PDA

View Full Version : Deck height adjustment question?

tool
11-17-2004, 11:04 PM
I just got a Ferris 52" Dual hydro with hanging deck & 23 hp Kaw vtwin. I was wondering what deck setting I should use for the best cut; level, tilted slightly forward, or slightly backwards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

dishboy
11-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Usually 1/8in to 1/4in nose lower than rear is reccomended. I like 1/8in. John Deere sells a blade height checker for around seven dollars.

tool
11-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks dishboy. I actually called Ferris about it since it came tilted backwards from the factory & I had to modify/machine the caster wheel bolt hole locations to level it. The guy at Ferris said he thought level would be best with a hanging deck but wasn't sure & would have the boss call back, he never did. Thanks again!

Runner
11-18-2004, 03:58 AM
Yes, level is NOT the best setting. There is a certain amount of turbulance and and forward blow to account for, and level will cause the grass to blow down some before it is lifted. Like it was stated above, a positive rake of 1/8" is the optimum amount for most mowers. However, this should be measured from bladetips, not deck frame. The blades should be pointed straight forward and back, and the height is measured then on a SMOOTH, FLAT surface.

kipcom
11-18-2004, 06:32 AM
As stated....On a smooth, flat surface... Here is a TIP for you. Use a 3 - 4 foot level on the surface you have the mower on and check for "level" then (+) or (-) the difference when you adjust your 1/8" rake. Most surfaces are not exactly level so check the surface your mower is on before you make any adjustments.

tool
11-19-2004, 12:34 AM
The first time I used it when I got it home, some of the debris was being discharged out the front end of the deck over the top of the mower & into my face. I wasn't 100% sure if it was a deck/blade height issue because it was a newly grown lawn which still had a lot of straw & some loose dirt on it, but I was sure that it was real annoying!

The suction/blowing effect is so powerful that I can see how 1/8-1/4" can be a big factor & it makes sense now why a pos rake is necessary.
Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Ability
11-19-2004, 01:33 AM
"a positive rake of 1/8"

Please forgive my ignorance.

What exactly is a rake?

And what is positive vs. negative?

Thanks

work_it
11-19-2004, 01:50 AM
"a positive rake of 1/8"
What exactly is a rake?
Thanks

The rake is the angle of the blade (in this case). A positive rake is when the blade is positioned so it's pointing toward the front of the deck and the front tip/end of the blade is lower than the back tip of the blade. Just the opposite for a negative rake; the back tip is lower than the front tip.

PLM-1
11-19-2004, 01:52 AM
"a positive rake of 1/8"

What exactly is a rake?

Thanks

Rake is an incline from perpendicular. On mower decks (propeller blades and ship masts are different of course) positive is the rear lifted and negative is the rear lowered. hope this helps

Ability
11-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks Work It and Joplin.....that helps ALOT!!!!!

I have been playing with my deck adjustments for months now and everything said in this thread helps alot.

bettergrass
12-03-2004, 10:27 PM
ability.....what worked best for you could you share what had the best results