PDA

View Full Version : More Ramp Help

Husky03
11-17-2004, 04:52 PM
I posted a thread a while back about getting some ramps for my mower, but I did not have the measurements of my mower or trailer at the time so I did not know which to get. I have a 7' x 10' dump trailer that was made for snowmobiles. I have checked around about getting a ramp welded on the back and it seems to be around $400 to have this done and my local mowing dealer told me he thought it would be more ideal to just get some nice aluminum ramps. I need ramps that will get my Gravely 34Z on and off of my trailer safely. I want to be able to get my push mower off with these ramps also, so the rungs need to be fairly close together so the wheels will not get stuck. The best place I have found has been
http://www.discountramps.com/tractor_ramp_page.htm
They seem to have reasonable prices and plenty of selection. Which ramps from the link will work for me? The rear of my trailer is between 21"-24" off of the ground depending on the hitch I get on my truck ( hitch not mounted yet to check). I appreciate the help and sorry to post the same thing again :)

BOTURF
11-17-2004, 05:45 PM
With spending 400.00 bucks to have a ramp installed which is far safer than regular portable ramps you can sell the trailer and save the 400 bucks and buy you a new trailer with a back ramp from factory. I would never use the ramps that are removable as i have seen 2 mowers with alot of damage that fell off of the portable ramps . If you opt to buy a new trailer get a low slung axle so trailer will set lower creating less of a problem dragging or bottoming out with loading and unloading . Just my 2 cents

Husky03
11-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Thank you for the advice, but it is not what I want to hear. I do not want a new trailer. I just purchased the 34Z and I have other expenses and I cannot go out and buy a new trailer before next spring. Besides, the trailer I have now looks good and I have out a lot of work into it. I would think if you secure the ramps properly with pins or cables and use good common sense they will be safe. I need this trailer to work atleast for my first year. What is the safest way to secure the ramps while driving over them?

Thanks...

Smithers
11-17-2004, 07:47 PM
husky,

i personally like to have as few gaps between the ramp rods "steps" as i can. Also, space between the two ramps scares me too. i feel like it will fall in between and the 1K lb will crush me.

I'd buy a few ramps to make "one solid platform", which would cost me ~$400 or so....almost as much as a new gate.

You are from IN....did you talk to MSI, in Elkhart? their stuff is cheap and really good. that's where i got my trailer.

Green Care
11-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Gated ramp will be safer and also better.I have all different kinds of ramps thats I brought none is safer the ramp gate.

Husky03
11-18-2004, 06:22 PM
I probably am not going to use this trailer for very long and I do not want to get a ramp welded on. I guess if I am going to be doing this the unsafe way with ramps. What are the safest ramps I can use that will work with my push mower and be able to be secured on my trailer with pins or cables?

Thanks... :dizzy:

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 09:12 PM
If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot they have "Ramparts". You just get some wood and attach the cleats. They come with pins that are supposed to help hold the ramp from sliding on you. Hope this helps!

Husky03
11-18-2004, 09:23 PM
I already have some of those metal board ends. I do not remember who they were made by. I have them on new treated 2" x 8" or 2" x 6". I am not sure, what the size of the boards are. These bow dangerously low with mower on them. I do not trust them.

Thanks...

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 09:51 PM
I already have some of those metal board ends. I do not remember who they were made by. I have them on new treated 2" x 8" or 2" x 6". I am not sure, what the size of the boards are. These bow dangerously low with mower on them. I do not trust them.

Thanks...

I had to load my Grasshopper up into the back of a truck before with a set. Mine were 2x8. My GH fits in a truck witht the deck off but it still weighs 1000 lbs. I didn't have any problems.

tx_angler
11-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Thank you for the advice, but it is not what I want to hear. I do not want a new trailer. I just purchased the 34Z and I have other expenses and I cannot go out and buy a new trailer before next spring. Besides, the trailer I have now looks good and I have out a lot of work into it. I would think if you secure the ramps properly with pins or cables and use good common sense they will be safe. I need this trailer to work atleast for my first year. What is the safest way to secure the ramps while driving over them?

Thanks...

Husky,

Your probably not getting the response you want to hear because what you are trying to do is not only unsafe and dangerous but also economically unwise. If one ramp gives way/breaks/ whatever with you on the mower, the mower will roll over and probably crush you to death. If you don't get killed I can guarantee you'll regret using the removable ramps for the rest of your life.

Sell your current trailer and put the proceeds toward buying another trailer with a hinged gate.

When I was your age, I rebuilt a car and spent several thousand of dollars on custom this, custom that, adapter plates, headers, cam shaft, solid lifters, new interior, new paint, four speed transmission with the Hurst shifter, custom mag wheels, high performance intake manifold, Holley carburetors, etc. When I was done I figured out that I could have bought a brand new Corvette for what I spent on parts for that car. Granted it was the best looking and equipped eleven year old car around, but it was still eleven years old!

Listen to these guys, and get another trailer and be done with that problem.

PMLAWN
11-19-2004, 06:28 AM
A point not talked about yet is time. You say you can not afford a trailer yet you want to spend a ton of time at each job moving ramps.
Open a ramp and start unloading-OR- open a door or wall, grab a ramp set it in place, put in the pin, grab the other ramp, set it in place, set the pin. Now you start to unload. And reverse to load plus you have to put the ramps back in each time and if you have an aerator or something else extra on the trailer than you have fit problems. I did this for a month and it is a lot of time.
Maybe 2 min. a job for in and out-
Times 14 jobs= 28 min a day X 5 = 140 a week X 35 weeks=4900 Min a year lost to moving ramps. If time is billed at $60. per hour than you could buy a nice enclosed trailer or 4 open trailers with the money you lost. Even at $30 per hour that is $.50 a min or $2450.00
Equipment is the smallest cost idem in this business.
Labor is the largest.
Each and every equipment purchase you make should be based on efficient use of time

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-19-2004, 06:48 AM
I have fallen off of ramps while loading a lawn tractor into a pickup. Not fun.....I don't know how I didn't get hurt. The torque from the drive wheels pulled the one ramp right off the tail gate of the truck.

I went out and bought my first trailer the next day.

Derek

Husky03
11-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Not only can I not afford to buy another trailer right now, I cannot sell the one I have now because it has no serial number. I got this trailer from a guy that used it only around his house and it was not registered or anything. I have to take pictures to the liscense branch of my trailer along with having the police come out to verify it was not stolen and several other things all to get this stupid serial number. The liscense branch told me this would be a 2-3 month process after I get the the pictures and police verification. I am going to get the pictures today and then I have to find time to get them over to the liscense branch. I am hoping to have all of this done by next spring before mowing starts back up. So no, this may not be the most economical solution or the safest, but it is going to have to get me by atleast until the beginning of next year. I hope to get an enclosed trailer sometime in the near future. I am sorry to argue, but I have to get by with this trailer for now. If the ramps are used properly I do not think it is going to be so dangerous to get me by for a while.