PDA

View Full Version : customer wonts to help

chambers 38
11-17-2004, 08:25 PM
I was wondering if any of you solo guys would discount a job if the customer helps??
I had a customer help he take down a small (in diameter) but very tall tree and I needed help so I didnít fall off my later or worse!!
Iím thinking if like taking off 10 dollars or so?? What do you think?? payup

PLM-1
11-17-2004, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't be against a customer helping in that respect but ordinarily i wouldn't want them to help. They would just get in the way IMO. the only thing i would worry about is if something happened to the customer while he was helping. i would think that your insurance may call it negligence for letting him help.

Nitro Junkie
11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
i dont know if i would up for it on a regular basis but for now its a good gesture and is a good way to keep a happy customer payup

tiedeman
11-18-2004, 03:42 PM
I would tell the customer no thanks, you can do it yourself

DLS1
11-18-2004, 04:02 PM
No their could be liability by you if customer helps and uses your equipment and gets hurt.

jimmyq
11-18-2004, 04:39 PM
careful with the help, insurance, workers comp etc. also, makes you look like you arent able to handle the job (unprofessional). for payment I would hesitate to throw a discount or give a payment, it lets the customer do the math and they may feel that you are gouging. get a card and some lotto tix or something :) . If I have a customer that insists on "helping" I up the charge by a chunk 15-20% depending on how much the bug me. and I dont give them squat for a discount nor a payment. exception I had this summer, clients 15 yr old son was off from school so I let him shovel dirt and drive a wheelbarrow for $10 an hour, agreed upon at the start of work.

chambers 38
11-18-2004, 08:08 PM
No not using equipment just a helping hand when I was taking down some trees in his yard and ya I didnít wonít him there to long and was concerned if he had got hurt. But its not like he was the one on the later trying to cut the thing with out the later falling off the telephone poll
But today I gave him the bill and discounted off 10$ for his bill and he was great full and he also asked me to come back for more this week (est. about another 150-200$ of work)
k for more this week (est. about another 150-200$ of work )

grasswhacker
11-18-2004, 08:33 PM
My hesitation would be if you do something that causes the customer to get hurt you could be liable for a lawsuit. Be careful.
I myself would not ever have any client participation in a job, and would not bid a job that i could not do myself. Just food for thought.

YardPro
11-20-2004, 08:00 PM
don't let them help.

if they do and get hurt they are considered your employee, ESPECIALLY if you give them a discount (effictavely a payment).
laibility nightmare.

lafrance4078
11-23-2004, 08:29 PM
I agree with everyone else. Also, they are a huge pain in my A*#!. Don't even like them being home when I am at there house working.