PDA

View Full Version : Trailer size

LawnBoy89
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
This year I only have one mower, Ferris 48'' w/b. But next year I am going to be adding a Ferris ZTR, probably one of the bigger ones.

What I was wondering is what size trailer should I get. I don't want to get a 10 ft. now and then have to upgrade when I get a new mower.

How big do I need a trailor to fit a w/b and a ZTR? I don't want to get a trailer that is too small and need to upgrade so what size trailer will I need to fit both these machines, and what are you guys running?

grass_cuttin_fool
11-17-2004, 04:08 PM
I have a scag tiger cub which is a smaller compact mower and a walkbehind and the trailer is full, I have a 6.5x 12. I would seriously look at a 7ft x 16 with a side gate so you can unload the walkbehind and not have to move the z

stevesmowing
11-17-2004, 04:39 PM
they make 6.5 by 12's that have a side gate thats 5 feet wide. TSC has them for about 1,300 I think.

LawnBoy89
11-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Do you think I would be alright with a 7 X 14? I know the Ferris' are very large machines as far as width.

What is TSC and where can I find them?

grass_cuttin_fool
11-17-2004, 06:15 PM
14 footers in a single axle are a little hard to come by, and if you go with a dual axle in 14 foot then i would definately go with 16 foot, leaves you alot more room for a push blower or walk behind edger , 21 '' push mower . I would definatley try to get a trailer with a side gate no mater what size you end up with

LawnBoy89
11-17-2004, 06:27 PM
What are some good companies that make landscape trailers? Because there is a "Trailer Depot" right down the street from me but I think all they sell is Big Tex and one other company that sells inclosed stuff.

I really don't want to spend over $1500, is that possible?

Thanks for the help guys.

Eric 1
11-17-2004, 09:39 PM
TSC= Tractor Suppy Company

i dont know how your trailers price, But i can get a 6.5 X 16 dual axle with brakes and rear gate for about $1300 ad a side gate basket and racks you end up with about $2000 in it. But you may have racks already? A said gate is not necessary, but it is vary nice and worth the extra $200 or so.

p.s. I hear Big Tex is a fairly good trailer, lots of people hear have them.

jim dailey
11-17-2004, 10:06 PM
TSC= Tractor Suppy Company

i dont know how your trailers price, But i can get a 6.5 X 16 dual axle with brakes and rear gate for about $1300 ad a side gate basket and racks you end up with about $2000 in it. But you may have racks already? A said gate is not necessary, but it is vary nice and worth the extra $200 or so.

p.s. I hear Big Tex is a fairly good trailer, lots of people hear have them.

A 6.5 X 16 with dual axles, brakes and a tool rack for $ 1300-1500 is not bad. Put the w/b and the small stuff up front and under the tool rack, with the ztr to the rear, near the axles. That should work great.

Eric 1
11-17-2004, 10:08 PM
It is a good price, we seem to have cheap trailer's down here.

turftammer
11-17-2004, 11:02 PM
I think I need to be in the trailer buisness and sell to you guys. some of the prices just amaze me I can buy 16' tandem w/ramp gate & side gate for $1000 or no side gate for $750

Eric 1
11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
But does it have brakes. Sure i can get a 16ft with no brakes for about $1000, but it is not safe. And these are new.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-18-2004, 05:23 AM
And in Virginia on a dual axle, ,at least 1 axle must have brakes to be legal

LawnBoy89
11-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Well that is why I might wait until I go down to Florida to get the trailier since I hear they are alot cheaper down there. But in the mean time do you guys know if this TSC has a website. Because that is a great deal, when I got quoted up here for a big tex with 1 foot sides, 6.5 X 12 it was $1499.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-18-2004, 08:13 PM
http://www.mytscstore.com/search.asp
there ya go

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I've gotta 7x18 with a 2 ft dovetail and a 4ft gate. It also has new wheels and tires and brakes. It cost me $1400 which is cheap around here.

LawnBoy89
11-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the link.

Joplin, what type of trailer is it?

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 09:48 PM
The brand is a Branson. The pic won't post...i will try again in a bit

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Finally uploaded..

GreenMonster
11-18-2004, 10:07 PM
I think I need to be in the trailer buisness and sell to you guys. some of the prices just amaze me I can buy 16' tandem w/ramp gate & side gate for $1000 or no side gate for $750

;)

yeah, you should. Those prices are untouchable. What is the load capacity?

That my friend, I would have to see to believe. I have a hard time believing that is a quality trailer.

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
;)

yeah, you should. Those prices are untouchable. What is the load capacity?

That my friend, I would have to see to believe. I have a hard time believing that is a quality trailer.

Where i got my trailer they had some of those $795ers. Hunks of $hit. Nasty old wheels and tires that don't match, no brakes, no ramp and a really bad paint job.

Smithers
11-18-2004, 10:15 PM
here is a link to the place where i got my trailer from. They are really good, have different brand trailers and have 4 locations. check it out and give them a try. I always say that an eclosed trailer is better than an open one.

http://www.mobilestructures.com/index.html

turftammer
11-19-2004, 08:35 PM
thetrailer I bought for $750 has 2-3500# axles,brakes,gates,great paint,almost new (matching) tires, but had black steel wheels(which didn't matter had chrome ones to put on it) but you also need to understand that I live 45min. away from a town that has about 10 trailer manufacturers,so competition is tough and prices are cut to the bare bone. so believe it or not you can get a quality trailer for that price.

captaingreen
11-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Hey turftammer, min if I ask where you picked up that trailer? I'm looking for a 7'x12' or 7'x14' trailer. I have family in Ill. we visit every now and then. Here in MO I was quoted $1095 for 77"x12' and $1140 for 77"x14' single axle. They are very well built, from the dealer I bought my last 6.5'x10', just need something a little bigger.

LawnBoy89
11-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Joplin Mower, did you buy that trailer new or used? That is very nice for that price, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

petrantz, I think that trailer company is too far away for me, the only reason I can get one in Florida or anywhere in between is because we are going to Florida in the spring and Myrtle Beach in the summer.

turftammer, I found a trailer JUST LIKE that for the same exact price with serge brakes but my dad doesn't want a trailer sitting at my house all winter for some reason, so I'm not getting it. :(

Thanks alot guys.

Smithers
11-20-2004, 08:51 AM
lawnboy,

they have 4 locations....AZ, IN, Ga (i think) and Pensilvania.

LawnBoy89
11-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Oh, I could probably check them out in Pensilvania then.

I'm going to Mass. on friday to check out left over 04' F-150's. They are selling them for 10,000 less then msrp! The 5.4L is about 2,000 extra, I'm trying to convince my dad to get it because we have a 4.6L now and the power just isn't there.

LawnBoy89
11-20-2004, 05:56 PM
By the way guys, thanks for all the help I have one more question.

I still have a couple more leaf cleanups to do and the ramps I have been using to get it into the truck have been nothing but problems. They are for my dirtbike and quad nad have really big gaps inbetween the bars taht go across. I laid wood over it but they are still a problem because they really aren't very long.

What I'm asking is would the ramps that you can buy from Home Depot or Lowe's that are made from a peice of wood be strong enough to hold my mower? It's a 48'' Ferris.

I figure for the time being it would be good and I would also be able to use them for my snowblower. I have no experience with the weight that the wood can hold so what do you guys have to say about it?

grass_cuttin_fool
11-21-2004, 08:26 AM
i BOUGHT A SET OF ALUMINUn ramp kits where you add the wood for the ramps. I bought the set that is for the 12'' wide boards. That is what I had whenI 1st started out and they are plenty strong will handle 800-900 pounds easy. Here is a link to the ramps I have http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Ramp.cfm
I have seen theese kits at lowes, home depot, sears, northern tool at better prices but this gives you an idea

LawnBoy89
11-21-2004, 02:37 PM
That is exactly what I'm looking for. I just wasn't sure if the wood would hold up but I guess so. Thanks alot.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-21-2004, 03:52 PM
I forgot to add that I used treated lumber, more expensive, but will last along time. After I sold the trailer , they still come in handy about loading something in the back of the truck and around the house at times

LawnBoy89
11-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks, I will definetly use pressure treated lumber. Matter of fact, I already have 2 X 8 peices of treated lumber right now that I could use that were meant for the deck me and my dad are building but we won't need them until next year so it would be better to just use them as my ramps. Thanks again.

eXtreme Lawns XLS
11-21-2004, 05:49 PM
how big mower you going with ? 92" x 16' can hold a 5000Z 72" unit a husler 60" and walker 48" and 32" farris walk

LawnBoy89
11-21-2004, 07:50 PM
how big mower you going with ? 92" x 16' can hold a 5000Z 72" unit a husler 60" and walker 48" and 32" farris walk

Wait, a 16 foot trailer can hold 2 ZTR's and 2 w/b's?!? Wow, I am probably going to get a 14 foot anyways because my parents don't want me having a trailer as it is because they don't think I can handle it.

All I'm going to have on it is a 21'' (which I can probably put in the bed of the truck itself) a Ferris 48'' and a Ferris ZTR (possibly 5000Z :D) and all the other small stuff which I will probably put in the bed of the truck also.

I could probably sneak it on a 12 footer but I hear it would be really really tight.

PLM-1
11-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Joplin Mower, did you buy that trailer new or used? That is very nice for that price, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

petrantz, I think that trailer company is too far away for me, the only reason I can get one in Florida or anywhere in between is because we are going to Florida in the spring and Myrtle Beach in the summer.

turftammer, I found a trailer JUST LIKE that for the same exact price with serge brakes but my dad doesn't want a trailer sitting at my house all winter for some reason, so I'm not getting it. :(

Thanks alot guys.

Brand spankin new! They even ordered it in for me!

LawnBoy89
11-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Wow, what type of trailer is it? I'll ride my bike to trailer depot today and see if they sell them.

FrankenScagMachines
11-22-2004, 08:14 PM
maybe i'm missing something but your mom and pop have let you do all you have so far, but you don't think they will let you get a trailer, but somehow they might let you get a new Ferris 5000Z (this is the Cat Diesel model). Ok i don't quite get it. However i kinda know how it is, my parents used to be a little funny about stuff but now i proved i can handle responsibility and i have gobs of stuff (including a '04 Ferris 1000Z 52" i bought new this spring, with the 3-bag fast vac on it too, great machine!).

Here's my rig. I built this trailer myself it is a 7.5' wide, 22' long. Has tandem axles with electric brakes on both axles, has the safety breakaway feature with battery and a charger for the battery (charges whenever hooked to truck), 5' long rear gate with dual springs, 4' side gate (for my 36" Exmark TTHP hydro 17hp that i custom built), solid oak lumber, trimmer racks, front equipment cage, spare tire, all the standard lights plus backup lights and two sets of marker/turn signal lights along each side of the trailer. It is pretty sweet. Don't try this at home! LOL... No the trailer is not nearly full with the mowing equipment on it as shown here, but with the leaf removal gear, we fill it up just about. Between the Ferris and Exmark, there's usually a 21" Lawn Boy, and a plastic tub that we keep misc stuff in like the cloth bagger for Lawn Boy, tarps, straps, etc. Then in that space is also a side catcher for the walk behind. The open area in front of the walk behind is actually used. We hop on top of the trailer deck in that area, lower the side of the front basket and get the blowers out that way. Seems like a waste of space but again, in fall it gets filled with more leaf removal gear.

I am 17 by the way.

LawnBoy89
11-22-2004, 08:29 PM
That trailer is one of the nicest I've ever seen. If you really built that yourself then you have some serious skills. Where did you learn how do so something like that?

As for the 5000z, I'm probably going to get the gas model and pay for the whole thing with the profits I make. I just want my parents to start me off with a mower and hopefully a trailer and I'll do the rest myself. I just came back from leaving for school at 6:30, coming home going straight to work at the grocery store until 8 and now I'm exhausted. And the saddest part is I can make more in 1 hour of mowing then I did all day at the grocery store.

FrankenScagMachines
11-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh, when i get where i need another big mower, I have room for it :) Just have to re-organize things a little in the front end (may do that anyway). The extra width of this trailer (7.5' because it goes around the fenders not to the inside of them) allows even a 72" mower with a bagger attached if thats ever even necessary. The electric brakes on both axles is just simply put, sweet. I would never have a trailer over 12' without brakes. I do have a 6.5' x 12' open trailer that i started out with, its a single axle with a 4' gate that i put a spring on it. This spring I refurbished it with new treated lumber and new expanded steel on the sides (mesh) plus new paint, and a new heavy duty tongue for it (old tongue was bent) and added a small open top cage on the tongue for misc. stuff. Then this summer i built the big trailer (had i known i would build this i would not have put the money into the little trailer).

Oh the big trailer also has a Pro-Locker installed to hold the Z from moving (parking brakes are a joke, i even adjusted it tight but loosened up again somehow).

Now in the fall, the truck has a 4' tall setup on the bed, steel sides with a tarp on top. An 11hp Billy Goat leaf vac sits on top of the trailer cage to suck leaves into the truck. I made a rack on the trailer to hold my 24' extension ladder (for gutters and roof cleaning), we have a Billy Goat push blower, hand tools like rakes (on the floor for now, this winter will make a rack for them, no time now), two to three backpack blowers (including '04 Echo 650 and '04 Redmax 8000), and a Echo handheld blower/vac (used for the vac feature to suck up tiny piles or for tiny drives in the summer). Plus another gas can, 6 gallons, for 2 cycle mix since the 2 gallon one used for mowing does not go very long using two or three big backpack blowers for leaf work.

You'll get there someday just be patient :)

I am growing the business and next year when i graduate i will go full time. Its nice that i already have all the gear (i also have extra backup gear for all the small stuff like 2 cycle and 21") and 20-30 lawns currently, everything is paid for but the Ferris and it will be paid for next season.

Oh i beleive i have about $1300 or so into that trailer. If you are interested, i would build you a custom trailer this winter exactly to your specifications and can help as far as making suggestions or coming up with new ideas for it or things that would make you more effecient/productive and capable on your jobs, and make things easier on you. This winter i have much more to do to my trailer, a water cooler jug rack, hand tool rack, maybe backpack blower racks (or just keep with the cage for now it works great anyway), and a couple other things.... I just got to the point where it is very usable and needed to put it to use, can take care of luxuries later.

Shoot me an email at eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz if you are interested in a custom trailer with all your goodies at a reasonable price.
Talk to ya later,
Eric

FrankenScagMachines
11-22-2004, 08:35 PM
i've just always liked working on things, then realized i really like modifying/building things... slowly i aquired some larger tools (air compressor we always had one, now i have a bigger one, paint gun, welder, power saws, grinders, drills, drill press, etc. all the toys that make it possible). its a hobby but i wouldn't mind doing some custom work for others. i beleive i stand in a good position to do things like this for other lawn companies because since i operate one and am an effeciency freak, i understand what it takes to have a productive, effecient setup that makes things much easier day in day out. I see some setups and i have no clue how those people survive with their stuff setup that way. and the sad thing is, they have a decent size trailer for their equipment, just very poorly setup and organized. also i have an inventive gene or two or three in me, so i can come up with some great ideas on things that others may not think about even.

PS- if you have instant messengers, talk to me on AOL my name is ninetyf250
on MSN it is eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz i'm online right now.
Eric

On edit- PPS, besides backup lights, the trailer also has a backup alarm on it :p
Truck and trailer is 47' combined overall length :dizzy:

Eric 1
11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
He seems to be just short of genius. I guess some are born with it. :cool:

FSM. would you mind if i pm'ed you. I recently acquired a 20ft trailer frame to fabricate to my specks over the winter, maybe you can give me some pointers on what you did.

FrankenScagMachines
11-22-2004, 09:14 PM
He seems to be just short of genius. I guess some are born with it. :cool:

FSM. would you mind if i pm'ed you. I recently acquired a 20ft trailer frame to fabricate to my specks over the winter, maybe you can give me some pointers on what you did.
Thanks.
You want to PM me? Hmm i'll have to check with my manager....

Just kidding dude! yes PM me! shoot it'd be better to email me at the above posted address. i hardly check or respond to PM's. Be glad to help you anyway i can.
Eric

Eric 1
11-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks.
You want to PM me? Hmm i'll have to check with my manager....

Just kidding dude! yes PM me! shoot it'd be better to email me at the above posted address. i hardly check or respond to PM's. Be glad to help you anyway i can.
Eric

LOL. Manager. :dizzy:

Ok look for it in the next few days, to lazy and tired to think right now. :sleeping:

FrankenScagMachines
11-22-2004, 09:23 PM
i completely understand lol.... later bud

LawnBoy89
11-22-2004, 09:52 PM
You own, I'll talk to you on instant messenger.

FrankenScagMachines
11-22-2004, 10:25 PM
yeah i'm on right now
may not be on a long time though.

turftammer
11-22-2004, 11:29 PM
captaingreen your in luck you don't even have to leave missouri the dealers are in sikeston but look around because some of them are a little crappy but you will find plenty that are more than heavy duty enough for lawn care

LawnBoy89
11-23-2004, 08:54 AM
I went on and put your name on my buddy list but it said you weren't on. I'll talk to you later tonight on it if you go on.

FrankenScagMachines
11-23-2004, 10:26 AM
ok i'll look for ya buddy. sorry i was off and on last night. i'll try to be on tonight.