PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 11:28 PM
How does everyone get rid of it? I am doing a renovation that is full of it. I have sprayed it with roundup half a dozen times and it isn't disappearing. I am really allergic to it. I finally got it last weekend some how through all of my clothes. I am really careful when i take my clothes off when i have been exposed to it. Last time i got it i was in the hospital. Any home remedies??

chuckers
11-18-2004, 11:35 PM
at your local drug store they have a cream that is like 30 or something dollars. I cant remember havent baught any in forever Its like 2 oz in the tube that takes care of it instantly. I cant remember the name but im sure someone knows what im talking about. :help:

work_it
11-18-2004, 11:42 PM
I spray it with Ortho Brush-B-Gone, but even though that kills the ivy it doesn't get rid of the urushiol which reacts with your skin causing the alergic reaction.
There's a lot of websites on Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) and all the different treatments. Here's one to start you off on your quest to find ways to treat it. Good luck.

www.ivystat.com

PLM-1
11-18-2004, 11:45 PM
I spray it with Ortho Brush-B-Gone, but even though that kills the ivy it doesn't get rid of the urushiol which reacts with your skin causing the alergic reaction.
There's a lot of websites on Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) and all the different treatments. Here's one to start you off on your quest to find ways to treat it. Good luck.

www.ivystat.com

thanks...i have looked at the website before...found it off of WebMD!

I will try that killer though!

sildoc
11-18-2004, 11:48 PM
go see the doc and get a prescription. Kenalog or prednisone.

Try using 2-4d amine on the poision oak. Round up should of worked but hey what can I say, go with the cheaper route and apply at the highest recomended concintration which I belive is 2oz per gallon pending what manufactured product you buy. Mix well and dont skimp too much when spraying. I find 2 - 3 apps of this will pretty much take care of it. Be carfull if it is wrapped in trees. Pull them down first then spray.
If it is not a large area then pull it by hand. get those really long elbow length rubber gloves and some rubber waders and goto town. Make sure your face is covered. Never mow it as it puts little molecules in the air. Combined with sweat you will break out every where that is exposed.

Dodgemania
11-18-2004, 11:56 PM
I used to go to doctor and get an injection but around here they've done away with that, and now you get a set of pills up to six days. It's a type of steroid and my doctor said she would only give it to me three times a year, because it's bad for circulation or something.
So then she goes on to tell me that I should swich occupations. I told her that wasn't an option. She looked at me weird and I told her thats like me telling you to switch occupations over something minor.
Not going to her anymore!
Yeah but I can look at the stuff and get it.

PTOhioMower
11-19-2004, 12:01 AM
What works really well on poison ivy is hot water!! The hotter the better, boiling hot. The hard part is gettin the hot water to the ivy. Maybe one of those portable steamers would work well. Good luck, I hate the stuff!!

Pecker
11-19-2004, 12:16 AM
The stuff Chuckers is talking about is called Zanfel. It is pretty expensive but worth every penny if you apply it just as the poison ivy is getting started. I've had poison ivy 11 times over the past two years and it only made it past Zanfel once. Not bad. Again, I URGE you to get Zanfel ASAP (No I don't have stock in Zanfel. Yes I do still highly recommend it). However, if its past the first several hours after contact, you've got poison ivy. Nothing but Caladryl lotion and patience will get you through it at that point.

Try to keep it under control. Don't sweat. Don't touch your body. Don't let the affected part of your body touch other parts of your body whether they are affected or not. Don't touch anyone else. Don't touch things that other people use because they can get it off of it. Especially DON'T touch yer privates (or anybody else's) because privates are even easier to spread it to. Don't scratch. Don't think about scratching (even the thought of scratching poison ivy makes it spread). Don't even dream about scratching - it only makes it worse.

Use LOTS of soap in the shower. Hot water helps to scratch it without you having to scratch it. . .thats the only relief but don't stay in the hot water too long or you'll start perspiring and make it worse. Apply medicine to the least affected body parts and then the most affected body parts to minimize the spread of Urushiol (the oil common to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac that serves as the antigen to the antibodies in your body that causes the allergic reaction). Wash yer hands thoroughly after you've applied topical medicine. Put on clean clothes at least twice a day and use lots of soap in the washer. Drink plenty of water and take a daily dose of Vitamin C. Last but not least, lick your left eyebrow with your tongue.

Frontier-Lawn
11-19-2004, 12:25 AM
you could always do a bevis & buthead :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :laugh: just kidding, i my self would use concentrated round up on the plants

PLM-1
11-19-2004, 12:32 AM
The stuff Chuckers is talking about is called Zanfel. It is pretty expensive but worth every penny if you apply it just as the poison ivy is getting started. I've had poison ivy 11 times over the past two years and it only made it past Zanfel once. Not bad. Again, I URGE you to get Zanfel ASAP (No I don't have stock in Zanfel. Yes I do still highly recommend it). However, if its past the first several hours after contact, you've got poison ivy. Nothing but Caladryl lotion and patience will get you through it at that point.

Try to keep it under control. Don't sweat. Don't touch your body. Don't let the affected part of your body touch other parts of your body whether they are affected or not. Don't touch anyone else. Don't touch things that other people use because they can get it off of it. Especially DON'T touch yer privates (or anybody else's) because privates are even easier to spread it to. Don't scratch. Don't think about scratching (even the thought of scratching poison ivy makes it spread). Don't even dream about scratching - it only makes it worse.

Use LOTS of soap in the shower. Hot water helps to scratch it without you having to scratch it. . .thats the only relief but don't stay in the hot water too long or you'll start perspiring and make it worse. Apply medicine to the least affected body parts and then the most affected body parts to minimize the spread of Urushiol (the oil common to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac that serves as the antigen to the antibodies in your body that causes the allergic reaction). Wash yer hands thoroughly after you've applied topical medicine. Put on clean clothes at least twice a day and use lots of soap in the washer. Drink plenty of water and take a daily dose of Vitamin C. Last but not least, lick your left eyebrow with your tongue.

just FYI you can't spread P/I that is an only wives tale! I learned that off of WebMD!!!!!!

PLM-1
11-19-2004, 12:34 AM
The weird thing about this is is that i didn't even think i messed with the p/i. i just starting breaking out yesterday. the last time i was at that property was saturday. I have heard that it sometimes takes up to 4 or 5 days for you to have a reaction. Some idiot is prolly burning it somewhere!!!! :angry:

PLM-1
11-19-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm bored so i am gonna tell a story.

I haven't had poison ivy in about 5 years. The last time i had it i got it REALLY bad. I had it all over my face and even "below my belt". My doctor put me on steroids and the dose that he gave me O/D'd me. I was on vacation in NY and East Haven Conn. I had to go all the way to Hartford from East Haven to the ER. I had to be admitted and was there for all but the last day. Then i went to the ocean (can't remember where) and then got stung by a bunch of jelly fish.

I thought that i wasn't allergic to P/I anymore but i guess not. My grandpa can roll in it, burn it, and cook with it and he won'd get it!!!

Does anybody else have any Poison Ivy stories??

work_it
11-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Why is it that everyone thinks you can continue to spread it after you've washed the urushiol off your skins surface? Welcome to the world of inadequate information. The fact about poison ivy/oak/sumac is that you can continue to break out a week after initial contact. The areas that break out first (and the worst) are the ones which are exposed in the heaviest concentrations. Different areas, which were exposed to lighter concentrations, will break out later giving the appearance of it spreading.

If you're just starting to break out (within the first 8 hours) I would suggest a product called TECNU (found at most Walgreens) if you can't find the Zanfel.

Other than that I've found that taking a medium hot bath with about 4 cups of oatmeal and a half cup of salt help to dry and ease the itching of ivy. I hate baths, but will do anything to get rid of ivy and oak blisters.

65hoss
11-19-2004, 12:51 AM
You can get Ivy Block at the drug store. Works very good. Also, Dawn dishwashing liquid. I keep a bottle of it in the truck also. Dawn cuts oil and greases. The oils from poison ivy can be washed off it you do it immediately after exposure with the Dawn.

I learned the hard way once about spraying it and thinking it would not get me after death. Wrong. It is still mean stuff even when dead.

Shady Brook
11-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Zanfel rules, I will never be without it. It gives instant relief! I think the problem with poison ivy is that it gets into your system, and moves through the Lymphatic system causeing outbreaks days after exposure, and in places that were not exposed, or could not have had the oil spread too. Just get it as it pops up. Some folks reccomend Rhus Tox pills or liquid as a means to build up your body's ability to fight off the toxin if exposure occurs. Some sware by it, but I have not experience in using it as a preventative.

I wish you well, and get some Zanfel.

I like Triclopyr best for viney stuff like poison ivy. Also be aware that plants in many areas are slowing down, and going into dormancy which will give symptoms of kill later then they would if temps were higher, and plant metabolism was going at a faster rate.

geogunn
11-19-2004, 01:22 AM
How does everyone get rid of it? I am doing a renovation that is full of it. I have sprayed it with roundup half a dozen times and it isn't disappearing. I am really allergic to it. I finally got it last weekend some how through all of my clothes. I am really careful when i take my clothes off when i have been exposed to it. Last time i got it i was in the hospital.

joplin--killing the vine will not kill the oil from the vine...and leaf which is what you are allergic to.

yes it can come from your clothes and in fact, depending on the hypersensitivity you have, the oil can be spread to the other clothes in the wash.

getting the stuff and treating the stuff are two different things. good luck man...I run from that stuff!

GEO

PLM-1
11-19-2004, 01:42 AM
joplin--killing the vine will not kill the oil from the vine...and leaf which is what you are allergic to.

yes it can come from your clothes and in fact, depending on the hypersensitivity you have, the oil can be spread to the other clothes in the wash.

getting the stuff and treating the stuff are two different things. good luck man...I run from that stuff!

GEO

i ususally run from it to. that is one thing that i look for when i do an estimate. The house that i am doing a renovation for is a friend of my dads that has done so much for me that i couldn't say no...and the pay is great too!

ICE
11-19-2004, 02:13 AM
I'm bored so i am gonna tell a story.

I haven't had poison ivy in about 5 years. The last time i had it i got it REALLY bad. I had it all over my face and even "below my belt". My doctor put me on steroids and the dose that he gave me O/D'd me. I was on vacation in NY and East Haven Conn. I had to go all the way to Hartford from East Haven to the ER. I had to be admitted and was there for all but the last day. Then i went to the ocean (can't remember where) and then got stung by a bunch of jelly fish.

I thought that i wasn't allergic to P/I anymore but i guess not. My grandpa can roll in it, burn it, and cook with it and he won'd get it!!!

Does anybody else have any Poison Ivy stories??

Hey Jop, I have a story for ya! A few years back, I get this job to do some weed wacking and brush removal. It was a really long ditch with no more than knee high weeds. Well, being all gung ho and stuff, I went right at it, and if you ever saw that Zima commercial with the lawn mower guy COVERED head to toe with grass, well, that was me. Fast forward to a few hours later, and the itching starts. The next morning, I had blisters everywhere. And, of course, I was just wearing a pair of shorts, you know, to make matters the absolute worst that they could be :nono: (minus getting stung by multiple jellyfish!! LOL). At least there are no :gunsfirin :cry: bees in this story, I hate bees!! :realmad:

geogunn
11-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Last time i got it i was in the hospital. Any home remedies??

JOPLIN--I just remembered........do you have THE MEDICINE SHOPPES pharmacy in your area?

they offer a treatment which consists of 3 vials of liquid which are taken 1 vial per week for 3 weeks in the spring.

this supposedly de-sensitizes you from the stuff.

I took the treatment one year but still avoided the poison ivy so I dunno if it works.

another spring treatment that I have heard of BUT NOT TRIED :blush: is to pick a tiny fresh poison ivy leaf in the spring and eat it. do this a total of 1 tiny leaf per day for 10 days.

the report I got was it de-sensitizes you and the only problem likely to happen is you get an itchy anus for a while. :cry:

GEO :waving:

Shady Brook
11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
I have read that ingesting poison ivy can be fatal. I think the problem with eating a leaf is that you do not know the content/concentration of the toxin. I think it would be safer to go with something that has been tested, and used for some time as a homeopathic tool.

work_it
11-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Shady Brook is right about that one. Ingesting poison ivy can easily hospitalize you if it isn't fatal. Here's a webpage from Penn State University covering some of the myths of poison ivy. Eating it is discussed here as well. Just hope the link works.

http://paipm.cas.psu.edu/pivy.html

snap12.5
11-19-2004, 01:22 PM
i always wash my hands and arms with vinegar after handling poison ivy and have never gotten it

PTOhioMower
11-19-2004, 04:11 PM
I am very sensitive to poison ivy. What I have found that works best for me is when I see the first little blister pop up, I start using rubbing alcohol to help dry it out quicker. I know a doctor wont tell you to do this, but it really helps me when I take a hot shower and itch the blisters to open them up a bit, then attack it with the rubbing alcohol. It doesnt feel too good, but really dries it up quick!

jcb287
11-19-2004, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=chuckers]at your local drug store they have a cream that is like 30 or something dollars. I cant remember havent baught any in forever Its like 2 oz in the tube that takes care of it instantly. I cant remember the name but im sure someone knows what im talking about. :help:[/QUOT

The name is Zanfel......worth every penny.Rash will be gone in less than 24hrs :)

Pecker
11-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Why is it that everyone thinks you can continue to spread it after you've washed the urushiol off your skins surface? Welcome to the world of inadequate information. (and the wQUOTE]

[QUOTE=Joplin Mower]just FYI you can't spread P/I that is an only wives tale! I learned that off of WebMD!!!!!!

I'm saying anyone (or WebMD) is wrong, but my experience implies they are: I've had more than one personal experience (at least 8 times of getting poison ivy ago) where poison ivy spread to my privates several days after I had it only on my arms? There is no way my privates came in contact with Urushiol from the plant itself. The only way it could have spread there is from contact.

Another fact is that sweat can exacerbate and spread the infection.

PTOhioMower
11-19-2004, 04:32 PM
There is no way my privates came in contact with Urushiol from the plant itself. The only way it could have spread there is from contact.

You probably got the oils on your clothes. So when you took off your clothes, the oils were on your hands and your hands ended up on your you know who.

Pecker
11-19-2004, 11:07 PM
the oils were on your hands and your hands ended up on your you know who.

My point exactly. :D

NelsonLandworks
11-19-2004, 11:27 PM
I didn't read every post on here, so if i'm repeating someone I'm sorry.

Poison ivy is an oil that gets into your skin in 20 minutes flat. I read a post that someone said the initial break out is from direct contact, weeks later the smaller outbreaks are from where you got a smaller amount of oil on you.

To the best of my, and my pediatrician's knowledge that is because the oil doesn't stop once it hits your skin, it is absorbed into your blood stream and spreads internally.

The bubbles that pop up have no oil in them, it is the infection finding it's way out of your blood. thats why if you pop it, blood usually ends up following the "ooz".

I haven't found a topical treatment for poison ivy, i've tried damn near everything.

The closest thing to a cure was the shot they discontinued in New England because of it's high sucess rates-the pharmacuetical companies were loseing money so they got rid of what I thought was the best thing yet.

Each persons body is different, so they all react differently to the oil of poison ivy and the remedies that get rid of it. I've been to the hospital many many times, and the doctors office countless times

NelsonLandworks
11-19-2004, 11:29 PM

You probably got the oils on your clothes. So when you took off your clothes, the oils were on your hands and your hands ended up on your you know who.

if you read my post above it'll explain why it gets on almost every guys privates-lots of blood flows there in the mornings and during certain activities ;-)