PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Diesel

Ursushorribilus
11-18-2004, 05:59 PM
My local Exmark dealer offered my a 27 hp Lazer XP diesel with 60' deck that he was selling for $15,000, now down to $12,000. What do you think? I was going to stick with Kubota because I just bought the L48, and get the ZD 28, which my local Kubota dealer will sell me for $12,000, so for the same money, which diesel should I get?

Travis Followell
11-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Go with the Kubota so you can get a relationship built with your local dealer because you will need him sometime down the road for parts and/or service for your L 48 Kubota. The Kubota engine will probibly run more hours than the Diahtsu engine.

GreenMonster
11-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Tony,

Whereas you're starting up, and you don't even know what you will have for acccunts next year, I'd be cautious about buying something that big. That's also a lot of money for one mower. That much bling would buy a nice mid-mount and a solid w/b.

farmered
11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
I demoed an Exmark XP in a 72" deck (27 HP B&S Dahaitsu) in 3-5" grass as well as the 72" Kubota ZD28 Pro Deck. I think I liked the way the Kubota cut better than the exmark. I also demoed an Exmark XS 31 HP gas engine 72" deck. All 3 machines cut pretty close together - i.e. I cannot tell the different between the 3 machines in terms of quality of cut. The ride seemed better on the Kubota. The prices I've been quoted for 27 HP Exmark Diesel 72" were 12,100, Kubota ZD28 about 11,000, Exmark 31 HP Gasoline 72" 9700. I don't understand why everyone is so gung-ho on the Exmarks like they are made of gold. The kubota has a hydraulic deck life and drive shaft to the dack both + and -. Exmark is foot operated deck - less conventient + belts. I still haven't chosen one but get this, I am leaning either towards a gravely 272Z 72" 31 HP diesel OR a Ventract 4200VX (this thing really kicks ass + the attachements).

ealbertson
12-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Farmered, who is your dealer and where are they located?

ealbertson
12-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Farmered, I can't find anything about a 31 HP eXmark. Do you know if there is anywhere on their site that shows it?

Thanks, Ed

bettergrass
12-11-2004, 11:16 PM
my cousin has a kubota and its a great machine. his is a 72 and i was cutting some thick long grass....didnt bog down once. one strong machine. i dont know anything about the exmarks but i can tell you the kubota is sweet

brentsawyer
12-11-2004, 11:26 PM
I would only consider buying a diesel mower if I had someone on it 50+ hours per week 30 weeks per year or 1500hours per year. Then I would get rid of it on the third season. If you don't use a diesel to its full extent, your paying extra for an engine that will far outlast any mower and to me that is wasted money. I also believe the same about LC engines, more maintenance, more money, more engine life than necessary. I now stick with air cooled engines and get rid of them every couple years so I don't have any headaches.

Envy Lawn Service
12-12-2004, 12:49 AM
I don't think I'd discourage anyone from buying a diesel powered mower. Yeah, the initial investment is a bit more. But in the long run I think they are more cost effective and better suited for COMMERCIAL use. They like hard work, hot temps and long hours.

As far as which mower, I dunno. I finally saw my first diesel eXmark at GIE. Pretty impressive. But so is the Kubota. I have a whole list of +/- about both mowers. But in the end it's about equal. The big thing that pops into my mind about these two is that the Kubota engine is PROVEN.

Other than that, I will opt-out on this one and say I think I like the 322D & 428D mid-mount Grasshoppers better than both of them.

farmered
12-12-2004, 07:01 PM
ealbertson,

I was referring to the new Exmark XS 72" 31 HP gasoline model. Go to the exmark forum on this site. Someone posted a link to this new model.

farmered
12-12-2004, 07:02 PM
ealbertson,

I am in Northern Virginia. I visited a bunch of dealers in northern VA and in Maryland too.

WREBELMACHINE
12-12-2004, 09:43 PM
The Briggs Dihatsu engine is a proven engine as well! It has been used several years by Scag, toro, Exmark, Encore and I have one on a Yazoo! I have been very pleased with the performance of the Dihatsu! I think that if I had too choose between the Kubota and the Exmark I would go Exmark just because of I beleve it would have a little more speed and I am more comfortable with the pump wheel motor system over the Hydrostats used by kubota. I would also recommend you to look at some of the other diesel powered machines out there.

Travis Followell
12-13-2004, 06:10 AM
Check out the Dixie's with a 50 hp Yanmar turbo diesel and the Ferris's with a 31.5 hp cat diesel with 4 wheel independent suspension. Bad Boy also has a 28 hp cat available on their mowers.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
You know, I was brushing over some specs since posting on this thread, and now I'm even more in favor of the Grasshopper and Gravely diesels. The reason being is that I have found they weigh about 400 lbs less than the others.