PDA

View Full Version : US Lawns

MowforMoney
11-18-2004, 01:16 PM
live in Indianapolis, And I just saw a US Lawns truck today for the first time. What exactly are they. How do they work, are they all owned separately or is it under one big company. Also kinda curious how they operate. Do they work for pennys? I have heard, don't know how true it is that some of the bigger companies will do work really cheap. Any truth to this? Just to add I have nothing against them, Just curious to who they are.

lsylvain
11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing U.S. Lawn stuff in my mail as a franchise deal. I am certain charge a little as possible to make as much as possible. The wal-mart concept.

out4now
11-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Browse old threads. They are part of Valley Crest. Huge company. The smaller franchise idea targets commercial properties. Eventually they may move into residential. Think of them as the Starbucks of lawncare. So far they don't seem to be doing very well from what I've read. There are a few other companies looking into franchising and eventually someone will come up with a formula that works reasonanbly well.

lawncat
11-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Yep-if you are doing primarily residential--pay mind to what you are doing and pay no mind to US LAwns--they are not into residential stuff at this time around here and they primarily seem to do national chain stuff--not really desireable stuff to begin with.

desert rose gardening
11-19-2004, 12:44 AM
I see here in the October issue of 2004 Lawn & Landscape, U.S. Lawns is In the top 100 landscape compaines, and they are listed at 14th with $51,000,000 from 2003 revenue. They also employ 1100 yearound and 300 seasonal. Some day my company will be that big too. Right!

out4now
11-19-2004, 12:49 AM
I see here in the October issue of 2004 Lawn & Landscape, U.S. Lawns is In the top 100 landscape compaines, and they are listed at 14th with $51,000,000 from 2003 revenue. They also employ 1100 yearound and 300 seasonal. Some day my company will be that big too. Right!
This is interesting, this is the first time I've heard of anything good written about them. Most people post that the guys they see start come and go. I stand corrected. Can you look at the back issues on the net?

HOOLIE
11-19-2004, 01:31 AM
I saw one of their franchises a couple years ago operating out of a storage facility. Now I've seen one with a small brick building and fenced in yard. Don't know if they moved or if its 2 different franchises. Either way they're not too big around here. I've seen their trucks around a few times, but never actually seen them on a job.

kppurn
11-19-2004, 01:36 AM
U.S. Lawns maintains the common grounds for a neighborhood I have a number of accounts in. I see them there every Friday. This is the first year I have seen them around here. I'm not sure if this is the first year for the franchise here or not. They seem to do pretty good work from what I have seen.

stevo22
11-19-2004, 06:45 AM
a friend of mine owns a franchise and loves it...he started out w/ about 60+ residentials and was approaches by uslawns...he thought about it for a while and took the plunge...i think it worked well for him b/c him and his father in law did the co together before he bought into the franchise...his father in law kept the resi's going...he gets $$$ from us lawns and the residentials...

kipcom
11-19-2004, 08:03 AM
KP & MOWmoney.....dont let your guard down. There are a few large "lowballer" companies lurking in the Indianapolis area. They are on the principle of CHEAP labor & LOW price gets the customer. Quality & Customer service are NOT even in their vocabulary ( let alone their language ). I have sent out to my customers information about how they might be approached by one of the LC companys. BTW....if they find someone else to do the work for les money,,,,,Yep...they will pull the contracts from you. Make sure if you do business with one of these companys that "your" contract protects your interests....not theirs.

lawncat
11-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Very true--be sure your contracts are ironclad! We too have noted in the Indpls area the larger companies using the lowball tactics to move the small guys out! Do your best quality and communicate with your clients real regular so you can stay on top of things!