PDA

View Full Version : Bededging anyone??

Dig,Yard,Dirt
11-18-2004, 11:16 PM
What kind of bededging do you prefer?

I have a Brown 9hp bededger/trencher that makes an awesome 4' deep sharp trench down and a 6" slant towards the bed. It grinds the dirt into a sandy powder.
The mower deck can mow over the bed's edge while the mulch or rock lays clean and undisturbed in the bed's new edge.

JKOOPERS
11-18-2004, 11:25 PM
i have used a bededger brand didnt do a bad job but it wasnt self propelled .

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-19-2004, 07:00 AM
I have used a Bedscaper....but I didn't like how it left a continuous pile of dirt in the grass along the edge.

Derek

ztoro
11-19-2004, 07:30 AM
What kind of bededging do you prefer?

I have a Brown 9hp bededger/trencher that makes an awesome 4' deep sharp trench down and a 6" slant towards the bed. It grinds the dirt into a sandy powder.
The mower deck can mow over the bed's edge while the mulch or rock lays clean and undisturbed in the bed's new edge.

4' deep?? Do you contact the gas end electric company before you use it?

Dig,Yard,Dirt
11-19-2004, 08:56 AM
The gas and electric are 18-24" deep, but the some phone and cable lines aren't that deep. I have cut a couple of phone lines. If the home owner has underground lines I call a locator to spot the lines for me.

I normally don't edge 4" deep, mainly 3". That thing will wear you out.

ztoro
11-19-2004, 09:21 AM
The gas and electric are 18-24" deep, but the some phone and cable lines aren't that deep. I have cut a couple of phone lines. If the home owner has underground lines I call a locator to spot the lines for me.

I normally don't edge 4" deep, mainly 3". That thing will wear you out.

i was kidding you said 4 feet not 4 inches in your original thread.

Runner
11-19-2004, 09:56 AM
If you are edging ussing the Brown bed edger, there is really nothing more to say. You are using the finest piece of equipment available to do such a task. Not just because it is a bed edger, but because it is a Brown. There are comparable modela out there, but none that quite match up to the ability of this unit. Do I own one? No. I've used them in the past, as well as a few others, and I know that if in the event I make a purchase, it will be a Brown.

tiedeman
11-19-2004, 10:55 AM
I have had a lot of people try to sell me in the past bed edgers, but for right now I will stick with my stick edger and a shovel :)

Dig,Yard,Dirt
11-19-2004, 06:41 PM
The stick edger is perfect for concrete edges, no doubt, but it doesn't compare to the results from a bededger edge.

YardPro
11-20-2004, 07:20 PM
i also have a brown.
it is great for beds, and trenching. you can even get a stump grinding blade for it.

here we have no ground freeze at all. we use the trencher for our zone lines. at only 2"wide it makes cleanup a snap.

Dig,Yard,Dirt
11-20-2004, 09:06 PM
What are you calling zone lines? I don't understand. Please explain, Thanks

YardPro
11-21-2004, 07:06 AM
for irrigation i always use a manifold system. the main line coming from the supply to the manifold box is deeper.

all the individual lines to each zone are run with the trencher blade. it digs 8" deep, which puts the top od the 1" pipe 7" below surface.
since the lines are pressurized oly when the zone is runnung that is plenty deep

Gilla Gorilla
11-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Here is three pictures of a before and after using the brown bed edger.
Sorry but the pics did not turn out that great but you can still see the difference and it is a lot less work to just rake the dirt smooth into the bed and throw a little mulch on top then it is to have to haul off the sod cuttings from using a shovel and your foot.

Gilla Gorilla
11-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Here is two after pictures of the same area

Gilla Gorilla
11-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Here is the second after picture

Dig,Yard,Dirt
11-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Nice pictures!!!! The Brown does an excellant job!!

I understand about the zones now, Thanks. I have no experience with irrigation, that's why.

Gilla Gorilla
11-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Yeah it does a great job especially if you take your stick edger with a new blade on to just touch up the grass line after you ran the bed edger around.
That really cleans it up nicely then.

Mowmoney00
11-23-2004, 11:52 PM
I use to work for a good friend of mine who rented a Brown bed edger to do larger jobs. When I started my own business 5 years ago it was the very first piece of equipment that I had bought. I have to say its one of the wisest choices i've ever made. That machine is wonderful....but they are right it will go through anything in its path. Concrete, stumps, cable lines ... it doesn't matter it will cut it. It's still a great machine! I paid for it in man hrs just in the first year...now its all profit baby. Besides they have Honda engines on them. Need I say more

cenlo
03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
for irrigation i always use a manifold system. the main line coming from the supply to the manifold box is deeper.

all the individual lines to each zone are run with the trencher blade. it digs 8" deep, which puts the top od the 1" pipe 7" below surface.
since the lines are pressurized oly when the zone is runnung that is plenty deep

Do you have any before and after trench photos? I'm am in the process of buying the bededger / trencher from Brown and am getting alot of flak from the irrigation site on the mess it makes. Everyone is pushing the "vibe" plows.

If you have pics, I could really use the ammo! :)

AlbeLawn
03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
i am looking at a bed edger but have found out that there are alot of sprinkler heads in the beds that i was going to edge. most of them are unseen because they become covered worth mulch, dirt ect. do the people with them hid heads alot or can they feel them before they do damage. I don't think replacing 15-20 heads in one yard is worth the savings in time.

Jim
Albenesius lawn Service

cenlo
03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
i am looking at a bed edger but have found out that there are alot of sprinkler heads in the beds that i was going to edge. most of them are unseen because they become covered worth mulch, dirt ect. do the people with them hid heads alot or can they feel them before they do damage. I don't think replacing 15-20 heads in one yard is worth the savings in time.

Hitting the heads won't be an issue. Just make sure and turn the water on, and "flag" the locations.

TJLANDS
03-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Dont you have to pull the brown bed edger. We used it a couple of times
beat you up pretty bad. The bed shaper is self propelled and I think it does a better job.

cenlo
03-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Dont you have to pull the brown bed edger. We used it a couple of times
beat you up pretty bad. The bed shaper is self propelled and I think it does a better job.

Who makes the bed shaper?

TJLANDS
03-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Little wonder bought the Bed Shaper company Last year