PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used one of these...

Chowder
11-19-2004, 08:22 AM
This is my first post on this forum, I'm not a professional yet. I"m a teacher but I am interested in starting a sod farm at the family farm (my dad retired from farming) and also am interested in using that equipment for also creating new yards for people. I've found these two pieces of equipment interesting and I was wondering if anyone has ever used/seen these and what their opinion of either would be from a seeding standpoint and also from an aeration standpoint on the 2nd.

http://www.1stproducts.com/seedavator.htm

http://www.1stproducts.com/ae60.htm

walker-talker
11-19-2004, 09:15 AM
I can't speak from expierence, but I have read many reviews of those who have them and have not heard one negative remark about them. They sound like they are great for overseeding and aerating.

I did a search for you...click this link if you want to know more http://lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=83834

Runner
11-19-2004, 10:15 AM
The only downfall of these things are 2 things. First, they only put out 8 and 12 holes per sq. ft. so you would definitely be going over the area a few times to seed efficiently, being a renovation or a new seeding. Secondly, with the width of these things, any dips or slight imperfections in the grade are going to cause missed spots. Here is an option that I would strongly look into. Go to Locke's web page, and look at their slit seeder. This thing is awesome. It has 3 seperate sections that are pulled in a gang that float over ground terrain. Also, with slitseeding, you are getting much better distribution of your seed. With these other units (above), with 2 passes, you are only going to get plants approx. every 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart (1 pass would = 1 plant every 3 to 4 inches apart @ 12 holes per sq. ft.) and THAT is with alot of wasted seed, because so much seed gets dumped into the same holes (actually only one to two seeds will grow in a hole).

Chowder
11-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Where's Locke's webpage?

Chowder
11-19-2004, 12:17 PM
I found it.

impactlandscaping
11-19-2004, 12:50 PM
I used the Aera Vator on a Ventrac 4200VXD, and was very impressed with it. Never used or seen the AE 60, but it looks to be aquality product. I was very impressed with the soil breakup from the AeraVator, and think it would be a great addition to a sod farm operation.Add the electric seed box, and you're ready to go..

Lawn-Scapes
11-19-2004, 01:10 PM
I'd really like to have an aera-vator. They look like an awsome machine. Any ideas on the cost? I'd like the 60" but not sure if my 15hp Kubota would be able to pull it on even the slightest incline.

Chowder
11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
I called the dealer here in Columbus, they're about $7800 if you buy the aeravator and all the attatchments... seeder, brush, & roller.

I'm thinking about the seed-a-vator for the sod farm... it's 9 grand. If we do the sod farm we'll need a nice planter... it's not designed to dump seeds in the holes as someone overhead seemed to think... and it doesn't really make holes like a core aerater, it crushes and breaks up the ground and then working the seed into the ground leaving the turf undisrupted if you're overseeding and a nice finish if you're primary seeding.

Of course, it always sounds good when they're selling it.