying by, and the gatorade accidently spills out the window. I thought his car had anti lock brakes, but by the squeal, they weren't working....LOL. He jumps in front of me again and tries to bring the entire road to a standstill. But he thinks better since it is very busy. he weaves in and out and gets in the turn only lane to try to cuss me out. he nearly rear ends another car.

I know I was wrong to incite this type of behavior, but damn it, these idiots have to know we cant stop these big trucks with trailers on a dime. He is lucky he got gatorade on the car instead of my blue paint.

FrankenScagMachines
11-16-2004, 07:40 AM
in these situations, I am definately very glad for electric trailer brakes- on both axles! Yes i have had to lock them up (manual override) multiple occasions. Also i am glad for a 7.5 liter 460 cubic inch big block, with dual glasspacks. Yes, even with loaded trailer it can make idiots think twice about being stupid around me :D Its slower than 85% of the cars on the road (not counting commercial trucks etc.) but i guess some people really don't beleive that if i get ticked off i'll put the ponies to the ground, i guess :confused:
Once, i was in another vehicle not my truck and someone offended me with their traffic maneuvers, twice within a few minutes! The first time they almost got T-boned in a parking lot as it was an open lot and they cut right in front of me, seeing that i was there. i don't think they were in a hurry to get anywhere either just being really stupid. i followed them for about 10 minutes but it was about 8 or 9 (dark) and i was by myself, they started to go downtown near some rougher areas of town so i let off, didn't want to get into a death trap if ya know what i mean ("hey guys meet me at so-n-so, i got a punk thinks he's sumpthin lets show him, we'll be there in 2 minutes") anyway....

geogunn
11-16-2004, 08:21 AM
highgrass......and everyone else......what we have here is a case of poor/careless/reckless (insert your own word here) driving that ended in road rage.

by going after the guy and winding up confronting the guy on his own property, highgrass escalated the situation to a confrontation.

I am not being judgmental, we have all probably done it or something similar and that includes myself.

my point is you really do need to be careful out there.

my pet-pieve is while trimming on the roadway, cars come too close.

I have a bad habit of turning around to look behind me before the car gets to me and swinging the trimmer as I do.

most drivers understand they are gonna get a HOMELITE STRIPE if they don't give enough room.

GEO

all ferris
11-16-2004, 09:03 AM
I live and work in a college town. Now that in itself introduces alot of interesting driving to say the least, but the other day, I swear, I almost snapped. I parked on the street and was finished loading the mower and locking down the trimmer. I always look both ways for traffic because frankly, some of these locals I don't trust as far as I can spit. Sure enough as I was standing by my trailer this guy (with two little kids no less) drives by me about 50mph...about 6 inches from me. After a quick check to make sure I wasn't missing any equipment (if you know what i mean) Quick, Blue Honda Element, plate number....got it. Jump in the truck, and without being too agressive, I followed him up the street. Well, I lost him....but only for about five minutes.

I find his car (if you can call it that) parked at this house and so I stop, walk up to the door and ring the door bell. He comes to the door. I ask him if that's his car and was he driving it just now. He says yes. I tell his simply to please try to slow and suddenly gets all defensive and says he was only driving 35mph. I said, no problem, I'll just go back to my truck and call my friend the local PD and since i don't have any other accounts for the rest of the day, I'll be happy to wait for a cruiser to swing by as I report an attempted assault. He freaks and starts babbling. Then this guy says I'm out of line and never come buy his house again. I turn around and tell him he's full of crap and that I expected a "real" man to man conversation to be honest and if he ever pulls that crap again, I'll have him arrested or at least cited. 35mph my as*!

I've seen him since. He drives ALOT slower. Gives me this look like I have fungus on my forehead.

Let's face it, if you park on the street, your life is on the line. You put out 2-3 bright orange cones, and every Ernhardt wanna- :angry: be feels like he has to come close to them at full speed.

If you would have followed me to my house I would have said go ahead and call the cops and I'll have you cited for trespassing. This just shows that you're a hot head and can't let things go. Do you really think that the guy meant to get that close to you? Have you ever had a close call when it would have been your fault? It happens to everyone. I'm sure your little visit to his house fixed him. He probably thinks your some sort of wack job.

Rhett
11-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Oh the silliness of youth. JUst take a deep breath. Get in the right lane and let the idiot drive away from you. Lots better than causing an accident trying to "Get Even" Awhole lot better than having some idiot shoot you.

HighGrass
11-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Oh the silliness of youth. JUst take a deep breath. Get in the right lane and let the idiot drive away from you. Lots better than causing an accident trying to "Get Even" Awhole lot better than having some idiot shoot you.
The right lane? I was parked. PARKED.
I don't think some of you guys read it right or I didn't write it correctly. When I went after him, i wasn't being agressive, I just drove. I did loose him and then found his house.
Al Ferris If you think by knocking on the guys door and asking politely is called confrontation, I disagree. Do you really think that the guy meant to get that close to you? Yea, I do. There's a difference between someone who passes you and someone who is wreckless, I can't speak for you, but I can tell the difference.He probably thinks your some sort of wack job. Why, because I stuck up for myself? Told him I was calling the police? If you would have followed me to my house I would have said go ahead and call the cops and I'll have you cited for trespassing. Sure, and I would have taken the time to tell the cops everything from start to finish.

geogunn
11-16-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't think some of you guys read it right or I didn't write it correctly.

HIGHGRASS--I think most people's concern is that you would have been better percieved on the right side of the situation if you had been inclined to call the cops and let them handle it RATHER than going to the guys house and confronting him.

further, you said:

Al Ferris If you think by knocking on the guys door and asking politely is called confrontation, I disagree.

politely?

buttttttt.......in your thread opening post you said:

...........but the other day, I swear, I almost snapped................................ Blue Honda Element, plate number....got it. Jump in the truck, and without being too agressive, I followed him up the street. Well, I lost him....but only for about five minutes.

whether you wanna agree or not isn't the point.

you were obviously angry, confrontational and out of line and several members have said so.

you are threatening the guy with arrest, impuning his "real" man status.........dude........like I said, what was first just an incident you escalated into road rage!

so be careful! the last thing any of us want to see is a lawn guy in trouble over an incident!

GEO :)

chimmygew
11-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Once, I had just loaded up my stuff on the trailer and drove off. It was me and 2 of my employees. I had no stop sign my way, but from the other direction there was one. Out of nowhere, a blue truck blows the stop sign at about 50 mph. I had to swerve into someones yard and lock em up. Left ruts in the persons yard by the way. Look up and the truck had a pizza delivery sign on it. First I went to the door of the yard I was currently parked in and apologized. They were very understanding and were going to call the pizza place. After leaving, I went straight to the pizza joint and nicely threw one heck of a fit. I hated to cause the kid to lose his job, but he could have killed me and/or my employees. Idiots deserve to suffer.

WESLEY BROWN
11-16-2004, 01:03 PM
I agree with goegunn and chimmygew you both are right. Everyone has had a time when they made a mistake in getting close to something and not meaning to or pulling out in front of someone when you did not see them. A tap on the horn or a good rev from your engine is normally enough and if it goes farther right down a plate # and call the cops and it will be taken care of. I had a cop almost on the hood of my truck because of black ice at a stop sign, He just could not stop. Defensive Driving! I would have not and will not go after someone driving stupid, because the longer your around them the more chance to be the one the cop see's speeding and when your not there then the cop has only one person to give a ticket.

MMLawn
11-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Lot's of folks have ended up with a big time @zz whooping and even in the graveyard for such uncalled for confrontations.

Remsen1
11-16-2004, 02:36 PM
you would've felt funny if when you confronted him, he pulled out a gun and shot your a$$. i would've just let it go. just my .02

lawnwizards.

"Guys" who drive element's wouldn't know where to put the bullets!

Remsen1
11-16-2004, 02:42 PM

I have taken this approach with age, but I used to be alot different. It feels better to just chuckle and shake my head in amazement vs. getting pissed of and assaulting somebody. I used to get so pizzed that I could feel my heart racing. Thought I was going to have a heart attack.

HighGrass
11-16-2004, 03:47 PM
HIGHGRASS--I think most people's concern is that you would have been better percieved on the right side of the situation if you had been inclined to call the cops and let them handle it RATHER than going to the guys house and confronting him.

further, you said:

politely?

buttttttt.......in your thread opening post you said:

whether you wanna agree or not isn't the point.

you were obviously angry, confrontational and out of line and several members have said so.

you are threatening the guy with arrest, impuning his "real" man status.........dude........like I said, what was first just an incident you escalated into road rage!

so be careful! the last thing any of us want to see is a lawn guy in trouble over an incident!

GEO :)
Funny the whole time i was there i never saw you. Did I miss you? Were you lurking in the woods watching my demeanor? To threaten an arrest wasn't a factor of being angry as much as it was a possible criminal act on his part but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the next time you are in a similar situation I hope you will able to experience the same sort of mis assumptions to the negative as I have in your comments but as is you right, you have an opinion no matter what it may be.

HighGrass
11-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Okay, I have read all of the attending threads and appreciate (though I might not agree) with all of your feedback. Having looked at all of it I would do things differently next time. Next time I will just call the police, and hope for the best. But to me, there is something wrong with not being able to face another guy and telling him what’s on your mind. All of this “Road Rage” talk I think is unfounded. Not once did I drive over the speed limit nor did I blow my horn or force him off the road. I simply went to his house. Is that in itself an act of road rage? I doubt it. If it is, it’s pretty lame.
Not even a select finger was ever interjected. Not once did I swear or was I ranting. I simply stated things as matter of fact.
The word “Confrontation” also has been thrown around here as if I got in this guys face, foaming at the mouth. I assure you, I did not. I simply approached another adult, and spoke my mind. I never even raised my voice. Thanks again for all the feedback.

geogunn
11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Not once did I swear or was I ranting. I simply stated things as matter of fact.

I simply approached another adult, and spoke my mind. I never even raised my voice.

I turn around and tell him he's full of crap and that I expected a "real" man to man conversation to be honest and if he ever pulls that crap again, I'll have him arrested or at least cited. 35mph my as*!

is it just me or is there is a contradiction here?

the prosecution rests.

GEO

HighGrass
11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
is it just me or is there is a contradiction here?

the prosecution rests.

GEO

For the record, I did say it matter of factly. It was not ROAD RAGE, CONFRONTATION ALLY done. or other wise politically incorrect although I might have made a remark about Santa Claus.
:p

TURF DOCTOR
11-16-2004, 05:31 PM
High grass i am with you 100 percent do not take no crap.

buddhacj7
11-16-2004, 05:52 PM
I also agree. The guy needed to be put in his place. If a teenager did the same thing wouldnt you go to the house and tell his/her parents? What is the difference? I mean
if it seemed like a dangerous neighborhood I would think twice! THere werent any crackheads running around and no 55 gallon drums burning in front yards were there?

Itsgottobegreen
11-16-2004, 06:52 PM
They are everywhere. I have seen the same thing with my trailer and I have also seen goofs almost hit me and my guys on the Fire Dept. while we are working on the street.

I know the feeling.
I was directing traffic at a 10-50 w/rollover and recovery on US RT 70 west bound. It was dark, But I was in my orange reflective vest, fire gear with reflective strips, a strobe light on my chest and a orange cone flash light.
I had a @^&%##&^%^$@$#%^&%^*# in a BMW dame near hit me doing 40 by going down the left shoulder to get around the traffic. The other 3 travel lanes were stopped and merging into one. He cut right across the 3 lanes of traffic in front of every body, which was where I was standing while directing the traffic. Just missed me by about a foot. I am lucky he didn't hit me.

Mowses
11-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Has this happened many times to you or is this a real freak occurance ??

I was racing in cycling last Summer and spending a lot of time on the roads training. I'm in a bike lane and no where near the cars yet you still get people swerving into the bike lane on purpose and 'pretending' that they are going to hit you. The worst is riding in residential area's. People pull out of driveways in front of you, out of streets real slow not to necessarily piss you off but just they are bad drivers. The best incident was at a round-a-bout. I was turning, had my hand out to signal and this car came screaming up and did not look like he was going to stop. I sped up to get out of there and sure enough he flies right through, god knows how he didn't clip my back wheel. Anyway that was to much so i took off after him and he's caught at a red light in traffic 300m down the road. I get off the bike and walk into the traffic with everyone watching as i knock on his passenger window. The guy near sh%t himself as i'm not exactly puny and he's now trapped in a car with no escape and me to deal with. I'm totally calm about it and start telling him how from now on he WILL slow down and WILL keep an eye out for cyclists in the future and that before was just his idiocy and a bad mistake on his behalf. I think he said sorry about 50 times, saying he was dumb etc LOL.

That is the only confrontation i have ever done on the bike because he came tooooo close to hitting me i could have easily been seriously injured or killed. There lhave been a LOT of other incidents and i might swear and fingers go up but that's it.

In regards to the car, i wouldn't have chased him or turned up at his house. Reason being i wouldn't like someone doing that to me.

YardPro
11-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Funny the whole time i was there i never saw you. Did I miss you? Were you lurking in the woods watching my demeanor? To threaten an arrest wasn't a factor of being angry as much as it was a possible criminal act on his part but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the next time you are in a similar situation I hope you will able to experience the same sort of mis assumptions to the negative as I have in your comments but as is you right, you have an opinion no matter what it may be.

if anything had happened at the house you would have been arrested. when you followed him you had malovent intent in the eyes of the law. YOU escalated the situation into a confrontation.
yaht would have been the prudent thing to do is to call the police and report the guy, called social services and reported him for child endangerment. THEY HAVE TO investigate.
having social services knock on your door will get more attention than you ever would.

you said you see him a lot?? get a video camera, get some video of him driving like a madman and call the cops and child welfare..

that's how you stay within the law and exact your revenge.

Albemarle Lawn
11-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Nobody here knows its the pedal on the right.

Too many putzes clogging the roads as they read, daydream, and talk on cell phones.

I saw one woman in a minivan actually reading a paperback as she drove down the road.

I stopped next to her at a light and told her she should take the bus. She got offended and said mind your own business. I told her she was my business because she almost knocked paint off of my trailer with her nose in the book swerving.

wherebluegrassgrows
11-17-2004, 08:12 PM
I don't see how you were so calm. If I had reason to get in my truck and follow someone home I don't think I could have been quite so talkative.
Its kind of ironic about twenty minutes ago some idiot hit my mailbox with their car. The guy/girl didn't even stop. My first reaction was not to call the police I hopped in my car and went looking for the a-hole. I'm thankful I didn't find them I doubt I would have been so calm. I wish people would just pay attention or not be in such a hurry all the time.
Theres my 2 cents

bugspit
11-17-2004, 08:48 PM
today a discharged Army dude, 20 yrs old, who had his licenses revoked for drunk driving was driving a friends car, Mazda 626, no INS, outa state expired tag.
He had only his military ID that was also invalid, anyway, he runs a light and plows into my brother head on, who BTW just bought a new VW Bug diesel two weeks ago.
a girl who was with the army dude jumps out of their car and walks away with a small suitcase...she's gone.
the dude comes over and asks if my brother is oK (he is) and then he turns away and begins to catch up with the girl.

my brother stops him and then they both get on their cell phones.
my brother calls the cops but this apparently this guy calls all his friends.
about six other dudes and another girl shows up.
well, the cops are there and the dude tries to convince the cop that this other girl was with him in the car.
Well, of course my brother has 3 witnesses and blows this guys story.

anyway the army dude was taken downtown, the girl confessed and the bug looks totaled.
to top it off, 4 weeks prior to this my brother hydroplanes in his 2002 S10 and totaled it, and 5 weeks prior to this my Dad hit a dog on his motorcycle and totaled the bike, broke his collar bone and two ribs.

I've been staying as close to home as I can. ;)