PDA

View Full Version : DR leaf machine

jeffv
11-18-2004, 11:05 AM
This is for anyone that has purchased a DR leaf machine. I have been looking at the DR and Cyclone rake and have determined I would like to go with the DR because of the chipper option and the way the sides are made. I see a few here said they have or are going to purchase the DR. How well does it mulch? How well does the chipper work? how much power does the extension hose have? Looking forward to your replies.

chevyman1
11-18-2004, 11:29 AM
what are you going to hook it up to, what type of mower? if it's a zero turn, you can't buy it, they won't sell it to you and it voids the warranty because it jacknifes. Plus the DR field reports say is has a tendency to tip over.

jeffv
11-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Sorry, John deere LX172 riding tractor.

chevyman1
11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
ok well you can hook it to that for sure...they are both good machines, but the chipper option for small use would be cool

spenfire
11-18-2004, 03:46 PM
In regards to the DR Lawn and Leaf Vac. I purchased one at the beginning of October and like it very much when it is not broken. Already the tube that exits the mulcher has a hole in it from something hard hitting it and the flange that the intake hose attaches to on the side of the mulcher pretty much broke in half and all I am doing is the normal leaf clean up. (Those would be the "con's" to the unit) The model I bought does not pivot like a trailer. It attaches do the back of my tractor with two pins. (Now for the pro's) The 5.5 hp B&S engine is plenty powerful and it is easy to clean because of the hopper being made out of plastic. When I purchased it, I did not get the chipper because I really do not have a need for it. It seems that it would just eat up to much time.

chevyman1
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
wow that is pathetic. The Cyclone comes with a 6.0 HP motor, and I upgraded to puncture proof hoses....they are unreal. no pulling off the units, no holes or anything. Plus it holds more than the DR.....I have yet (wood knocking here) to have one problem at all, it even worked in the rain

jeffv
11-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Maybe I'll consider the Cyclone Rake after all.

gogetter
11-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Just something to think about....if you're leaning toward the DR because of the chipper feature, I would suggest trying to get a demo somehow (not sure if that's possible with DR?).

If their chipper is anything like the little home owner chipper I borrowed from my father-in-law, you'll be greatly disappointed!
The one I borrowed was a 5hp and was supposed to be able to handle branches up to 3" in diameter. Yeah right! Not a chance. It would barely take 1" branches and it beats up your hands from violent vibrating while feeding it.
Plus it clogs and is slooooow!

Granted his wasn't a DR, but I can't imagine this style of chipper being much different from one to the next. Same basic design.

I just wouldn't weigh my decision on that feature too much.

macaw
11-19-2004, 08:20 AM
I have had my Cyclone rake for 6 years the only problems I have had is the canvas the zipper kept braking since then they have upgraded it no more zippers just Velcro and buckles and it folds down flat makes for easy loading.

brentsawyer
11-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Cyclone rake is pretty unbeatable when it comes to durability. On 3third year of mine, had replace broken caster wheel, that's it, I even store it outside. Also considering taking off the bagger and leaving the frame on in the spring and building a box and using it to haul mulch, should be able to build it up enough to transport 1 cu. at a time. Huge timesaver on commercial jobs.

Runner
11-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Also considering taking off the bagger and leaving the frame on in the spring and building a box and using it to haul mulch, should be able to build it up enough to transport 1 cu. at a time. Huge timesaver on commercial jobs.

Oh, I would certainly agree. I don't think it have any trouble hauling a yd. of mulch. It's funny,..they even mention that in their ad about being able to use the cart as a trailer for other uses. This is where the heavy duty double wide caster would really shine, too.

chevyman1
11-19-2004, 11:04 AM
I bought the double casters, i upgraded every option to the best, and it was totally worth the money. Those tires are monsters and float, not dig into the ground at all

brentsawyer
11-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Was thinking some more on this. I want to have at lease a 4x8 flatbed on it where I can put the flatbed forward where the engine sits. This way, I can still use the dump function and not take up anymore room on the trailer. With a a 4x8, I'll have one yard at less than 12" height.

J Hageman
11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
I have a DR 6Hp Preier and like very well. I have not had any break downs with it.

jeffv
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
I have a DR 6Hp Preier and like very well. I have not had any break downs with it.

J Hageman, how well does the chipper work? Do you have the extension hose? If so how much vac does it have?

J Hageman
11-20-2004, 07:39 AM
I have used the chipper and like it. It is good for small jobs and clean-up. I would get a larger machine for large jobs. I did not get the extension hose. But made my own. I used a 6" X 4" reducer and 4" hose witch workes very well.

jeffv
11-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. Good idea for the extension hose, a real money saver.

jeffv
11-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Well I ordered a DR leaf machine today, the 7hp model. Expected delivery is sometime in Jan 05. Because they are back ordered they are extending the 6 month trial period until Oct 05. Looking forward to using it and giving everyone a review of the unit and some pics. Also would like to thank everyone for there input.

jeffv
11-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Where did you get the 4" hose??

J Hageman
11-22-2004, 09:51 AM
I got My supplies from Grizzly Industrial. I am using dust collection accessories. Their email is grizzy.com

jeffv
11-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks, just ordered the catalog.

Tri Village Lc
11-22-2004, 06:37 PM
can anyone tell me if the cyclone rake as any good behind a zero turn. I have a lazer 52'' and 60'' I was thinking of trying it out. Any info would help

macaw
11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
The way they hook to a mower is a dual hitch the wheels under it turn like your caster wheels so it won't jackknife. Look on there web site www.cyclonerake.com

cjgolftru
12-17-2004, 04:13 PM
A friend of mine has one of these units and they have a very difficult time with the dumping aspect..... when we go to dump a full load the entire thing tips over and you are stuck there. How do you guys deal with that problem.

jeffv
12-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Do you which model they have? And what is causing it to tip over??

cjgolftru
12-21-2004, 01:39 PM
They have the 5.5 horsepower model. And the problem is dumping a full load of leaves. #1 it is very heavy to lift and once you do get it going into the spot where you want to dump the whole cart dumps and ends up completely 90* and you can't then lift it back up to get the debris out.

jeffv
12-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Spenfire, can you comment on this??