PDA

View Full Version : Mid mount or Out front??

Creative Lawn Care
11-16-2004, 07:50 PM
I am currently running a Exmark Lazer Z HP. I like this mower alot for its speed, great cut etc. Prior to the exmark I had been running a JD F725 and a Kubota GF 1800 both outfront mowers with steering wheels versus the handle bars on the exmark. Personally I believe the outfront mowers were much more comfortable to ride and kept me cleaner while mowing and could hold a hill much better than a ztr. Of course they were also some slower on turns. So what is you guys opinion?

Creative Lawn Care
11-16-2004, 08:36 PM
nobody has an opinion?

TURF DOCTOR
11-16-2004, 09:24 PM
It is how you started walkbehind here so a front mount .

cantoo
11-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Just like women, one of everything.

Envy Lawn Service
11-16-2004, 10:21 PM
ZTR's are a bit over hyped and a bit over rated in my opinion. If you ask me, all zero turn equipment is. Most of the hype is based on the zero turn part, and frankly that's the feature I like the least about ZTR's. It's a love-hate relationship for me I guess you could say.....

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
11-16-2004, 11:18 PM
You can have the best of both worlds! Buy a front mount ztr, like a grasshopper or a john deere F687. :)

Mow"N"Bud
07-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Exmark is coming out with a new mower call the Front Runner. Might be worth a look.

Envy Lawn Service
07-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Yeah it's probably the only 2006 model that can cut grass decent.

mowtech
07-30-2006, 09:46 AM
ZTR's are a bit over hyped and a bit over rated in my opinion. If you ask me, all zero turn equipment is. Most of the hype is based on the zero turn part, and frankly that's the feature I like the least about ZTR's. It's a love-hate relationship for me I guess you could say.....

I believe ZTRs are popular for the method of control versus the fact that they are zero turn. When doing a lot of maneuvering, sticks give you quicker response plus an additional degree of control versus a steering wheel and foot pedal. Out front rear steered units actual have a smaller uncut circle, but when maneuvering most people get tired of turning the wheel all the time while controlling speed with a pedal. Out front ZTRs can give you the advantage of the smaller uncut circle, but the disadvantages are that you can more easily hit into things with the rear of the machine and the weight balance makes them loose traction easier.

tacoma200
07-30-2006, 12:12 PM
As I have mentioned before most of the Larger LCO's here have front mount grasshoppers and a few midmounts. They say better in ditches, banks, some hills, under trees, rough area's. I have test drove them and it feels very odd coming off of a midmount. The front deck bucks on bumps, roots but rides pretty well otherwise. The extra weight and lenth on the back end gets in the way on tight manuevers and when you make a fast turn the back end fishtails until you get used to it. Its all a matter of seat time and getting used to it. They have a place in this business, some wouldn't have anything else, but if I were to only have one piece of equipment it would still be a midmount. Grasshopper outfronts are a great time proven machine, I've seen over 5,000 hrs on one. They track very strait also. I can't hold a light to my friends when it comes to mowing a perfectly strait line 200-300 feet. That may just be me though. I'll stick to midmounts but wouldn't mind having one. Local LCO's all use the tractor tread so you have to be careful turning etc.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Exmark is coming out with a new mower call the Front Runner. Might be worth a look.

You can get it w/ a 25hp kubota diesel, but I don't think you can get it w/ a TRITON deck.

You can only get it in a 52 or 60' cut

olderthandirt
07-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Grass hopper for a front mount Z and Steiner for a rear wheel turn front mount, they both will mow the same property at the same rate, providing you don't run the Z flat out in the turns ripping up turf