PDA

View Full Version : grass and weeds in bushes and liriope

jbell113
11-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Just wondering if any of you know how to kill grass and weeds growing in monkey grass or bushes besides pulling it out by hand. Im just a mower guy and dont do any chemicals and its for my own property so liscense is not an issue here. Went to my local nursery and they recommended a product called OVER the TOP have any of you used this?

ThreeWide
11-18-2004, 07:27 AM
The most important thing you should know is exactly what weed you are trying to remove. Then you can use the info below and choose the right product. Always read the label to ensure you are purchasing the right herbicide.

This is most likely what you have tried:

Fluazifop (Fusilade): (+)-2-[4-[[5-(trifluoromethyl)-2-pyridinyl]oxy]phenoxy] propanoic acid

Sold as:
* Fertilome Over-The-Top Weed and Grass Killer
* Ortho Grass-B-Gon Grass Killer

Fusilade will suppress grassy type weeds, including Bermuda, in your ornamentals.

Your other choice is Image. I know this is sold at Home Depot.

Summer Weeds Controlled by Image
Field Sandspur Perennial Ryegrass (over-seeded) Globe Sedge
Green Kyllinga Rice Flatsedge Purple Nutsedge Yellow Nutsedge

Image will aid in the control of and reduce competition from:
Dollarweed Tall Fescue Violets
Crabgrass Annual Sedge Virginia Buttonweed

Winter Weeds Controlled by Image

Applications should be timed to follow the first frost. Image may be applied prior to or soon after emergence of the weeds listed below, with the exception of wild onion and wild garlic, which must be emerged at application time for control.

Black Medic Buttercup
Common Chickweed Mouseear Chickweed Cutleaf Evening Primrose
Carolina Geranium Dovetail Geranium Hairy Bittercress
Henbit Knawel Lawn Burweed
Parsley-piert Purple Deadnettle Red Sorrel
White Clover Wild Garlic Wild Onion

jbell113
11-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the in depth reply best info I got outta anyone here.

trying 2b organic
11-18-2004, 05:28 PM
I have a similar prob and was wondering if the same solution would apply. A huge steep bank of cotoneaster horizontalis with grass (different types of weedy grass) growing through it. ty I hope the mentioned products are available in Canada, so often they arent.