PDA

View Full Version : Trailer sides???

gogetter
11-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Open landscape trailers. Who has sides and what kind? Wood, mesh, metal?
Did you buy it that way, or did you do it yourself?
How high are they? Any particular likes or dislikes with your current sides?

And of course, any photos??? :D

Anyone??

MOW ED
11-19-2004, 07:33 AM
I have stake pockets on the trailer and I can switch one of the sides between a 3' or a 18" side. The 3' side seems to work well for me most of the year. The front of the trailer is a gate that lowers into the pickup bed if I need to but since I dont bag anymore it is more of a decoration. I live in an area where security isn't a major issue so I don't need solid mesh sides.
My wood sides were easy to make and have served well.

Old Red
11-19-2004, 09:28 AM
My twelve ft. utility trailer has two foot metal sides with a six inch rail. Nice to tie things up against or to haul straw, whatever. However it's too tall, I can't reach the bottom to grab bungees, a strap end, rope, d-rings etc.

lsylvain
11-19-2004, 11:44 AM
I set mine up so I could interchange like MOW ED. I pulled a bobcat with it on ocassion so I needed to be able to pull the sides off easy so I could chain it down. The first level is a 2x12 with 24" post. Then depending what I am doing I can slap upto 4' sides on it in 15 or 20 min. I put brackets on the add on sides that slid over the post and put a couple screws in just to keep it from rattling. I usually kept just the 12" sides for mowing jobs. The extra ledgth of post comes in handy for straping stuff to.

One thing I wanted to try and set up was a side dump just on the front 4-6' of the trailer to unload clippings and stuff. I never really worked it out. I was thinking like making a 4x7 box to sit in the front with hindges on one side. So it could dump out the side without having to take the equipment off the trailer or unhook the trailer to unload the truck. Made lite enough you could probably dump it by hand with a couple guys.

Lux Lawn
11-19-2004, 11:48 AM
My 6x12 has wood sides that I added.
My 7x16 has factory mesh sides.

Runner
11-19-2004, 12:03 PM
I have an 18 ft. with the standard type ladder frame (like most landscape trailers). I ripped some plywood and now have 2 ft. high solid sides. I like this, because nothing can fall out (like if something comes out of the milk crate or something - pruners, string spool, etc.). It holds everything in, but is still low enough to easy access to everything. I can reach in from any point, and easily step up into the trailer from about anywhere. I just used small bolts and nuts w/ lockwashers through the steel of the frame.

Scag48
11-20-2004, 04:31 AM
I have a 6X10 that has stake pockets so I built wooden sides like MOW ED. I think mine are about 2 feet high and I bolted my trimmer/blower racks to them. I built a storage box to hold all the "accessories on the front of the trailer and that was a great addition. Nice to have everything you need on the trailer rather than on your truck.

lb59
03-01-2005, 08:11 AM
The trouble with fixed sides is you can't load and unload with a fork lift.