PDA

View Full Version : Legitimately starting a REAL business...

sailinstud420
11-17-2004, 08:39 PM
I am a senior in High school and next year plan to start a real lawn business. Call me a scrub, I really don't care, but yes I mowed 9 lawns all season uninsured and unlicensed. Can someone please help me on what to do to get a real business going, as far as a license, insurance, taxes, etc goes. What are the bare minimums that I have to do to be a legal business? I am not yet worried about overhead, gas, contracts, equip etc etc. Please leave that out of this discussion for now. I know what i have as far as equip and what i need, and do not worry, I am not mowing with murray lawn tractors and electric string trimmers. I want to know who to call and what to ask to get things rolling. The secretary of state perhaps, how about choosing a name and finding out if it is being used currently. Any help is much appreciated!!!

HOOLIE
11-18-2004, 12:14 AM
You'll get your business license thru your county/city/town, depending where you live. Call your county clerks office, they'll direct you where to go. They're also the ones to contact regarding registering you business name.

Most insurance companies offer business insurance, I'd first check with whoever you have your car insurance with.

Taxes, you should really consult with an accountant.

If you are not yet 18 years old, you'll need a parent to set this up in their name, generally.

sailinstud420
11-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Is it possible to get insurance without uncle sam finding out? A bank account and a business name, I'd think they figure it out pretty quick... Anymore thoughts?

sailinstud420
11-18-2004, 07:19 PM
I was able to find a site, Michigan.gov, according to this, which I am going to trust you do not need any kind of license to conduct this type of business. So that means no taxes other than income tax right? At 18 years old I don't think that will be any issue either. Insurance than would be optional? Looks like I become a bigger "scrub" operation... Any other comments or help out there?