PDA

View Full Version : christmas tree scrub???

fga
11-16-2004, 06:43 PM
was setting up my lot today, for selling christmas trees. there is a really run down place across the street, i wouldn't even call it a nursery, more like an outdoor version of "odd job". i literrally see once customer over there a day, maybe. i figured they were going to sell trees, but what i saw a hour ago blew my mind. a big sign that reads "X-mas trees 14.99"... :realmad:

how in the world do you sell trees for that cheap. they must be making a dime a tree, maybe. an average cheap tree here is in the $25 - $30 range. that's where i figured to be. i have some stunts up my sleeve, like a live santa clause outside on the street, pictures with him, free gift for the kids (little nick nacks)....
i willl play santa if i'm not on deliveries. i told my family after i saw that sign, that i'm learning to dance this week. santa will be dancing a jig on the sidewalk.. 14.99, why bother? i'm gonna dance my @ss off!

".....if you dance, they will come." my version of field of dreams :)

Creative Lawn Care
11-16-2004, 06:59 PM
I guess there are lowballers in almost every bus.

GreenMonster
11-16-2004, 07:10 PM
".....if you dance, they will come." my version of field of dreams :)

I hope you have your own "field of dreams", cuz your baseball team sucks.

You, dancing, in a santa suit? I don't say this often, but I hope there is another trip to Staten Island in my near future :laugh: !!!

Lux Lawn
11-16-2004, 07:17 PM
i told my family after i saw that sign, that i'm learning to dance this week. santa will be dancing a jig on the sidewalk..

Sh!t I might even come buy a tree to see that.

fga
11-16-2004, 07:22 PM
you're all welcome! i'll even let you take a picture with me. its hard to make an @ss out of yourself when you're in disguise! :cool:

Mark, its not far at all the staten island hotel, like 5 minutes.

larry, if you need directions, just follow the car with "i'm really a yankee fan" bumper stickers..

Runner
11-16-2004, 09:28 PM
How many trees does he have? You may have to buy his trees out and sell them for just over what he would have. That way, if you have enough going on (Santa Claus, hot cider, donuts, coffe, etc.), it wouldn't be feasible for him to set back up for those prices again, because you have trees too close to that. PLUS, alot more trees to choose from and all the extras. Just an idea.

fga
11-16-2004, 11:00 PM
How many trees does he have? You may have to buy his trees out and sell them for just over what he would have. That way, if you have enough going on (Santa Claus, hot cider, donuts, coffe, etc.), it wouldn't be feasible for him to set back up for those prices again, because you have trees too close to that. PLUS, alot more trees to choose from and all the extras. Just an idea.
he has no trees on his lot yet, just signs, so i'm not sure of the quantity he'll have. but he has a small nursery size lot. he could fit quite a few. all i can fit on display is about 30, and store alot in the back yard of the store. i think i'm going to set a goal for the amount trees i want to sell, and leave it at that, unless they're flying out of the lot. instead of competing with this guy.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-16-2004, 11:28 PM
trees is a hard way to make a buck i worked and ran a lot we did 1200 a season it was no fun and the money when it was all said and done was some of the hardest i ever earned

fga
11-16-2004, 11:35 PM
trees is a hard way to make a buck i worked and ran a lot we did 1200 a season it was no fun and the money when it was all said and done was some of the hardest i ever earned
well, the way i look at it is, i have the lot for free. my wife and her family opened up a store, and i'll be there "hanging out" anyway. so my only real overhead is the trees themselves, and the baler, netting, and some minor nick nacks for the kids. we'll see what happens.
how late did you stay open, and how early did you open up??

MidAtlantic
11-17-2004, 12:20 AM
I don't know how he is going to make a living selling them for $14.99 a tree. The cheapest tree I have seen wholesale from the grower was $12-14 for grade 2 trees. My partner and I are heading up to PA next Monday to pick up 250 trees and they are no where near that price. Even the truck load we have coming down in a couple weeks from NH isn't that cheap and we are buying volume. Maybe you could find out if he is getting grade 1 trees and where he is getting them.

I don't think that guy will make enough to cover his cost unless he plans to sell 1000's of trees..Down here in Northern Va we typically sell about 500-700 trees in location. Our cheapest tree is around $40.00.

Have you ever considered a moon bounce idea or a put up a sign and offer free fresh hot coffee and hot coco?

fga
11-17-2004, 08:13 AM
I don't know how he is going to make a living selling them for $14.99 a tree. The cheapest tree I have seen wholesale from the grower was $12-14 for grade 2 trees. My partner and I are heading up to PA next Monday to pick up 250 trees and they are no where near that price. Even the truck load we have coming down in a couple weeks from NH isn't that cheap and we are buying volume. Maybe you could find out if he is getting grade 1 trees and where he is getting them.

I don't think that guy will make enough to cover his cost unless he plans to sell 1000's of trees..Down here in Northern Va we typically sell about 500-700 trees in location. Our cheapest tree is around $40.00.

Have you ever considered a moon bounce idea or a put up a sign and offer free fresh hot coffee and hot coco?
moon bounce?
the coffe and coacoa i didn't think of, but it is a good (cheap) idea.

Moe Fish
11-17-2004, 09:01 AM
If they are sale them for cost ...Buy all of theirs and sale them.

impactlandscaping
11-17-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm with Dusty.. tree sales is just plain hard work..We did about 400 trees , cheapest being 40.00 and highest being 75.00, with cost right around 14-22.00 per tree. At least you have a free lot going for you Adam. Selling any live B&Bs???The live B&Bs seem to sell really well around here. We were selling 6-6.5' Colorado Blues for 119.00 each, and offered to plant them after Christmas for an additional $ 60.00. You can get galvanized tubs at Tractor supply or Southern States to "rent" to customers who will have you install the tree...The guy we used to get our trees from sold all of his acreage, but kept the tree rights. He's not selling anymore this year, so no trees for us..but, ...I'll be right behind Mark to come and see you dancing in the Santa suit...lol..Don't forget your tip jar. :D

fga
11-17-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm with Dusty.. tree sales is just plain hard work..We did about 400 trees , cheapest being 40.00 and highest being 75.00, with cost right around 14-22.00 per tree. At least you have a free lot going for you Adam. Selling any live B&Bs???The live B&Bs seem to sell really well around here. We were selling 6-6.5' Colorado Blues for 119.00 each, and offered to plant them after Christmas for an additional $ 60.00. You can get galvanized tubs at Tractor supply or Southern States to "rent" to customers who will have you install the tree...The guy we used to get our trees from sold all of his acreage, but kept the tree rights. He's not selling anymore this year, so no trees for us..but, ...I'll be right behind Mark to come and see you dancing in the Santa suit...lol..Don't forget your tip jar. :D
that b & b is a good idea, i just don't have the room. but the tip jar?? this is going to be a gold mine!
oh, yeah, like i told larry, just follow the car with the "I love tremendous amounts of facial hair" bumper stickers... mark knows the way.

Norm Al
11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
http://imagehost.epier.com/8667/ChristmasTreeTrinketBox.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!

MidAtlantic
11-17-2004, 11:56 AM
The moon bounce seems to be a big attraction for kids these days. Its a real big attraction. :blob3: I have seen them at those pumpkin patch stands this year. You see them at all the church and community picnics, b-day parties, amusement parts ect...I am sure those rental places might be willing to work a deal for you since nobody is throwing a picnic or party outdoors during the Christmas tree season. Plus if you are on a main road you only need it on the weekends. This way the kids will see it and nag their parents to stop so they can play on it...While the kids are at play the parents will shop...

You cant sell them anything if you cant get them in the door...So think about it a dancing/jumping Santa and a moon bounce..How can any parent that is about ready to strangle their hyper kid pass by your lot without stopping?????

Oh can Santa do the moonwalk or break-dance :cool2:

fga
11-17-2004, 12:03 PM
The moon bounce seems to be a big attraction for kids these days. Its a real big attraction. :blob3: I have seen them at those pumpkin patch stands this year. You see them at all the church and community picnics, b-day parties, amusement parts ect...I am sure those rental places might be willing to work a deal for you since nobody is throwing a picnic or party outdoors during the Christmas tree season. Plus if you are on a main road you only need it on the weekends. This way the kids will see it and nag their parents to stop so they can play on it...While the kids are at play the parents will shop...

You cant sell them anything if you cant get them in the door...So think about it a dancing/jumping Santa and a moon bounce..How can any parent that is about ready to strangle their hyper kid pass by your lot without stopping?????

Oh can Santa do the moonwalk or break-dance :cool2:
great idea, but i'm strapped for space. and i can learn to do any dance.. i call it the north pole shuffle... i shuffle people into the lot.

fga
11-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Norm,
that one's not bad. relevant and pleasant.

MidAtlantic
11-17-2004, 12:19 PM
If you get a chance maybe you can make a video of your new moves and we can pass it on as a training video for all those salvation army Santa's...

Those moon bounces really don't take up that much space...Give it a try on a weekend and see how many kids & parents it brings in. Might cost you profits on 10 trees but hey if you sell 100 more cause of it that makes it worth it. I know next year I am planning to have one on the second lot right in front of our operations office which on a real busy road that everybody out here travels. 1000's of new houses currently being built down the street with young families...So I think in my case its worth a try at least one weekend.

You never know.....

doublesharp
11-17-2004, 12:22 PM
He's probably selling cull scotch pines for that price. People will pay for quality, especially at Christmas. I sold trees for 25 years on a busy street with much competiton. A cut rate, scrub lot will help an operator that knows what he's doing. I always hung my trees and made sure the front row trees were extra nice. Trees are about as tough a way to make money as there is. You're generally fighting the weather and the calender. You want to run out of trees before you run out of time. Good luck

fga
11-17-2004, 12:33 PM
If you get a chance maybe you can make a video of your new moves and we can pass it on as a training video for all those salvation army Santa's...

Those moon bounces really don't take up that much space...Give it a try on a weekend and see how many kids & parents it brings in. Might cost you profits on 10 trees but hey if you sell 100 more cause of it that makes it worth it. I know next year I am planning to have one on the second lot right in front of our operations office which on a real busy road that everybody out here travels. 1000's of new houses currently being built down the street with young families...So I think in my case its worth a try at least one weekend.

You never know.....
i'll take some before and after intoxication.. i'm no drinkker, but a man has to do what a man has to do. ;)

jbell113
11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Mabe this guy grew his own trees, did you think of that ?

fga
11-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Mabe this guy grew his own trees, did you think of that ?
buddy, i live in new york city. if anyone is growing anything on their own, its either going in their salad or being sold on corner in little clear bags. :)

fga
11-17-2004, 01:27 PM
i realized shortly ago, that this guy has no parking. at all. you have to park on a busy street and put a coin in the parking meter. we don't have alotof parking but we do have some. we're in alittle strip mall. you think that will play a factor?

T Edwards
11-17-2004, 05:12 PM
$14.99!!!!!!!!

Those have gotta look like Charlie Brown's renovation projects.

You shouldn't have a problem selling nice looking trees. Passersby are going to give the 2 lots a Harrison Comparison and they'll be purchasing from you. Add some lights to some streetside trees and sell them pre-strung.

There's no end to marketing the holidays.

fga
11-17-2004, 05:17 PM
good idea Mr. E...
you can get light strands pretty cheap. keep the ideas flowing. :waving:

Norm Al
11-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Stop with posting all these pictures like this, I know Chuck has warned you about this in the past. They have nothing to do with the topic at hand, ever. Jodi

treedoc1
11-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Balsam from Quebec and Nova Sotia is still dirt cheap. Early shipping has started, I saw 3 loads freom Downey today on I-66 and I-81. Not much hope for them...untarped going down the highway at 70 mph in the full sun.

The Franks store on SI was a thousand tree store and it's out of business this year...some one has to supply the trees, why not you.

Cut open all your trees if its warm, keep them shaded and misted...you probably know the techniques.

fga
11-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Balsam from Quebec and Nova Sotia is still dirt cheap. Early shipping has started, I saw 3 loads freom Downey today on I-66 and I-81. Not much hope for them...untarped going down the highway at 70 mph in the full sun.

The Franks store on SI was a thousand tree store and it's out of business this year...some one has to supply the trees, why not you.

Cut open all your trees if its warm, keep them shaded and misted...you probably know the techniques.
actually, i could use any advice i can get, thanks. this is my first year selling, i've helped in the past friends, but never on my own. yeah they shut that place down, Franks. I don't know how they stayed open as long as they did. my mother worker there a few months and the 25 year old boss would torment her. I was young at the time, like 14, otherwise i would have payed him a visit.
the supplier i'm using is the local nursery who hooks me up all year, and they supposedly get great quality fresh cut trees. we will see.

again, any advice is appreciated.

fga
11-17-2004, 07:06 PM
SCORE!!!

just won the tree baler i've been watching for a week. new, they run about $300 with shipping, not including the stand...

i just won this baler, all metal, right next door in jersey (gonna pick it up), full baler with stand... 117 bucks! guy even said he has netting. i feel like i just made almost 200 bucks already. :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3852239312&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

doublesharp
11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Nice catch on the baler. Do you have a shaker? Lot of guys use the drill system but I never did. Good thing about that is once a customer has the drill stand they have to buy from someone that has the drill centering setup as it's virtually impossible to get it straight by hand. Wreaths and roping are good sideline items. If you've got room, keep a car in front with a tree tied to the top and keep somebody out front milling around looking at trees all the time.

fga
11-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Nice catch on the baler. Do you have a shaker? Lot of guys use the drill system but I never did. Good thing about that is once a customer has the drill stand they have to buy from someone that has the drill centering setup as it's virtually impossible to get it straight by hand. Wreaths and roping are good sideline items. If you've got room, keep a car in front with a tree tied to the top and keep somebody out front milling around looking at trees all the time.
shaker? what is that? i may know, but people have different terms for things..

if i were to drill by hand, you think it wouldn't comeout even close? I wasn't sure if i was even going to offer that anyway. i don't know yet. but what's a shaker?

also... the guy stated he has (5) bales of netting, 5 cartridges in each, and 3 loose cartridges.. for an additional $230. is that a decent price?

doublesharp
11-18-2004, 10:22 PM
A shaker is a machine that shakes the dead needles out. You can do it by hand, but the shaker is very visual and you make a show out of removing dead needles. Leaves the customer feeling the higher price is justified because of higher quality. It's pretty hard to center a hole without the drill press. I didn't use the drill system but did try to drill a few to put on customers stands and had limited success. Eventually I gave it up because it took 2 people and was a time waster.

J Hisch
11-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Guys he is probably not going to sell every tree for 14.99. What he is doing is a marketing campaign. Just like a Hotel room advertised for 29.99. Every Company does it and in order to be legit with his advertising all he has to do is sell one tree for that price. I willing to bet if you go looking for the 14.99 tree it will be there and it wont be much to speak of. However he will have other trees to offer and I am sure make a substanial profit off them.

doublesharp
11-18-2004, 10:49 PM
fga, google www.fraserknoll.com and they have shakers, drill machines, balers, netting etc.