PDA

View Full Version : peltors? which model?

fga
11-17-2004, 04:49 PM
my wife ordered this model for me today for christmas...
which of these models do you use, and what's the real difference?

fga
11-17-2004, 04:50 PM
there's also the yellow version, a few more bucks..

fga
11-17-2004, 04:50 PM
or the racetunes.. which has a input jack.

Mo Green
11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
I use the yellow ones. Got them at Lowes or HD, not sure which, for $49.95. They seem to work great. I use them all day when I am working. I not sure what the differences are. Check the web sight, maybe you can find info there.

MMLawn
11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
The yellow ones are what I have and the most common. They are a life saver against both the engine noise and getting bored. I normally listen to talk radio. The yellows are analog tuning though. Talk her into spending a $100 or ever how much it is to upgrade to the digital tuning ones (not sure what color those are) as they will pick up the stations better. Also these are all HOT in the summer if you are in hot climates and I rarely wear them here in NC Jun-Aug.

fga
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
I use the yellow ones. Got them at Lowes or HD, not sure which, for $49.95. They seem to work great. I use them all day when I am working. I not sure what the differences are. Check the web sight, maybe you can find info there.
as far as i see on the sellers pages, the only difference described is the color, and the yellow has a NRR rating of 25, the grey 22. just figured there would be more then that little difference, you know. why even make another product so similar.

do you get good reception with those?

eruuska
11-17-2004, 06:28 PM
What's Peltor's website address?

TIA,
Eric

ALarsh
11-17-2004, 06:33 PM
as far as i see on the sellers pages, the only difference described is the color, and the yellow has a NRR rating of 25, the grey 22. just figured there would be more then that little difference, you know. why even make another product so similar.

do you get good reception with those?

I have the yellow ones. When you fine tune it into the radio station, the reception is great.

Up North
11-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Adam, I have the ones on top in yellow. I like them a lot and they work very well. I wish the AM worked better but I attribute that to the area I'm in. I picked mine up at ACE Hardware for $49, they matched Wal-mart.

Nice Christmas gift!

Buck

CamLand
11-17-2004, 06:48 PM
I have many pairs from Burgundy to yellow to blue and they all are really good units...

fga
11-17-2004, 06:50 PM
what's up Buck?
yellow seems to be the item with everyone, however she ordered the top ones ( i told her too). they are supposed to be almost identical other then the color.

for christmas also, i think she also ordered 2 striping kits for the 21's, from inventek. :cool: Odin had some nice pics with that set up. i already can't wait for spring!

Up North
11-17-2004, 06:56 PM
what's up Buck?
yellow seems to be the item with everyone, however she ordered the top ones ( i told her too). they are supposed to be almost identical other then the color.

for christmas also, i think she also ordered 2 striping kits for the 21's, from inventek. :cool: Odin had some nice pics with that set up. i already can't wait for spring!

Been busy chasing deer the last couple weeks! I caught (that's what the city folks say) a couple with my rifle, nothing with the bow yet. Did you see the picture of the buck Camland shot? Nice!

Why is it everyone's wives buy them cool Christmas gifts and I'm lucky to get a bag of candy??? :rolleyes:

How ya been Adam? Did you ever take up archery? I remember when I first signed on here at lawnsite.com you had stumbled upon an outdoor range and were thinking about getting into it.

Buck

ztoro
11-17-2004, 07:48 PM
I have the race tunes the blue ones.

they have the input, not sure if it can handle and MP3 player. they say its for a scanner. I am going to try my Ipod in it and see if it works....

It looks like regular 1/8 jacks but I thought I heard the lady say something about only scanners working...??????

GreenMonster
11-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Adam, we have the yellow ones. $37 at Wal-Mart. They blow em out this time of year, although you may be a little late. We went looking again a few weeks ago and the guy said they sold the last few pair at a deep discount :(

We really need one more pair. I'd like the blue ones for myself :)

Carolina Cutter
11-18-2004, 03:13 AM
I have the ones in the first picture...a buddy has the ones in the second. I like mine and he likes his. But I am kinda partial to mine....LOL. We both found that we had to trim the center of the foam inside the muffs to hear the radio well. It still depletes the noise but now we can hear the radio. After many years of foolishly not wearing hearing protection I will not start any equipment without these now!

LwnmwrMan22
11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
I have the ones in the first picture...a buddy has the ones in the second. I like mine and he likes his. But I am kinda partial to mine....LOL. We both found that we had to trim the center of the foam inside the muffs to hear the radio well. It still depletes the noise but now we can hear the radio. After many years of foolishly not wearing hearing protection I will not start any equipment without these now!

Never really thought about trimming the foam from the speaker out.

Now that the temps have dropped into the 30's, I've been wearing the Peltors over a stocking cap, one with the big ball on the top. :rolleyes:

Anyways, talk radio gets even quieter not once that's done. I might have to try trimming the foam down.

HighGrass
11-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Adam, I have the ones on top in yellow. I like them a lot and they work very well. I wish the AM worked better but I attribute that to the area I'm in. I picked mine up at ACE Hardware for $49, they matched Wal-mart.

Nice Christmas gift!

Buck

Agree. FM is great. AM is a little week but still usable. I wear them ALL the time.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
I have the yellow ones, I kinda like the ones with the input. It would be nice to carry the scanner or cd player or something different at times. Some one asked earlier about the web site addy, http://www.aearo.com/default2.cfm

Ability
11-18-2004, 11:12 AM
It just gets too hot here in Tn in the summer to use those comfortably.

Is there any type of noise cancelling radio/cd players that are in the "individual" ear piece type of speaker, like ear plugs or something?

Thanks

ztoro
11-18-2004, 11:26 AM
I have the yellow ones, I kinda like the ones with the input. It would be nice to carry the scanner or cd player or something different at times. Some one asked earlier about the web site addy, http://www.aearo.com/default2.cfm

I plugged my Ipod in and it does work, however you need to find a channel with no static.

It doesnt have an Aux. Button to push for an input device. It basically just plays over the what you are currently listening to.

LwnmwrMan22
11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
It just gets too hot here in Tn in the summer to use those comfortably.

Is there any type of noise cancelling radio/cd players that are in the "individual" ear piece type of speaker, like ear plugs or something?

Thanks

What I do when it's too hot for the Peltor's, is I've got a box of those little foam ear plugs that you can roll up and stick into your ear and use those.

Then I take a standard set of headphones, the smaller types that fit "into" your ear and put those over the earplugs, or try to push them into the ear plug.

The sound is deadened somewhat, but you'd be surprised what you can hear.

Also, if you've already got the headphones on your head, when you put the earplug into your ear, if you're fast enough before the earplug expands back out, you're able to get the ear piece from the headphones wedged in there and the ear plug will "form" around the ear piece as well.

Usually I'll put my hat on over the headphones, it'll keep the headphones tighter into my ears when I'm doing this.

Up North
11-18-2004, 11:56 AM
You know what they need to design? Remember when Gilligan on Gilligans Island cracked his jaw and his fillings started working as antennas and when he would open his mouth he turned into a radio? To get a different station they would crank on his head one way or the other. Now why can't someone engineer something like that? Pop in a special filling or crown, twist your nose to increase or decrease volume, tap one ear or the other to move up & down the channels. That way we could just wear regular ear plugs and not have to spend $$ on Peltors.

Where's Geo or Olderthendirt when you need them...they could probably put something together. Although Geo's design would turn out to be a police scanner. :D

Buck

Gautreaux's LNG
11-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Used the yellow ones myself, worked great. You can't here yourself when you sing bad. Well I always sing bad. :cool2:

doublesharp
11-18-2004, 12:28 PM
My yellow ones have been through 3 seasons and still going strong. The digital ones used to be fm only. Not sure if they still are.

fga
11-18-2004, 09:05 PM
You know what they need to design? Remember when Gilligan on Gilligans Island cracked his jaw and his fillings started working as antennas and when he would open his mouth he turned into a radio? To get a different station they would crank on his head one way or the other. Now why can't someone engineer something like that? Pop in a special filling or crown, twist your nose to increase or decrease volume, tap one ear or the other to move up & down the channels. That way we could just wear regular ear plugs and not have to spend $$ on Peltors.

Where's Geo or Olderthendirt when you need them...they could probably put something together. Although Geo's design would turn out to be a police scanner. :D

Buck
listen buck,
dental work costs enough as it is, without requesting talk radio and news highlights from your molars! :)