PDA

View Full Version : Services, adding or dropping?

tiedeman
11-16-2004, 12:38 PM
So everybody, what services are you going to be adding and/or dropping next year?

I have already decided that this is the last year that I am doing snow removal. Not worth the time and insurance cost to keep on doing.

LCME
11-16-2004, 12:53 PM
I too am not going to remove snow. This would of been my first year with snow removal. But, just like you said the cost/insurance and my lack of customers dictated no snow removal for me.

mtdman
11-16-2004, 01:42 PM
I'd love to get rid of snow. Not for a while though. I hate doing bush trimming and have been gradually weeding it out of my services.

tiedeman
11-16-2004, 03:08 PM
well, customers that have signed on for 2-3 years I am going to keep on doing them until their contract expires, but everybody else that signed on for only 1 year, this is their last year. And I won't be accepting anymore customers over the years even if they want to sign on for 2+ years

MidAtlantic
11-16-2004, 03:13 PM
How about adding tennis/basketball restoration services???? Theres not much competition and it pays well...Take a look in your yellow pages under tennis court construction, see how many guys are in there...You wont find many.

Drop me a line and I can tell you how profitable this service is. But as an eye opener let me go over a sample job we did. A couple weeks ago one of my guys loaded the trailer with what we needed for a single tennis court down on the OuterBanks of NC. He loaded it in a couple hours. We hit the road the next morning about 3AM and got there about 8AM did all our preparation work and one coat of resurfacer(similar to sealer) and called it a day at 4pm. Checked into a hotel ordered some food and went to sleep. The next day went back to the job at 8am installed one more coat of resurfacer (sealer), then two coats of Green followed by lines, loaded up and left for the drive home at 5pm. Got back to the shop about 10:30pm.

Contract price $6700, materials $1100, hotel $100, fuel $80, labor $200..You do the math about how profitable that job was.

I have a crack repair you can charge $15-20 per linear foot. I buy the material for about 2-3 a linear foot. I usually figure it costs about $3.5-4 a linear foot for materials and labor.

The rest of the week drive around town and see how many parks, high schools, universities, apartments, condos, HOA's, country clubs,hotel and resorts have tennis courts or basketball courts. You will be amazed.

Drop me a line if you are interested in adding this service.

impactlandscaping
11-16-2004, 03:17 PM
This will be our first winter with no snow removal as well. Too many unlic. guys running around here dragging the market down. The HOAs and office complexes don't care about insurance and comp. , they just want someone to clear the lots as minimally as possible. Several of our larger accounts wanted to re bid their properties last fall, and some were getting bids of 65-75.00 , whereas we were charging 175-200.00 per event, with chemicals. As someone else's tag line says here " I can go broke sitting home..".Sold both trucks,plows , and spreaders this April...I have already had about 10 calls for service so far , feels good to say "Sorry..". Other than snow removal, not too much else is going to change.

On the upside, I am buying a mini loader in the spring to bring our prep and demo work all in-house, rather than renting / leasing.

MidAtlantic
11-16-2004, 03:18 PM
I have a landscape design build company and a sport surfacing design build repair company. I am currently working on a new full service lawn maintenance company. Call me crazy but ultimately I would like to have a one stop shop for all of the home owners maintenance and construction needs.

rodfather
11-16-2004, 04:30 PM
So everybody, what services are you going to be adding and/or dropping next year?

I have already decided that this is the last year that I am doing snow removal. Not worth the time and insurance cost to keep on doing.

Well at $225 an hour with travel time in there as well, snow plowing is the LAST service I would drop. Insurance for us is cheap...$50 for every $5000 in revenue for plowing (nope we don't salt or blow sidewalks, just plow).

Only thing I know I will be adding is another mowing crew (yea I know, he said what services rod). Good thread tiedeman, something I have to think about...

PR Fect
11-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Tree removal is getting removed. Our lawn care insurance only covers 38 ft or less anyway. Let the arborist have the work, I'm getting to old for climbing.

DennisF
11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm not going to doing shrub trimming as a part of a monthly lawn maintenance. It's too time consuming and doesn't pay well here in Fl. All hedge and shrub trimming will be on a per job basis and only done on the weekend.

lqmustang
11-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Trying to get away from trimming bushes and such as much as possible. Will do it only for regular customers, no one time trimming jobs anymore. Adding fert and weed control for next season. First time snow plowing this winter season also. Did some work with the snowblower last season, and I like the idea of sitting in a warm cab this time around. :D