PDA

View Full Version : Exmark ztr + walkers and Curbs....Advice help!

SouthernYankee
11-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I was at a huge commerical job the other day that I will pick up as an account this summer and I was wondering how a exmark hp ztr will do "jumping a curb" to get to and island to cut grass in a parking lot.

I noticed a lot of walkers on trailers today and their website claimed that they can get over curbs easily, so that made me think of the exmark that I am thinking of buying and wondering if it will do that too. ADVICE Please!

Envy Lawn Service
11-17-2004, 10:52 PM
The Lazer Z HP crosses curbs OK. Certainly better than the machines with smaller tires. You just have to be careful not to push the front castor tires off the rims and try not to 'belly out' on the higher ones.

Funny thing is, I thought the exact opposite. When I looked at Walker at GIE I wondered how the heck you even cross curbs with them.

SouthernYankee
11-17-2004, 11:00 PM
I was mainly concerned about islands that dont have a ramp for wheelchairs and I thought that the exmark would bottom out or get caught up on the curb. Does it beat it to get over curbs? thanks SY

Sam-Ohio
11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
The best way to climb a curb with a regular "Z" is to flip around and back the large rear tires up over the curb first. It's best to hit it at a bit of an angle , not exactlly straight on at it., then just pull the front caster wheels up and over last. If you try to hit the curb going foreward, the smaller front tires really take a hard blow when they hit a curb that is as tall as these wheels are.

I don't know how you can get a Walker to jump a tall curb. Maybe the new ones have more clarance under the frame. The Walkers I'm familiar with used to be difficult to even load up on a trailer , much less jump over curbing.

The problems we saw on an older Walker was that the frame under the engine was so low that the thing would get high centered at the top of the ramp going into the trailer.

grass-scapes
11-18-2004, 07:01 PM
The best way to climb a curb with a regular "Z" is to flip around and back the large rear tires up over the curb first. It's best to hit it at a bit of an angle , not exactlly straight on at it., then just pull the front caster wheels up and over last. If you try to hit the curb going foreward, the smaller front tires really take a hard blow when they hit a curb that is as tall as these wheels are.

I don't know how you can get a Walker to jump a tall curb. Maybe the new ones have more clarance under the frame. The Walkers I'm familiar with used to be difficult to even load up on a trailer , much less jump over curbing.

The problems we saw on an older Walker was that the frame under the engine was so low that the thing would get high centered at the top of the ramp going into the trailer.

Ive got a walker, and they are horrible on curbs. I have the curb hopper, and that helps for the normal curbs, but if it drops off at the back side (I.e. turf lower than curb) then I sometimes still drag. Walkers are very low to the ground.

Creative Lawn Care
11-18-2004, 07:44 PM
95% of the time you cannot climb a curb with my walker, I have to use the curb hopper. I also have a exmark 48 HP and it goes over curbs fine. Seems to be easiest on the machine and front wheels if you back up over the curb.

wissel_landscaping
11-18-2004, 08:40 PM
I had my walkers for over 6 years and i never had to use a curb hopper i never came across a curb i couldnt hop just back up on a angle get one tire on the curb then swing the other rear tire up and back straight up i can do it with the stander, the cub tank, its easy.

grasswhacker
11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
How big are the islands? If they are small would it be better to use a 21" especially in a parking lot where people and cars would be?

ALarsh
11-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Theres info about this subject here: http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=86882