PDA

View Full Version : Giant Vac 10HP B&S Junk

smcguirt
11-18-2004, 08:40 PM
I just bought a 10HP Giant Vac last week. I really wanted the Little Wonder and hopefully after tomorrow I will have what I went to buy in the first place. Here is the story. Went to local dealer where I have bought mowers, parts, etc. and he says he will sell me the Giant Vac for 800$, LW with 9HP honda is about 1100$ here in GA but he doesn't sell them. He gives a big speech about the impellers on the LW are a pain to get off and the giant vac has easy off impeller, it comes with front swivel wheel, and never flat tires. So I needed the blower the price was right and I bought it. Now I am still part time and the blower will not get full time use so I thought I should be ok. So I get the blower home and I go to pull and I am thinking damn this thing is tight/hard to pull. I don't know maybe the Briggs are like that but it doesn't feel normal, my 15HP on my exmark is a breeze to pull. I get it started run around the yard some shut it off, that was use number one. I unloaded the blower to cleanup leaves in two yards that I do that are side by side. Pull start is still very tight, seems abnormal, but the blower performs ok, I guess. I unload the blower today and start blowing off a yard full of leaves, I went to change the direction of output from side to foward and the arm that controls direction just breaks off where the arm goes through the chute at the bottom. UNBELIEVEABLE!! I have only used the blower three times. I have already considered taking the blower back before this happened because of being so hard to pull, and this just confirmed it. I would have taken it back today but I was on the other side of town and couldn't afford to stop. Anybody else have Giant Vac Blower horror stories?

Thanks,
Shawn
PROScapes Lawn Care
Dallas GA

Green Care
11-18-2004, 08:46 PM
No I have a LW but it have a briggs on it and being hard to pull is normal.

Lux Lawn
11-18-2004, 08:53 PM
I could never keep a trottle cable on mine and the spring that goes to the throttle was broken this year but other then that starts right up and runs fine.
Mine is an 8hp and I have an 11hp LW that is very hard to start never pulled it out this year not even sure if it will start Had a problem at the end of last year and put it away and there she sits.

J Hisch
11-18-2004, 09:14 PM
I have giant Vac products. 30 Hp tow behind leaf vac, the most rugged piece of equipment I own. maybe the blower slid around on the trailer or something? But anyway I have spend 35,000 for new truck before and have something break on me. It just happens.

gogetter
11-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Someone more mechanical can probably explain it better then me, but they are all going to be hard to pull start because it's directly linked to the impeller. When you pull, you are rotating the impeller too.
Unlike a mower where you start the engine, then engage the blades.

Richard Martin
11-19-2004, 03:26 AM
gogetter hit the nail right on the head. Machines like leaf blowers and chipper vacs have a lot of weight that you need to turn over since the impellers are mounted directly to the shaft of the engine. When you are trying to start the engine it helps to pull them with a steady movement instead of yanking it like you would with a mower engine. You can also put 10w30 in that Briggs engine and that will help a bunch in cooler weather. Sorry but I can't help you out with the junkyness of the Giant Vac, you should have spent a little more money and bought the Little Wonder.