PDA

View Full Version : Crop Circles?

jd boy
11-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I have several customers, scattered in various spots of town, with a perfect circle in their lawn. The circle is growing healthier (darker & faster) than the rest of the lawn so it really stands out. I have seen them ranging in size from 1' to about 12' across, and they are always a perfect circle.

Is this what they refer to as fairy ring? What causes it, and how do you rectify it.

procut
11-17-2004, 01:27 PM
I see these all the time, but have no idea what causes them. Often times, there will be mushrooms in the ones that I see.

fga
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
how big are the circles?
front yard or back yard?

i've seen that twice, 15' to 20' wide circles. turned out there used to be above ground swimming pools, that were filled in with soil, over the sand, then seeded with a silmilar but different mixture. great drainage in those spots.. but the darker green ring was visible.

TClawn
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
do a google search on how to treat fairy rings. Hehe he.

Fvstringpicker
11-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Sounds like it may be fair ring which can be circular or semi-cirular and can range in size from a few inches to several feet. The symptoms vary, depending on the species of fungi causing the problem. They may include dark green rings with no dead turf, dark green rings with dying or dead turf in or outside the green ring or rings of dying and dead turf , or rings with mushrooms. Flutolanil fungicide provides some suppression but needs to be coupled with proper fertilization, irrigation and dethatching to help prevent the development of this disease.

TClawn
11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I've heard that corn meal can help fight fungus. go post the question in the organic forum.

lsylvain
11-17-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking since your circles are healthier than the rest of the lawn to ask. Who did the last Fert? Maby you have some competition tossing amoninium nitrate bombs instead of roundup bombs to screw with your business?

Zach76
11-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Here ya go. I'd virtually guarantee Fairy Rings based on what you've said.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/landscap/pp950w.htm#fairy

Runner
11-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Do a search for Fairy Ring. IOt is a fungal condition. The dark green circles are caused from decomposing organic materials below the surface that release nitrogen as they decompose. These are common in ares such as properties that used to be orchards or have trees on them. The tree is gone, the stump is gone, but the out root perimeter remains. The outside (smaller material) decomposes the fastest, that is why it appears like this. Over several years, as more material decomposes, the rings actually get smaller. Anyway, do a search,...it's rather interesting reading.

N.H.BOY
11-17-2004, 07:25 PM
This cant be from their septic tank can it???? :dizzy: :dizzy:

jaybird
11-17-2004, 07:43 PM
if its a real rich educated area they dont need septic tanks. remember their blank dont blank.