PDA

View Full Version : the check bounces......

bobbygedd
11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
you get half down as a deposit for a job, that's scheduled to start next week. the day arrives, you go to the home, and begin work. you're only 30 minutes into the job, the cell phone rings. it's your wife. the mail just came, and in it was a notice from the bank that the check bounced. homeowner is not there, and you have no way of contacting them. do you A) stop, drop everything, take your tools and leave. B) continue working, you'll get it straightened out later.

PLM-1
11-17-2004, 04:03 PM
you get half down as a deposit for a job, that's scheduled to start next week. the day arrives, you go to the home, and begin work. you're only 30 minutes into the job, the cell phone rings. it's your wife. the mail just came, and in it was a notice from the bank that the check bounced. homeowner is not there, and you have no way of contacting them. do you A) stop, drop everything, take your tools and leave. B) continue working, you'll get it straightened out later.

A) Don't screw with me and my money. Chances are the next check will bounce too!

fga
11-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm so glad i have family members that work as managers at big name banks. i give them the check, and it goes through immediately. no wait. i would have seen this problem before hand.

is this a current customer or a first time customer?

Mo Green
11-17-2004, 04:36 PM
I would go with option A. If the bounced check is an accident, then I'm sure the customer would understand.

lsylvain
11-17-2004, 04:50 PM
I would keep on working and finish the job. Let them know their check bounced while I was working/before I finished just to let them know. I may get screwed and have to fight for the money, but usually people don't write bad checks on purpose, they are either screw up their math or their bank screws them. I had a check bounce last month because the bank charged me $30 for my checks instead of $15.

If they didn't do it on purpose they will be impressed with my trust and understanding, pay me cash on the barrel, and call me for all their green needs for the rest of their lifes.

Duramax99
11-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Pack up, undue whatever you did and split. Go home and crack a cold one and wait for the phone call.

tx_angler
11-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Finish the job as it is surely an accounting error on either the homeowner or bank's part. Then I'd privately notify the homeowner his check was not honored by the bank and I planned on redepositing it. If it bounced a second time it's time to visit the district attorney's office and while I'm already at the court house i might just swing passed the clerk of courts office and visit with them for a few minutes. I don't know about Jersey (I left there in 1972) but here in Texas they really have no sense of humor when it comes to bad check writers.

MMLawn
11-17-2004, 05:51 PM
For me it depends on the "big picture". Is it a regular customer? If so a good one? If so do they pay on time normally? If so have they ever written a NSF check to me before? If so did they make it good at once? Is it maybe because of the New Check 21 Law and they forgot about that and thought it would be covered by say their pay check when it hit their bank, forgetting that that is now instant? How much is the check for? How much is the whole job for? Am I making a really good profit on it? How far I am willing to go on this?

riches139
11-17-2004, 08:42 PM
With the new "check 21", you're going to see alot more bounced checks. So get ready for it.

paponte
11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
C.) Never start work before a deposit check clears.

If they are eager for you to start work before a check will clear, they should me more than willing to give you cash or CC. :)

bobbygedd
11-17-2004, 08:49 PM
what's with all the smiley faces? they finally get your medication right?

paponte
11-17-2004, 08:54 PM
No, it's a cover. Doctors said there's no cure for what I have. :cool2:

bobbygedd
11-17-2004, 08:56 PM
well then, welcome to the world of the emotionally unstable :waving:

lawnman_scott
11-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Me too. But if i didnt, it would be A. I meant to quote papone saying the check has to clear before starting the work.

proenterprises
11-17-2004, 09:55 PM
A, without a doubt

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

no medication needed.

jim dailey
11-17-2004, 10:49 PM
With the new "check 21", you're going to see alot more bounced checks. So get ready for it.

Like he said, and I have already seen it from MY customers.

jim dailey
11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
A, without a doubt

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

no medication needed.

Hey, the 17th guy in from the left has mild acne.

charlies
11-17-2004, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=fga]i have family members that work as managers at big name banks. i give them the check, and it goes through immediately. no wait. i would have seen this problem before hand.[QUOTE]

goodie for you. you are so smart. can we all use your solution, or will that just help no one at all?

charlies
11-17-2004, 10:59 PM
from previous post....

"C.) Never start work before a deposit check clears.

If they are eager for you to start work before a check will clear, they should me more than willing to give you cash or CC. "

very wise. why bother collecting a deposit if your not going to wait for it to clear....but that was the point, wasn't it?

jim dailey
11-17-2004, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=fga]i have family members that work as managers at big name banks. i give them the check, and it goes through immediately. no wait. i would have seen this problem before hand.[QUOTE]

goodie for you. you are so smart. can we all use your solution, or will that just help no one at all?

GET HIM, get ALL OVER him !!!!!!

Sam-Ohio
11-17-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't have a clue as to how the rules and laws work in all the other states, but here in Ohio there are private businesses - usually called a such and such CREDIT BUREAU.

Any time we get a rubber check from a customer, our bank sends it immediatly to the local credit bureau that we have a running contract with. We don't even see the thing. They do notify us, so that we know the money is not in our account YET.

These guys always collect ! and the nice thing is that we don't pay out a cent for the service ! They are allowed to charge the deadbeat for the collection cost - and that's how they make all their money.

If you write a bad check in Ohio - the state takes the position that you have commited fraud, which of course being a criminal offense, will eventually cause you to wind up in front of a judge.

The first step that the credit burea takes [if you do not make good on the check in 24 hours] is to freeze all your credit. You can't buy squat on credit when they red flag your account on all 3 of the national credit clearing houses. Even their credit cards can start saying "DECLINE" when they slide em through the slot on the card machines at every store. This usually gets the deadbeats attention right now ! If they put a deposit into their checking account, it will be frozen , until the credit bureau resubmits the bad check back, and it gets first in line for the fresh funds. You better hope that this doesn't cause some other checks you wrote to go bad - because these will also cause you to pay a $50 penalty for each bad check, and the bank is likely to close out your checking account, and inform you that you are not a desirable customer, and ask you and your shakey account to go away. Banks have the attitude that they don't make enough money on checking accounts to put up with much hassle from deadbeats over them.

Anyway, the credit bureau can create so much trouble for a bad check writer [unless it is forged, or fraudulent] that we are usually paid within a few days.