PDA

View Full Version : 05' Ford Verse GM Diesel

selnoil
11-18-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm looking to buy a new 05' diesel. I'm a ford guy but my local dealer said they are having problems with the diesel engines. I'm very excited that Ford went back to the solid front axle (great move!!!). I can get a 250HD 8' bed extended cab 4x4 and its GVW is 10,000 SRW with towing 12,500 (15,600 5th wheel), thats awsome!!!! Step up to the 350 and the GVW is 11,200 SRW (single rear wheel). Those are incredible #'s!! Fords new integrated trailer brake control sounds pretty cool also :cool2:.

The Duramax is an awesome motor but GM is about 10k more :cry: . I have one in my GMC 4500, nice truck. This new ride will be mine not for the boys :) .

Has anyone had or heard about Ford diesel problems? I've had no problems with my 96' ford power stroke.

Mike

MudslinginFX4
11-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Selnoil, I just purchased a new 2005 f250 diesel lariat fx4 about 3 weeks ago. I love everything about the truck! Going from a f150 to a f250 makes every difference in the world pulling a trailer. I got every option on the truck that they come with but the sunroof. Here is a site that I found that talks about the ford diesel and the problems that occur (if any) http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/ . It looks like most of the problems were back in 2003. I will post pics sometime of mine when i get a chance.

i_plant_art
11-18-2004, 10:56 PM
ive got an 2001 f350 super duty dooley ext. cab 4x4 with the 7.3 turbo powerstroke in it.... i love the thing.. tows anything i need it to with no problems.... i had some warrenty work being done to the truck itself ( not the engine) and borrowed a firend of mines 6.0 dooley to haul one day with.... let me tell you... what a huge difference the 6.0 was in his, it would run circles around my 7.3. i can guarentee i would get a 6.0 for my next truck. another friend of mine has a chevy dooley with the durajap engine and the allison( oh so feminine)sp?? transmissopn in it . He pulls a 32' gooseneck horse trailer .... oh man what a slow piece of junk... it takes forever to get up to speed in that thing compared to the powerstrokes ... we always give him a hard time bout it..... just my .02 and my experiences

UNISCAPER
11-18-2004, 11:00 PM
My 04 3500 Chevy Duramax/allison was a full $7,000.00 less than a comparable F-350 Ford, plus I know I am not playing Russian Roulette with the transmission. The engine is smoother, and has more power than the Ford, the driveshaft is a full 6" in diamter with class 6 truck U-joints.

I am so turned off from Fords former transmission choices I am going to wait another year before I will consider one again. I am very curious to see reports from snow plowers and from transmission shop owners after 4 or 5 seasons on the trannies, not owners who are either pro Ford, or pro Chevy...

One of my concrete pumper subs had an 03 F-350 he wasted 4 trannies in, and lemon lawed the truck to buy a Chevy. He has 94,000 miles on the 03 Chevy and it has never had a problem.
Another person I know had an 04 Excursion with a 366 cubic inch diesel and the Torqeshift in it...He owns a transimssion shop. He lemon lawed that vehicle and bought a chevy.
Then I hear from others who, have not had any issues at all. As I said before, I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Ford tranny. Thus far I have 16,000 miles on the duramax and no probelms at all. I had to drive to LA a while back and put 27 gallons of fuel in and went 483 miles before having to stop. I will admit, this was the highest milage I got, and I do not run the highway for that long a run alot. With what we have to pay for any brand of truck, the manufacturer owes us a truck that will run 200,000 miles with no engine/tranny/driveline issues. I'm not holding my breathe for that one.

Tevi
11-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Ford always had a solid front axle what the did was go yo a coil suspension instead of leaf spring.The problems with the 6.0 were in the beginning of introduction in 04.Chevy sells about 140k diesel pickups and Ford sells over 300k.Compare the specs and a Ford is so far superior.I've got a 99 Ford with 218k mile and I've got a 2000 GMC with 60k.The Ford has held up a lot better than the GMC.I'm not talking major things just the quality of mayerials and workmanship.

selnoil
11-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Tevi, I think you are wrong! My 96' f250 w/ diesel has the crumby scissor front suspension, now on the other hand the 350 has always had the solid axle.

I'm hoping to get more feed back about the 04' & 05' diesel issues. I now all the Ford verse GM stuffbut need the diesel and transmission feedback.

Mike

Tevi
11-19-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm sorry it was the F350 had the straight axle.Check www.thedieselstop.com

Smalltimer1
11-19-2004, 11:36 AM
My 04 3500 Chevy Duramax/allison was a full $7,000.00 less than a comparable F-350 Ford, plus I know I am not playing Russian Roulette with the transmission. The engine is smoother, and has more power than the Ford, the driveshaft is a full 6" in diamter with class 6 truck U-joints.

I am so turned off from Fords former transmission choices I am going to wait another year before I will consider one again. I am very curious to see reports from snow plowers and from transmission shop owners after 4 or 5 seasons on the trannies, not owners who are either pro Ford, or pro Chevy...

One of my concrete pumper subs had an 03 F-350 he wasted 4 trannies in, and lemon lawed the truck to buy a Chevy. He has 94,000 miles on the 03 Chevy and it has never had a problem.
Another person I know had an 04 Excursion with a 366 cubic inch diesel and the Torqeshift in it...He owns a transimssion shop. He lemon lawed that vehicle and bought a chevy.
Then I hear from others who, have not had any issues at all. As I said before, I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Ford tranny. Thus far I have 16,000 miles on the duramax and no probelms at all. I had to drive to LA a while back and put 27 gallons of fuel in and went 483 miles before having to stop. I will admit, this was the highest milage I got, and I do not run the highway for that long a run alot. With what we have to pay for any brand of truck, the manufacturer owes us a truck that will run 200,000 miles with no engine/tranny/driveline issues. I'm not holding my breathe for that one.

You still haven't considered the Torqshift. It does not have the solenoid problems the Allisons have.

Smalltimer1
11-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Tevi, I think you are wrong! My 96' f250 w/ diesel has the crumby scissor front suspension, now on the other hand the 350 has always had the solid axle.

I'm hoping to get more feed back about the 04' & 05' diesel issues. I now all the Ford verse GM stuffbut need the diesel and transmission feedback.

Mike

If you have a post-Nov. '03 Engine you will be fine. The early ones had some programming issues and those were taken care of.

The transmissions have been solved. The Torqshift is the best there is on the market. The Ford is more efficient on the driveline than GM or Dodge. Thats why the PSD/TS combo outperforms the more powerful Duracrap and Crummins. The new Ford F-350 Tow Boss can pull 19,200lbs. Compared to 16,800 for Chevy. Ford has higher payload of 5800lbs. compared to 5400 for Chevy and 5200 for Dodge. The Ford also has a stouter frame.

Tevi
11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Duramax also has an injector problem and when they fail there is a 2 week national backorder minimum

selnoil
11-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks smalltimer thats the info I'm looking for!! My local Ford dealer has had serveral trucks with injector problems and thats what promted my inquiry. I asked if he had been checking into the fuel they are using but he said he hadn't. I have my own tank here which we run only LS diesel. I'm thinking the guys that are having trouble with injectors may be cheating and running #2 heating oil instead.

Mike

Lucky1
11-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Check out Motor Trend magazine, they tested duramax 04, powerstroke 04.The powerstroke performed better in all classes. The powestroke tows far better than the duramax, the duramax chevy rides a little better empty, the ford rides better with weight. Motor Trend concluded the powerstroke by far the best. I personally tried both and found the ford to be awsome, needless to say I bought the powerstroke.

UNISCAPER
11-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Sulfer potent off road fuel runs best in all diesels. But, don't get caught on the road with it!

Scag48
11-20-2004, 03:17 AM
Man, Ford has the best engine out there. If only they could couple it with say, an Allison tranny, they'd have it made. Heaviest frame, baddest engine, and a tranny that is bulletproof you'd have the ultimate truck. No complaints toward our 7.3 but I'm hearing that new 6.0's are heavier on power. We have 125K on our '99 350 and will run it 'til it dies. Our Ford dealer tried to tell us the tranny/torque converter was going out, probably looking for work, because that was 5K miles ago and about 5 loads of 25K pounds we towed and no problems yet. I like GMC's and such, they are great looking trucks and I drive one myself to tow on my mowing route but I have access to an F-350 whenever I need to tow something over 6K pounds.

Smalltimer1
11-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Man, Ford has the best engine out there. If only they could couple it with say, an Allison tranny, they'd have it made. Heaviest frame, baddest engine, and a tranny that is bulletproof you'd have the ultimate truck. No complaints toward our 7.3 but I'm hearing that new 6.0's are heavier on power. We have 125K on our '99 350 and will run it 'til it dies. Our Ford dealer tried to tell us the tranny/torque converter was going out, probably looking for work, because that was 5K miles ago and about 5 loads of 25K pounds we towed and no problems yet. I like GMC's and such, they are great looking trucks and I drive one myself to tow on my mowing route but I have access to an F-350 whenever I need to tow something over 6K pounds.

Thats where the Torqshift shines......it comes through where the Allison fails. The Torqshift has a higher input rating than the Allison.

dcondon
11-20-2004, 09:49 AM
I would say go with the FORD............... Our dealer said that everything has been taken care of :cool2:

UNISCAPER
11-20-2004, 11:55 AM
I wish magazines would rate trucks after 5 years of service, not when brand new. Motor Trend was the same magazine that gave Dodgew truck of the year in 94 and 95. Arguably, they have the worst tranny in the market, and ate brakes along with GM because they use the same system.

I chose a GM product because, I was not going to guess with weather Ford got it right with the tranny this time. Time will tell. It was the same reason why we went with Ford diesels when Gm had the .57, 6.2, and 6.5 models...Junk turned into junk. GM also had terrible brakes.

I too wish you could mix and match components with pick up trucks. All three deisel engine makers are now fine. That leaves trannies to prove themselves. And frankly, I get sick of dropping 3K on a tranny every time turn around because some idiot engineer at a car company can't get it right.

As I said before, time is the only thing that will prove your trucks. And, all I can go off of now is the past performaces from products that had been used, not some new design, because I went that route once and it screwed me.

selnoil
11-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys, great input!! Keep it coming!!

Mike

UNISCAPER
11-21-2004, 01:12 AM
As of 4 PM Pacific time, we lost yet another fine piece of Ford engineering. Backed the truck and trailer up to drop the trailer, unhook the ball, put the truck in drive, BLAMMY...Oil everywhere, holes through the tranny pan.

Truck is an F-450, 444 cubic inch powerstroke, 30,000 miles. I surely hope they got it right on the Torqueshift. At least this one Ford gets to eat. I still had to wait 2 hours for Ford roadside assitance and sit there until they came. Now the issue comes with the dealer. I feel they should give me another dump truck until this one is fixed. I'm betting they don't. I told the service department I would accept the new GT until the truck is done...I'm due for a 200 mph vacation....

RedWingsDet
11-21-2004, 03:50 AM
I would say go with the FORD............... Our dealer said that everything has been taken care of :cool2:

not to be a d!ckhead but, of course the dealer would, hes trying to make a sale, he wouldnt tell you the bad things if he was trying to sell something to you..

now, the stuff is probably fixed, but still some dealers lie, and alot of people dont realise that until after the sign there names away.

stexasrookie
11-21-2004, 08:14 AM
The problem with the '03 Fords has been solved, only about 60,000 of them were sold with the problems. Lets allsen a nice big thankyou letter to Ford for using Texans as a test bed for new products, cause that is what they do. I have a 6.0l PSD that i bought soon after they noticed the programming errors with 130k miles that has been well used and abused. On the other hand I also have a 7.3l with over 300k on it that needs a third transmission.... and that was all before I bought the big travel trailer.

Tevi
11-21-2004, 08:51 AM
For a tranny try www.brianstruckshop.com I've got one and it's unbeleiveable.Garrantees it fro 2 years unlimited mileage and begs you to try to break it

thepawnshop
11-21-2004, 10:36 AM
For a tranny try www.brianstruckshop.com I've got one and it's unbeleiveable.Garrantees it fro 2 years unlimited mileage and begs you to try to break it

That link only gave me a search page...Did I do something wrong?

UNISCAPER
11-21-2004, 10:50 AM
If they made them right to begin with, these issues would not even be discussed.

Tevi
11-21-2004, 11:00 AM
That link only gave me a search page...Did I do something wrong?
I don't know whats up with it.Try calling 870-436-ford at 9am est

selnoil
11-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Premier, I agree!! However I started this Thread because my local dealer said Ford had an issue, so they are not all bad.

Sounds like (from the replies) that Ford may have fixed the diesel/tranny problems for the 04' & 05' trucks. I hope so since thats what I would really like to get. I'm real excited to give the intergrated brake control system a try. They've mounted the control in the dash and it works we the anti-lock brake system.

Mike

Smalltimer1
11-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Premier, I agree!! However I started this Thread because my local dealer said Ford had an issue, so they are not all bad.

Sounds like (from the replies) that Ford may have fixed the diesel/tranny problems for the 04' & 05' trucks. I hope so since thats what I would really like to get. I'm real excited to give the intergrated brake control system a try. They've mounted the control in the dash and it works we the anti-lock brake system.

Mike

NONE of those people above have driven a Torqshift equipped truck. It is right, its not a E40D or 4R100 like some on here would like you to believe.

The Torqshift is the best one out right now and is better than the Allisons which have shift solenoid problems.

dcondon
11-21-2004, 07:49 PM
not to be a d!ckhead but, of course the dealer would, hes trying to make a sale, he wouldnt tell you the bad things if he was trying to sell something to you..

now, the stuff is probably fixed, but still some dealers lie, and alot of people dont realise that until after the sign there names away.

Well, we have a 2002 P/S. with 71'000 miles on it. Not hardly anything wrong with it. The part about the dealer......... I'm personely a friend with him and I beleive what he says.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

selnoil
11-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Smalltimer, is the torqshift an option or is it on all the new Ford diesels. I've got a 96' PS in my F250 and have basically no problem with it (132k on it). Just want to upgrade since the old scissor front end is getting tired and needs a bunch of $$ sunk into it. :cry:

I'm very happy the 05' 250 has a solid front axle now. With Ford's boosted GVW's I can get a 250 HD with 10,000 gvw verse my 96' that has 8,900 gvw. Its an extended cab long bed with the PS and an 8'6" fisher plow and e-z dumer insert. So far it has not failed me but its time to upgrade. I'm not in a hurry so if they need to work out some bugs I'll wait until the 06's have come out.

Mike :waving:

Smalltimer1
11-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Smalltimer, is the torqshift an option or is it on all the new Ford diesels. I've got a 96' PS in my F250 and have basically no problem with it (132k on it). Just want to upgrade since the old scissor front end is getting tired and needs a bunch of $$ sunk into it. :cry:

I'm very happy the 05' 250 has a solid front axle now. With Ford's boosted GVW's I can get a 250 HD with 10,000 gvw verse my 96' that has 8,900 gvw. Its an extended cab long bed with the PS and an 8'6" fisher plow and e-z dumer insert. So far it has not failed me but its time to upgrade. I'm not in a hurry so if they need to work out some bugs I'll wait until the 06's have come out.

The Torqshift is a $1490 option. Standard is the ZF-6 manual. Your 96 would benefit from a steering stabilizer. That would help it keep in line. A good alignment and camber job on that 96 would cost about $150, well, thats what it cost to do mine last year. The F-250's have had solid axles since 99. My '95 F-250 460 gasser has a gvw of 9400lbs.

RedWingsDet
11-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Well, we have a 2002 P/S. with 71'000 miles on it. Not hardly anything wrong with it. The part about the dealer......... I'm personely a friend with him and I beleive what he says.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh ya, i see what your saying, we all have situations where we know people. i didnt say EVERY dealer, just some that are desperate. I belive what the ones around here say, only because theres about 2 per sq 3mile, and competition is fierce so they want to be loyal and honest to their potential buyers.

but like i said, SOME dealers will scam and lie to you, and others will treat you like donald trump.

UNISCAPER
11-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Well, i stopped in at the truck division of where my 450 is sitting. Last week alone, they replaced 17 Torqueshift trannies. There are 4 sitting in the lot from the weekend. Years range from 04-05. Of those, 5 had chips and flowmasters. Those owners will be paying for the repair out of pocket. I gasped when they told me they were $4,600.00 repairs. From what I have seen Ford vs Chevy, Ford well out numbers Chevy on trashed trannies.

I only hope these were in that batch that had all the troubles. For now, I'm sticking to Chevy just from what I had seen.

Good luck on all your purchases, whatever they may be.

Scag48
11-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Well with what things are sounding like, seems like Chevy and Ford are both having troubles, assuming everyone here is telling the truth about what they heard/experienced. Seems like the only thing to do now is pick a brand and just hope to hell that it doesn't blow up.

olderthandirt
11-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Well with what things are sounding like, seems like Chevy and Ford are both having troubles, assuming everyone here is telling the truth about what they heard/experienced. Seems like the only thing to do now is pick a brand and just hope to hell that it doesn't blow up.
Same as its been since they invented trucks and cars :D

Mac

Smalltimer1
11-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Well, i stopped in at the truck division of where my 450 is sitting. Last week alone, they replaced 17 Torqueshift trannies. There are 4 sitting in the lot from the weekend. Years range from 04-05. Of those, 5 had chips and flowmasters. Those owners will be paying for the repair out of pocket. I gasped when they told me they were $4,600.00 repairs. From what I have seen Ford vs Chevy, Ford well out numbers Chevy on trashed trannies.

I only hope these were in that batch that had all the troubles. For now, I'm sticking to Chevy just from what I had seen.

Good luck on all your purchases, whatever they may be.

Stop the crap. If the TS was that bad we'd all know about it. The only person I've heard say anything bad about the TS is you. I spent over a month at a Ford dealer being summer help this past summer and NOT ONE TS came in bad.

Thats a heckuva a lot more than I can say for those Allison trannies. The farm trucks go through Allisons like a hot knife through butter. 5 to be exact.

Actually Chevy outnumbers Ford on bad trannies.

Remember the 700R4, TH250, 4L60E? All troublesome GM trannies, they couldn't build a decent one for a truck if they depended on it. The Allison is a better attempt for GM though.

Smalltimer1
11-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Ford really has only had 2 troublesome ones. The E40D and the 4R100. But remember thse were originally designed for gas powered trucks, not turbo diesels. The E40D itself is a C6 with OD and a computer. An E40D's planetaries will swap into a C6. It's actually a common C6 mod. The E40D's weakness is in the solenoids and the computer. A stock one gets easily confused on grades and mountains. But built, the E40D is great for hot-rodded trucks. There's trucks with over 1000lbs./tq. using E40D's and they are reliable. The 4R100 is a E40D with more cooling capacity and a few minor differences inside. It too was not meant for a diesel truck.

The reason that you never heard much of GM failures during the 90's is because their diesels never made enough power to tear one up until the Duramax. But step back into the 80's, the 700R4 was the most replaced truck transmission in existance. For the 90's it would have to be any Dodge truck tranny.

UNISCAPER
11-23-2004, 09:36 AM
The difference between what I am reading here, is the fact that I saw what I saw, and, spoke to the mechanics I had, and the pride and ego backing a product you believe in. Case in point, why does a Ford logo grace your posts? You love your truck. great. I have seen and had nothing but bad luck with Ford trannies. They needed to go back to the drawing board, and they did, and they are in the period where the bugs and quirks are comming out. There is nothing wrong at all with that. Some people are die hards on thier brands. I have no prefference. I choose what I do because of serious issues with another brands products.

I have heard of allison solendoids having problems. Not any more. This allison tranny was new in design 3 years ago. the problems are solved. Fords tranny just too new right now.

bcx400
11-23-2004, 05:52 PM
I am always amazed at how some people will defend their brand of truck as if it were their mother. I couldn't care less about the brand, but do care about the performance. Both GM, Ford, and especially Dodge, have had their share of problems over the years.

Smalltimer- you are a marketing managers dream come true. To have blind faith in any brand is what all companies want in their customers. Imagine if you really screwed up a job, but the customer still loved you anyway- just because!

pottstim
11-23-2004, 11:03 PM
In my family we've had plenty of GM trucks and vans with the 4L60-E and 700R4 and have never had a problem with either. All were bought new.
1986 chevy astro 58,000 miles....traded in 1990 700R4
1990 chevy astro 78,000 miles...traded in 1996 700R4
1996 chevy S-Blazer....currently a little over 95,000 miles 4L60E
2001 Silverado 46,000 miles
My 2004 Silverado... 5,000 miles, new truck but doing well so far

I've known several people that have owned Ford and Chrysler products. The Fords have generally been good. The Chryslers (especially 80's and 90's) were very troublesome with drivetrain and electrical problems.

Tevi
11-24-2004, 04:48 AM
As the old saying goes T-ts or tires sooner or later it's going to give you trouble.Let the numbers speak.Ford sells more trucks.When it comes to diesels Dodge sells 100k Gm 140k Ford 330k.

UNISCAPER
11-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Very true but if you look at the ratio within each brand sold, Ford still out numbers the amount of failed transmissions. Ford has had 32% of its transmissions fail. GM has had 22% of it's transmissions fail. Dodge has had 43% of its transmissions fail. Ford and dodge are still the worst two. I looked at that angle a few years ago as well.

Smalltimer1
11-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Smalltimer- you are a marketing managers dream come true. To have blind faith in any brand is what all companies want in their customers. Imagine if you really screwed up a job, but the customer still loved you anyway- just because!

It's not blind faith--its experience--when you've had to work on Chevy's all your life (I have since I was 10) you learn things--and being let down 7 times by a GM tranny has taught me a lot between the 700R4 in our Chevy Scottsdale and 4L60E in the Silverado and then the Allisons in the farm truck. Ooops, forgot the tranny our old S-10 puked as well at 90,000 miles. I've had 0 Ford tranny problems myself, between 4 E40D vehicles in my family, 2 C6 trucks, 3 AOD cars, only one has had any trouble, a A4LD in a '93 Explorer. I know everybody else has not had the same good fortune, but as long as they keep me rolling I'm happy.

BCX, imagine you're in school and your team has a bad season--would you be the one to start pulling for a winning team instead of your own?

Smalltimer1
11-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Very true but if you look at the ratio within each brand sold, Ford still out numbers the amount of failed transmissions. Ford has had 32% of its transmissions fail. GM has had 22% of it's transmissions fail. Dodge has had 43% of its transmissions fail. Ford and dodge are still the worst two. I looked at that angle a few years ago as well.

But at which point they fail is not identified--it could be at 10 miles, or it could be at 500,000 miles when they fail--that's something no one knows. So that could be saying out of all trucks on the road, that Ford still has a bunch out there and they have high miles on them on a second tranny--but at 400,000 miles who cares if it's on the second--most any truck will have gone through 2 by then. Its expected and its normal for a tranny to fail--its inevitable--when is the question--the later the better--but it can't always be that way--plus it also depends on the level of PM that was done to it--I know of numerous PSD E40D's that have made it to 200k because of regular fluid and filter changes every 30,000 miles, as well as a larger oil cooler.

Also keep in mind there is a large group of people who buy trucks to lift them and put big tires on them and mod their engines out, and not their trannies--thats a factor you must consider. That right there probably accounts for 50% of failures there--modding your engine but not doing anything to your tranny to help it take the power.

Lucky1
11-24-2004, 11:57 AM
I have a relative who works for ford truck division, an engineer. he would like to no the name of the dealership that replaced 17 torq. shift :sleeping: transmissions in a week? Please give name and location.

Tevi
11-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Where do you get your statistics from?On the other hand Ford trucks are harder working trucks so they break more

Smalltimer1
11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Forgot to mention--I am not brand blind--I love the old International Harvester trucks, but since they haven't been made since 1979, I have to go with my next choice, Ford.

International Harvester made some of the best gas engines ever. I have heard of numerous 345ci and 392ci V-8's making it to 400,000 miles and still going strong. I heard it had to do with a higher nickel content in the block casting.

selnoil
11-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Wow, I'm glad my post has so many guys voicing there opinion.

Smalltimer mentioned the transmission failer differences. There are so many reasons why they could go. A friend of mine has a 96' GMC diesel 1 ton with a plow and wing, it has 13,000 miles and its had 3 trannies :cry: . He is the most careful guy I know and has tried everything. Now on the other hand a friend has a f250 with a diesel and plow and he beats the crap out of the thing :angry: and has had no problems with 131k.

I really do not have a preference which truck I buy (even though I'm a Ford guy at heart) but it needs to be reliable. New vehicles can have there problems but as long as the dealership backs it I guess it will be fine!

Our 2000 Suburban with a 6.0 gas in it (40,000 miles) tows our horse trailer, 31' camper, and runs around town all the time has had no problems with anything! :) Sometimes I think its the luck of the draw especially in the age of computer run vehicles.

Thanks for the input guys!

UNISCAPER
11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Also keep in mind there is a large group of people who buy trucks to lift them and put big tires on them and mod their engines out, and not their trannies--thats a factor you must consider. That right there probably accounts for 50% of failures there--modding your engine but not doing anything to your tranny to help it take the power.

This nailed it on the head. 40" tires, 3:73 gears, chips, 14" lifts in the front, 8" lifts in the rear.

Of the trucks with bad trannies, all were lifted, all were playing in the dessert.

Now, take that same truck, stock hieght, etc etc. Hook it to a 20' 10,000 lb trailer up and down the grades we have, and you are lucky to get 50,000 miles out of a tranny.

My beef is simple. Trucks are built supposedly, to work. All manufacturers own advertising shows the various situations that trucks are designed to perform in. So, if I buy any truck, and my intended purpose is to pull trailers, carry loads, (F-450 with 2.5 tons of gravel in the dump) and alike, with what a truck costs, they owe us 200,000 trouble free miles doing the jobs they made the truck for. If you add large tires, if you lift a truck up, and you never pull a thing with it, that is really not much different than a stock truck with a trailer behind it.

The dealership, North County Ford. Another dealership, Escondido Ford replaced 7 transmissions the week before last, and, Oceanside transmission has had 100 Torqeshift trannies in to beef up to date. It is too new for them to have had the thousands like the E4OD junk that have done.

The E4OD and that other junk that superseeded it have problems backing under load. If you back up a hill loaded, or pushing a trailer, that is when they are most likey to grenade. I'm sure the Torqueshift will follow suite unless Ford got it right this time. I hope they have.

UNISCAPER
11-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Forgot to mention...345 and 392 cornpickers, great engines. I worked for a Harvester dealer in 1974. Transtar, Cargostar, Paystar, Fleetstar, and Loadstar. I always liked the steel front ended Loadstar, not the toss up nose. The more you beat the fenders, the more tears they got, the better they would run. Then there was that old International pumpkin. Perfectly round, and right in the middle and embossed cornpicker logo.
One you forgot to mention is the old 450 in line 6. Two cylinder heads of 3 a piece, dual exhaust, double barrel carb. An old secret was if you ever lost a crank on one of the old International tractors, it was the same part that the 450 six used, just had a different number. And, with the different number, the tractor crank cost $500.00 more than the truck crank. Inventive marketing at best... We used to resurface the heads of the 450's with a piece of 36 grit sand paper and a 2x4. Slower than hell, can't kill em.
The 549 however, was the biggest piece of junk ever made. Used to see alot of those on the tow hook back home.

Smalltimer1
11-24-2004, 09:41 PM

This nailed it on the head. 40" tires, 3:73 gears, chips, 14" lifts in the front, 8" lifts in the rear.

Of the trucks with bad trannies, all were lifted, all were playing in the dessert.

Now, take that same truck, stock hieght, etc etc. Hook it to a 20' 10,000 lb trailer up and down the grades we have, and you are lucky to get 50,000 miles out of a tranny.

The dealership, North County Ford. Another dealership, Escondido Ford replaced 7 transmissions the week before last, and, Oceanside transmission has had 100 Torqeshift trannies in to beef up to date. It is too new for them to have had the thousands like the E4OD junk that have done.

I still am skeptical about your stories....if there is any truth to them, then they are 4R100's not the 5R110. I mean I could understand if you owned a TS, but you're not going to randomly go to a dealer and ask how many TS have you replaced in the past year if you don't own one??

If the TS is as bad as you say they are, then the aftermarket would be advertising like crazy like they have been with the E40D and 4R100's and 700R4's and 4L60E's.

I invite you to visit Ford Truck Enthusiasts--where most every one either comes to praise or complain about their trucks and talk tech. A TS failure is almost unheard of on the SD boards over there.

UNISCAPER
11-25-2004, 12:18 AM
I understand your skepticism. First, I have a truck (450) in with a blown tranny. It scattered while I was backing up a hill with a 20' Wells trailer on. Stopped to unhook, unhooked, put the truck in gear...Wham, oil all over the street. Nothing happened after that. the reason I ask various dealer mechanics and an independant transmission shop is simple.

Believe it or not, I really do like Ford trucks. My stock car is a Ford, and there is a CSX4000 Shelby Cobra sitting in my garage with a port injected 427 tunnel port side oiler under the hood. If only I had a spare $395,000 there would be a new GT in there next to the Cobra.

I am less than thrilled with Fords past performance in the tranny department, and until I bought the 04 3500 Chevy, and 05 4500 Chevy, I was forced to decide if I replace transmissions (Ford) or deal with brakes that suck and rplace them every 15,000 miles. (GMC) I can easily go either way, but, absolutely despise the thought of dumping 4K into a tranny that blows every 30,000 miles. Do the new 5R110's do like the E4OD junks did, I don't see at this time as much evidence they are heading that way, though as I believe with all new designs, time must be spent to work out the bugs. I'm in no way willing to once again, be Ford's test pilot unless they would be willing to provide trucks with no cost, for the down time if the tranny blows, and extend the warrantees for the time thier truck sat in the shop getting fixed.

This is the same reason I did not buy any GM products right after the Allison was implemented, and have never owned any GM diesels until present. I really do hope Ford got it right this time. I'm finding it pretty hard to swallow, that because owners have installed chips, that Ford is rejecting warrantee claims. If the transmissions were as strong as they need to be, they should not scatter with a few more ponies and pounds of torque. Beefing an engine up and running in the dessert and pulling a trailer up and down grades on hard streets with better traction can cause just as much stress as the other, and it is pretty crappy that they woukld wiggle out of paying a claim this way.

Simply put, I ask these questions in a never ending quest to have the best equipment at our company. In all honesty, I am thinking the 4500 and F-450 both may be just a tad too small to do many of the tasks we perform in our company, and might just step up the trucks to a Peterbuilt T-300, or a 33,000 GVW Mack Granite. We have tandems of both brands, single axles might be exactly what we need for what we do. over working undersized trucks in most likely the main reason why any tranny malfunctions are happening, regardless of brand. There are alot of people in this neck of the woods who will buy a 250 to do the work of a 450, and a 450 to do what a 750 should be doing to save money, then they gripe about something going down. I wopuld much rather buy a heavier truck than what I need and carry less weight any day of the week.

Smalltimer1
11-25-2004, 12:54 AM
I think the dealer has a lot to do with how you feel about your brand as well. I know if I blew a tranny and had it in my dealer's shop, they would give me a truck to drive the full duration of its repair. How do I know? Because when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with my truck in August they loaned me a F-250 until they found my problem and fixed it, and it was October when I finally got it back, but they got everything right on it, those lifters gave me a little trouble and nobody could figure it out until they called engineering, so I don't have to worry about taking it back in.

UNISCAPER
11-25-2004, 11:20 AM
That is very true smalltimer. Our GM dealer is awesome. With that particular Ford dealer, I get the feeling we are simply a number. In my view, we are a number who purchases 2-3 trucks every 3 years, varying sizes.

Have a happy turkey day!