PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated crappy truck for your customer's extras?

1MajorTom
11-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Just wondering what some of you guys do when a customer asks for some extra work, but it's going to be somewhat messy. If you have a newer truck, do you take the work on or just pass on it because you don't want to "dirty" your work truck? We have an old truck we use for side jobs, it doesn't look the greatest but it serves the purpose.
We have a customer that her large tree in the back was getting out of control, to the point where I couldn't even get under it to mow. So Matt told her we were no longer going to cut that area, surprisingly she asked for her tree to be trimmed. That's what Matt did today, it's nice to have an old truck to do these types of jobs......

1MajorTom
11-16-2004, 06:52 PM

1MajorTom
11-16-2004, 06:53 PM

Creative Lawn Care
11-16-2004, 06:55 PM
I just have one truck, but i rarely ever put anythign in the bed of it, especially not branches or anything. I have the mowers in an enclosed traier and the open trailer i use for brush and stuff. Trucks cost too much to mess up

dvmcmrhp52
11-16-2004, 06:57 PM
No crappy trucks............
We use trailers for hauling, trucks are for pretty........ :rolleyes:

Is that a rental or your own chipper?

1MajorTom
11-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Rental, 26 bucks.

dvmcmrhp52
11-16-2004, 07:00 PM
That's quite the deal for 26 bucks, mind if I ask if it is a local rental center or a national chain?

fga
11-16-2004, 07:01 PM
i'll put what ever i have to in my truck, work is work. what is the point of having a heavy duty work truck if you can't use it? what a waste. i fixed up an older truck and do my job.

is that your chipper, or did you rent that?

1MajorTom
11-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Ok, I just got the receipt, it's from Fayco Rental.
http://www.faycorentals.com/index.html

Matt had the chipper for one and a half hours, they charged him for one hour, they are nice over there.
Now for the day rental, it's 130 bucks.
Matt does all the work, has all the branches piled and ready to go, then he goes and gets the chipper, that's how he always does jobs like these.

dvmcmrhp52
11-16-2004, 07:06 PM
$130..........Wow, ours are $250 for the day.

leadarrows
11-16-2004, 07:07 PM
I use my C65 for clean-up work like that. I don't go out of the way to abuse my new pick up but it's a truck and I'M not afraid to use it like one. I would have no problem using it the way you are but I might put something in front of my rear window first.

Wolfie's L&L
11-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Tom, whats with blocking out your license plate and something else on the side of the truck? What are you trying to keep from us??? :p

Jason

Mo Green
11-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Maybe he's in the witness protection program.

I have one truck, and use it for evrything. It's a 2003. I put stuff in the bed, but I am very careful. I have atrailer that I do most of my hauling with my trailer.

1MajorTom
11-16-2004, 07:12 PM
ah, now CTH, it's not really necessary for anyone to know our license plate and bu number I don't think, do you? ;)

proenterprises
11-16-2004, 07:41 PM
i really wish i was at the point where i could afford 2 trucks right now. i just got my first vehicle in july, and to be honest i love it. i use it for work, but need to go easy on it, being that it is also my daily driver to school and back.

its no problem for my mowers and gear like that, but it dosent carry brush chips or anything of that nature. its also not really what some may call a "heavy duty" truck, but it gets the job done and for a first vehicle, its excellent IMO.

In a few years, I imagine that I will get a fullsize truck, and retire this one for a backup/beater truck, but for now it needs to be a full time vehicle for the next few years.

it will get a trailer this spring, but i have decided against putting a plow on it. i think it would just be asking for major problems down the road. its a 1994 and it just hit 110,000 miles. its in great shape, but i need to keep it their. ill try and get a pic up.

sorry for rambling...

Branching Out
11-16-2004, 08:06 PM
I have a 1984 Chevy K10 that is tried and true...it sees everything from snow plowing to odd jobs....but it has since been retired from estimating...It has it's place and I love the truck...It gets treated like familia...........

Branching out..........

Runner
11-16-2004, 09:20 PM
ah, now CTH, it's not really necessary for anyone to know our license plate and bu number I don't think, do you? ;)

I just find it odd that you take the trouble to block out Matt who ever's face that is, but you post your daughter's face on your avatar. To me, this is EXTREMELY risky, and by far a security no-no. There is no way I would have my little gorl's face plastered on the internet, especially with a higher profile positionn that you have - that you are on fere everyday. If someone wanted to, they could find out where you live in less than one afternoon. As far as that goes, they could also find out what all vehicles you OWN, including cars. This would also give them the registration numbers. Now, knowing where you live, they know what school districts are in the area. This is really something you NEED to consider ahead of time. I realize that your daughter is cute and the pride of your life and all that, but not only are you not using good sense for her protection and security, but you are waving her out there for all to see. Got you thinking? I hope so. If you choose to delete this post, I surely undersatnd. I just think that it's ironic that you go through the lengths of the license plate and face of an adult, and show your most vulnerable area.

leadarrows
11-16-2004, 09:32 PM
I agree with Runner on this one. It's too bad you need to think about such things but...you do.:(

Creative Lawn Care
11-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Runner is right, but isnt it sad that we have to be like that today! I have three small children and I think/worry about them alot. Jodi, Matt seems big enough to fend for himself so its ok to show his face LOL

proenterprises
11-16-2004, 09:42 PM
I agree with Runner on this one. It's too bad you need to think about such things but...you do.:(

true, sad but all too true. i have been scammed on this internet (personal info) more than once and it breaks my heart that it happens, but it does.

fyi-i think its incredibly stupid that you bad to edit our his face, come on?! weve all got pics of us working here. you post a pic of your family on here dead center, but you edit our a side view of your hubby running a wood chipper....it just dosent add up?

1MajorTom
11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Proenterprise,
It doesn't add up because you don't know my hubby's weird sense of humor. He was here when I was coloring in the license plate green, and he says, "I want my face green too." I said, "no way", he says, "Come on, I want to look like the grinch." He pesters me a lot, so I just gave in....lol

Joe, of course I won't delete your post, and I did change my avatar. thanks,

leadarrows
11-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Well for what it's worth it did make me think of the old Grinch. Tell him mission accomplished. LOL

BMFD92
11-16-2004, 09:58 PM
I have an old F-250 that I use for those type of jobs.

Metro Lawn
11-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Trucks are a tool, just like anything else. Do you refuse to use your mowers for fear they may get a scratch on them? Geez, my mowers cost almost as much as a truck does. Let's get real here. Regardless if it is a 2005 or a 1975. Use it, that's what was made for. You want something pretty to drive, then get a car. If you want to be in this business, but can't seperate business from personal then maybe it's time to reconsider your career choice. I can't even think of someone whining that they can't use a truck to haul anything....lol You guys kill me...lol

NNJLandman
11-16-2004, 10:07 PM
I was told this once and it is so true, If its a work truck its a work truck! Use it for work, take care of it but if your using it for your business then....what can ya do. I have one truck and I use it for what i bought it for work. Eventually I mean yea i still wash and polish it from time to time and plan on making some modifications to it to make it look pretty sweet but its still gonna be a work truck till i get another truck.

Jeff

Jackman
11-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Well I have 3 trucks and Ill do any type job with the one ton but when it comes to snow plowing I have a truck thats soul purpose is to plow snow and man is it ugly but it saves my Powerstroke from the ravages of salt and sand.......

proenterprises
11-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Proenterprise,
It doesn't add up because you don't know my hubby's weird sense of humor. He was here when I was coloring in the license plate green, and he says, "I want my face green too." I said, "no way", he says, "Come on, I want to look like the grinch." He pesters me a lot, so I just gave in....lol

point taken, i didnt know you guys were just messin around. i just get nervous with pesonal info on the internet, you know one can just never be too careful.

turf9
11-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Hey jodi I like that avitar much better. I am with joes comments. ie don't give any of the jacka$$e$ any free ammunition.

Runner
11-16-2004, 10:41 PM
I have to admit ( and I get poked fun at by my friends for this) that on the rainy days or potentially rainy days, my 1 ton stays home - put away. I use my plow truck for pulling the trailer, hauling, etc. The 1 ton doesn't see rain very often, and NEVER sees winter. It stays clean and polished all the time, even when it's out mowing grass or any other work.
It woukldn't let me post pics, so here's a link to another page that has some shots of it. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=49665&page=3&pp=10&highlight=pics

dvmcmrhp52
11-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Proenterprise,

Your husband is smart for not wanting his mug all over the net.............and now so are you for changing the pic.
I would NEVER put a pic of myself or anyone I know on public view over the net.The mowerbabe pic thread was obviously popular, but, not quite well thought out in my judgement.(for all those who posted)

Shadetree Ltd
11-17-2004, 01:14 AM
For those that don't like "working" their newer/nicer trucks, if it wasn't for the work how would you afford the truck in the first place? My 'personal' truck had a snow plow installed when it only had 500 miles on it. It sits mon-fri for work except during the winter months and has provided extra income to pay for itself and bank money for the next one.

Scott

John Gamba
11-17-2004, 06:00 AM
How do you empty the truck??? It dont look like dumps :cry:

John

dishboy
11-17-2004, 08:11 AM
I have to admit ( and I get poked fun at by my friends for this) that on the rainy days or potentially rainy days, my 1 ton stays home - put away. I use my plow truck for pulling the trailer, hauling, etc. The 1 ton doesn't see rain very often, and NEVER sees winter. It stays clean and polished all the time, even when it's out mowing grass or any other work.
It woukldn't let me post pics, so here's a link to another page that has some shots of it. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=49665&page=3&pp=10&highlight=pics

Joe,
Nice truck! Can you tell me the manufacturer of tool box under the bed. I have looked around a little but have not found something like that?

osc
11-17-2004, 08:29 AM
My crappy work truck is an 82 Ford F350 flatbed dump. Coudn't live without it.

lsylvain
11-17-2004, 12:21 PM
It has always amazed me how so many people think their work truck is a classic car. If you don't get your truck dirty how do you mulch? Here is a list of cool things I've used my trucks for.

They work great as step ladders for tree work, cleaning out gutters, and hedges. Especially good on the hedges when you have someone with you to pull up every so often so you don't have to get down. I wouldn't sugest this unless you have good wide tires that arn't going to make a mess off the customers property.

Pulling mowers up from the bottom of hills that were probably a little too steep to be mowing.

The hood and windshield are always handy for a nap.

Pushing cars down the road with the spare tire tied to the front of it.

Dragging logs out of the woods.

pulling the bobcat out of the mud.

Pushing fence post out of the ground. (that was fun, and saved me hours of digging them out)

Use the tail gate (removed of course) as a ramp to get up retaining walls, as a ramp from truck to trailer for fall cleanups, made a bike jump for my nefews once that worked pretty good.

What's funny is my truck looks just as good now as it did when I bought it.

rookiemower
11-17-2004, 01:37 PM
isylvain, it still looks good after you used a painted tailgate as a ramp!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Metro Lawn
11-17-2004, 03:50 PM
It has always amazed me how so many people think their work truck is a classic car.

Not me, I already have some of those...

Runner
11-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Joe,
Nice truck! Can you tell me the manufacturer of tool box under the bed. I have looked around a little but have not found something like that?

I'm pretty sure it's a Weatherguard. I'll check, though. I got it from a local truck supply place around here (were since bought out by Monroe/Knapheide Truck Equip.).

Metro Lawn
11-17-2004, 03:52 PM
I just love 71 Plymouths

Metro Lawn
11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
and 71 Dodges too, for that matter

fga
11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
It has always amazed me how so many people think their work truck is a classic car. If you don't get your truck dirty how do you mulch? Here is a list of cool things I've used my trucks for.

They work great as step ladders for tree work, cleaning out gutters, and hedges. Especially good on the hedges when you have someone with you to pull up every so often so you don't have to get down. I wouldn't sugest this unless you have good wide tires that arn't going to make a mess off the customers property.

Pulling mowers up from the bottom of hills that were probably a little too steep to be mowing.

The hood and windshield are always handy for a nap.

Pushing cars down the road with the spare tire tied to the front of it.

Dragging logs out of the woods.

pulling the bobcat out of the mud.

Pushing fence post out of the ground. (that was fun, and saved me hours of digging them out)

Use the tail gate (removed of course) as a ramp to get up retaining walls, as a ramp from truck to trailer for fall cleanups, made a bike jump for my nefews once that worked pretty good.

What's funny is my truck looks just as good now as it did when I bought it.
great stuff there! (applause)

fga
11-17-2004, 04:00 PM
metro,
are all of those yours? :dizzy: excellent. how much do you spend on security? i remember when mopars where considered redneck (not me, loved the Dukes)... now you can't touch them without a spending a fortune. there's a video i posted in the off topic thread about the 2005 mustang. the video has an old ford equiped with a hemi.. turn your volume up if you watch it..
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=839380#post839380

AL Inc
11-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Off the topic, but Metro, NICE cars. I've always loved the 60's/70's muscle cars. Especially Chryslers. One day when I have the time, I will buy the 68 GTX I've always wanted. :)

Metro Lawn
11-17-2004, 06:33 PM
metro,
are all of those yours? :dizzy: excellent. how much do you spend on security? i remember when mopars where considered redneck (not me, loved the Dukes)... now you can't touch them without a spending a fortune. there's a video i posted in the off topic thread about the 2005 mustang. the video has an old ford equiped with a hemi.. turn your volume up if you watch it..
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=839380#post839380

Thanks, yes they are all mine. I am the President of the largest Mopar club in Michigan. There is an older Mustang that runs the area. It is powered by a Mopar 340 stroker motor. Has a decal on it that says: "Built Ford Tough, with Mopar Stuff"