PDA

View Full Version : Customer says we didn't mow

Gene $immons
11-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Moron cheapo customer who has been a pita from the get go sends in his bill today, late.

He highlights two cuts and says "i don't think we cut on these dates" and he deducts the amount.

Unbelievable.

proenterprises
11-16-2004, 10:24 PM
yeah, that happens. are they two weeks in a row, or spread out. is this just monthly billing?

its kind of like those people that buy somthing with a credit card, then call the company and say "i never bought that"

theirs only so much you can do...

desert rose gardening
11-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Geezz, I thought I worked for some Bozo's! That has never happend to me in 20 years.

all degree
11-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Happened to a friend of mine and he started leaving door hangers after each visit that specified what they did (cut, hedges, fert etc) At first he did it to all people and then just the PITAS.

He even had a woman say that he didnt seed and she was there when he was doing it talking to him??

bushtrimmer
11-16-2004, 10:32 PM
We get a few of those a year. Lady called and said she was home all day and not only did we not mow her yard but she also said our truck wasn't there.
I sent her a copy of the GPS printout that showed our truck parked in front of her house for 30 minutes or so. A couple days later we got check and a letter of apology.
No problems anymore. Also helps for time and material billing of jobs.

Gene $immons
11-16-2004, 10:37 PM
The cuts were for 2 consecutive weeks 9/23 & 9/30.

He said if he was wrong "no problem" I wish I had a way to prove it. His butt would have been calling for sure if we missed two weeks in a row.

tiedeman
11-16-2004, 11:05 PM
I had that problem before until I started to record the time as well on the invoice. So far I have been doing that for a year and zero complaints on whether we didn't mow or not, while before we would always get at least a half dozen a year.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-16-2004, 11:18 PM
I do invoices as well I get crap from my guys some times saying no one else ever did this well I do and I prevent this very nightmare. Plus if we do something extra it is noted if we were to just check off a list I feel a lot of things would get missed.

Mueller Landscape Inc
11-16-2004, 11:24 PM
This is one of the reasons I went with CC and charging the customers card the day we did the service. I was tired of folks claiming their yard wasn't done 6 weeks after the fact. I also had exact times on route sheets too.

nriddle77
11-17-2004, 12:10 AM
It happend to me twice this year. Both times the one paying the bill did not live at the house. How can you prove you were there, maybe take a picture of the newspaper with the date on it and you with your mower in the background?

I'm not sure if they really thought I skipped them, or they just wanted to save a few bucks.
:realmad:

work_it
11-17-2004, 12:25 AM
I've been very fortunate. I only had that happen to me one time, and it was by a customer of a friend I was covering for. I had the date and the time written down, but she never did pay me. The next time I covered his route so he could take a couple weeks off I skipped her. She called me up complaining about how tall her grass was and I told her I would rent her my push mower for $30, but I wouldn't be the one pushing it. :p

Runner
11-17-2004, 02:45 PM
If there is ever ny question about a cut on an invoice, I provide further information. In the invoice, it states the date and operations performed. I would give the rest of the info that is recorded on my field log sheets. The time (in AND out), the direction of cut, and the height of cut. By then, they know you have it well enough documented and don't really question it.

bobbygedd
11-17-2004, 02:48 PM
i don't know why you people have so many problems with your customers.

kickin sum grass
11-17-2004, 06:15 PM
:dizzy: :rolleyes:

Green Pastures
11-17-2004, 11:19 PM
So, are you going back?

I'd never mow that property again.

HOOLIE
11-17-2004, 11:28 PM
You have to nip this kind of s*** in the bud right away, or else these customers will always be taking "creative liberties" with their bill.

charlies
11-17-2004, 11:32 PM
He highlights two cuts and says "i don't think we cut on these dates" and he deducts the amount.

get used to it. send him next months invoice, highlight his payment, and write below 'this was never paid'.

dwc
11-18-2004, 11:52 AM
this happens several times a year especially with the weed spraying. They say that we never came so we tell them about something that was in the back yard, like flowers or something and they are like oh ok. Have had them come out and talk to us, walk back in and watch us do the work then call the office and tell the secretary we didn't finish! :dizzy:
Have had some that questioned if we mowed the lawn a certain week and I just tell them yeah, thats why its not a jungle like your neighbors and that that is not how we run our business by ripping people off.
Then there are always the ones that say it just didn't look quite like I thought it should so I am not going to pay. My favorite answer is do you call up the power company when you get your bill and say my lights didn't seem to be quite as bright as they were last month so I am not paying my bill! payup

Most of these questions are thanks to the fly-by-night chop-n-drops running around that DO rip everyone off and terrify the customers. :angry:

ztoro
11-18-2004, 12:13 PM
you need to say something or he will think he was right.

Tell him you did cut those weeks and then tell him you banged his wife right after the each visit.....

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 12:23 PM
you need to say something or he will think he was right.

Tell him you did cut those weeks and then tell him you banged his wife right after the each visit.....
no way, don't ever tell a man you banged his wife. i would probably say something to the effect of, "yes, i was there, in fact, i saw a very large african man banging your wife ."

KathysLGC
11-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Na man tell him I was there banging his wife and left a deposit LoL

This can be for one of two reasons, The customer is either real cheap and trying to pull a fast one on you and testing your limits, or he has gotten burned before by other LCO's. Once cheated out of service it's hard to trust some one else providing service.

Just Monday a painter that was painting out house wanted to stay there while i was at work so he could finish up on the trim. i said what are you crazy? Last month we has Standard oil put in a new furnace and I took the day off to stay home while the work was being done. We had our septic tank cleaned 2 months ago and the same day after looking at the invoice, I pulled the cover off, caught my breath and to my surprise they charged for work they never did. We called another Co to come out and clean it this time i was there and had them in writing state what they did and how it was when they got there. The first Co is now defending their case in small claims court. :p

charlies
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Then there are always the ones that say it just didn't look quite like I thought it should so I am not going to pay.

that would undoubtably be the last time we mowed him or her.

JKOOPERS
11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
kinda sounds like a familiar incident that trugreen chem experiences alot

Mowses
11-18-2004, 05:00 PM
I've had this problem. I mowed a client twice and left invoices with the date and time and what work was completed. I didn't get any payment so i skipped the next cut and left a message with her asking for payment. She called and said she never got any invoices and the lawn never looked like it needed to be cut......that's because i kept it tidy all the time idiot. Anyhoo she spat the dummy and said she'd pay but i nothing ever came so i just cut my loses (only $50) and moved on. Funnily enough 2 months later i receive a cheque in the mail with an invoice attached to it. I guess she 'found' the invoices afterall and her guilt got to her.

The other one is we mowed with the owner there who told me we didn't do the backyard even though she saw us in there. Nutty old lady. She wanted it cut lower but now way, she has a bumpy as all hell lawn filled with sh$t grass and i told her if we dropped the blades more it will scalp the entire lawn. She told me to drop it lower next time LOL. It got better when she accused my helper of blower leaves and dirt into her garage. Whilst i'm arguing with her that we didn't go near the garage a big gust of wind blew a stack of leaves and dirt into her garage and i'm saying LOOK, DID YOU SEE THE WIND DO THAT??? She didn't believe me and kept going on about it. So i took the money and am never going back. So many people don't take care of their lawn and when you cut they blame you for it looking bad. Ummm the mower doens't fertilise or water your lawn. Crazy.