PDA

View Full Version : new trailer!

proenterprises
11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, It just kind of happened. Somone at my moms office had a 4x8' trailer that they were looking to get rid of...and its my favorite price...FREE!

I know its not that big, but right now I for my 48" walkbehind its perfect! I assume I will upgrade to a bigger one later.

My question-what is required to get it going...just a reciever, and then a ball? My truck has never been used to tow before (although its meant for it) SO, I assume I will have to take it to a trailer dealer to get it outfitted?

Final question, do I need to get a title or bill or sale or anything to prove ownership to DMV when I get it registered?

Thanks a million. :blob3:

Lazer_Z
11-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro does your truck have a hitch already?? If it does you just need a ball mount. Or if your truck is low enough you could bumper pull the trailer. And yes you will need the title but the bill of sale i'm not sure on everystate has different rules.

Could you post a pic of your truck from the rear??? If you have any more questions feel free to ask here of if you prefer you could PM me i'll help ya the best I can.

Mo Green
11-17-2004, 09:28 PM
How were hualing your equipment before? Are you sure your mower will fit? Most 48" mowers are 49" or 50" wide.

I think you will need a title. I have a 5x10 and mine had to be titled. It may vary from state to state. Check with you local Dept. of Motor Vehicles, or whatever agency handles vehicle registration in your state.

proenterprises
11-17-2004, 09:28 PM
lazer, thanks.

i do not believe that it has a hitch, i was told when i bought it that it was never used to town, ever. it has a hold in the bumper, and its standard height, so i am hoping that i could just put a ball in the hole and use it that way?

ill try and get a pic up when i can find a camera.

proenterprises
11-17-2004, 09:30 PM
How were hualing your equipment before? Are you sure your mower will fit? Most 48" mowers are 49" or 50" wide.

I think you will need a title. I have a 5x10 and mine had to be titled. It may vary from state to state. Check with you local Dept. of Motor Vehicles, or whatever agency handles vehicle registration in your state.

no im not sure. i just heard tonite and its free so im takin it. i hope it fits :cry:

before, i was just putting it in the back of my truck and using ramps.

Mo Green
11-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey bro, free is free. If by chance your mower will not fit, there are a number of other things that you can use it for. You can still put your WB in your truck, and use the trailer for the rest of your equipment.

FrankenScagMachines
11-17-2004, 09:35 PM
what they all said, and also, you need a trailer light plug. Gotta make sure your lights work on the trailer and fix if they don't. You can usually buy a plug-n-play wiring harness where you pull apart a plug on the back end of your truck, and plug in a T connector that has a wiring harness for trailers right on it, so instead of a straight plug, it's now a 3 way, with the one direction from the truck brains to the truck taillights and the other one that you plugged in going to trailer lights. you can get these at most any major parts store, may have to be ordered just depends on what they have stocked. careful you don't snap the plastic latch on the plug on the truck or you can have loose plug problems later on that will be a major pain.
there's two kinds of light plugs for an application like this (simple trailer no brakes or anything) a 4-pin rectangle plug, or a 4 pin round plug. i am going to assume your trailer has a 4 pin rectangle plug, and all the kits i know of for plugging to the truck come with a 4 pin rectangle, so you should be good there unless someone swapped on a round plug to the trailer. worry about that later, i think you'll be ok there. As for the plug and wire harness kit, look to spend anywhere from $10-25 i would say. i beleive i bought one for my previous truck, a 1990 Ford F250 for $12 or 13, but recently priced one for dad's '92 Jeep Wrangler at $20 or 25 cannot remember, but it was because they would have had to order it i guess (where i bought mine was at a cheaper place, the one i priced for the jeep was more expensive store).
good luck with the whole deal there. :)

jim dailey
11-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Put a ball mount in the hole on the step and tow bumper. Hope the truck and trailer are on the same level plane. Line them both up in the driveway and see how they look. Go to your insurance company/agent and ask about the registration for the trailer. The trailer has to be listed under your truck insurance policy. They can tell you about the bill of sale and the title. The trailer is usually listed under the truck insurance for a nominal sum.

Lazer_Z
11-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Pro anytime my friend. Jim makes a good point about the truck & trailer being level. Pro if you can't for some reason bumper pull it then just call a local trailer dealer and ask for the price on a hitch. I did the same thing and it was less than $200 and that was for a 5000lb rated hitch. Good luck with the trailer and let us know how you make out and Mo Green hit it on the head too free is free.

Eric 1
11-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Cool dude :cool:

I would offer some advice, but i think they covered it all.

proenterprises
11-17-2004, 10:13 PM
great, thanks guys. i will be picking it up late on friday, and imagine i will get things lined up over the weekend. i have decided that i probably wont register it until the spring, since it will just sit over the winter anyway.

ill keep you posted.

turftammer
11-17-2004, 11:23 PM
If the person your getting it from does not have a title you will have to apply for a lost title and that is a big pain but I would apply for a homemade title and all the info they will need is size,# of axles,axle weight and they shouldn't even need to see the trailer and as far as they know you built the trailer and they will give it a serial # and issue you a title.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-18-2004, 05:03 AM
There might be a small plate or sticker located near the front of the trailer with a serial number or id number on it and you can obtain a title like that, go ahead and see if you can get a reciept or a letter thats says the trailer ownership has been transfered to you.