PDA

View Full Version : Low Ballers

bkowalski
11-17-2004, 09:31 PM
Whats the best way to deal with low ballers?? Or can you? I just heard of a guy going through my neighborhood with door hangers any size lawn for $39 per month.

Tobruk79
11-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Let him go out of business.

bkowalski
11-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Where in Florida are you?

Tobruk79
11-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Near Daytona Beach. On Second thought, Id hire him for my mother inlaws 1 acre corner lot surrounded with chainlink because I sure hate cutting that mess )

tiedeman
11-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Let him go out of business.

exactly!!!

HOOLIE
11-18-2004, 12:07 AM
There's 2 types of lowballers, IMO. First off, there's the sneaky guy who undercuts everyone by a few bucks. He can do a little damage to your business. Then there's the guy you're describing, someone who is so exceedingly ignorant, stupid, moronic and just plain lacking in brain waves, that all you can do is shake your head at his prices.

He will be out of business pretty soon. Or sub-him out to do your lawns, make money off his stupidity...LOL

clemsonfan69
11-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Or sub-him out to do your lawns, make money off his stupidity...LOL

LOL I was just thinking the same thing. Good idea.

-CJ

LawnBoy89
11-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Let him take over one of your biggest accounts, as far as size. There is no way he will make profit off it, then he will go out of business and you can have your account back.

wayne volz
11-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Hopefully he meant $39.00 per mow. That would be more like it. If not, there is no cure for that kind of stupidity.

Mo Green
11-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Call him to cut your lawn. Pay him $39 a month. That way you can take the time that you would normally spend cutting your own each week, and add a customer at $40 per week

You pay $39 per month

You make $160 per month

Profit=$121......not bad......LOL

crawdad
11-26-2004, 08:02 AM
I lost a 30 dollar lawn to Ten Dollar Joe this year, and the place looks horrible. The man lives in Fla, the house is in Tenn, and its for sale. I guess money was more important than quality. You will always have people like this. Wave bye-bye, and replace the cheapskate. :waving:

Branchland
11-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I'd put out flyers in the same neighborhood after he starts mowing. Say something to the effect of you doing professtional service, you get what you pay for, etc...

crawdad
11-27-2004, 07:22 AM
When I did the lawn, it was the best in the neighborhood. The rest of them don't care. I had one lady ask me how much "just for weedwacking"
BYe Bye :waving: :waving:

bobbygedd
11-27-2004, 08:36 AM
they are not neccesarily going to go out of business. some people will be happy to just get by, making peanuts but just making thier bills. just because people are charging less money, doesn't mean they will end up out of business. this is why i say ALL COMPETITION IS BAD for us.

SSmith
11-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Competitors should not be feared. Competition is a good thing. There is always gonna be a natural customer "churn" that is out of your control. The more competition, the more examples you have of how your business and quality of work is superior to theirs....

I'm gonna be joining my father in 2005 in this business full time and am curious to see how quickly I can establish our company as one of quality and value. Typically price is only an issue to the salesman, not the customer. That is a general rule in all areas of sales. Establish value and the price is of no concern. There will always be lowballers......Don't fear them.

crawdad
11-27-2004, 08:22 PM
they are not neccesarily going to go out of business. some people will be happy to just get by, making peanuts but just making thier bills. just because people are charging less money, doesn't mean they will end up out of business. this is why i say ALL COMPETITION IS BAD for us.

You can get a double-cheese burger at Booger King for a buck. Do you think that'll put The Steak House out of business?

No, but it'll feed the cheapskates.
Crawdad

Mower63
12-01-2004, 07:13 AM
If you think that $39 guy is competition are you doing everything you can to satisfy your customers? If so, no worries. We have a large landscape company down here advertising they will cut 1.25 acres for 45/month. So being curious I had a friend call and ask for a quote....well they don't specify in the ad that 45/month only includes 1 cut! Imagine that in the summer time. Blowing, trimming, edging are all extras and they won't give any guarantees on which day of the month they'll show up.

Now I know my customers and they won't stand for that kind of backhanded nonsense. Therefore I not concerned. Neither should you be unless you're talking about postage stamp yards for that price.

:cool:

LCME
12-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Ask this guy if he would like to work for you. Pay him to maintain your customers. You could easily pay him $9.75 per hour.

lsylvain
02-22-2005, 04:45 PM
I've seen some low ballers do pretty darn good. Heck, I think one of them made more money than me. Atleast he was in a brand new truck every year. I know how he did it and concidered doing it myself.

On smaller lawns you will spend just as much time driving, loading, unloading, ans switing equip if not more. This one guy could do lawn at half what I charged. He would get them all right in a row down one side of the street and mow them like it was an apartment complex, mow trim blow. I bet he was making more an hour than me. For 3 years he had a row of 4 houses across the street from one of my jobs. I figure you was getting about $50.00 or so from the group as I would have priced them near $$85.00 total. But he had them done in not much longer than it took me to do my one.

Just say it takes you 5 min to load/unload and 10 minutes of drivetime. So he saves 30 minutes by doing them all right in a row, not to mention gas. He also doesn't have to pay his helper to sit in the truck for 30 mins. I just could never figure out how the heck he could get so many jobs so close together like that. (he had more than those 3)

PTP
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
If he is advertising for $39 per month, then I would bet that price includes mowing only. We need to compare apples to apples here. Now, if it is for the works, then it is a different story.

Just because his prices are lower than yours are, does not mean that he is a lowballer. He is offering a different service. He is catering to the client that just wants it knocked down.

Now, what if you see this guy's business really take off in the next year? Then join him. He obviously has what the customer wants. IMO though, most people who pay for services want at least a little bit of quality.

laborador
02-22-2005, 06:22 PM
About this time last year. I got a door hanger that stated 40 dollars a month for everyother week cut, including hedges. I called them and pretended to be a potential customer. I told them that I would be afraid they were going to go out of business in the summer. They were like, dont worry we will not go out of business. During the summer I called them again, and sure enough they were out of business. So dont sweat it.