PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 acres

packerbacker
11-19-2004, 03:15 PM
I just picked up a job for next summer. The lot is about 2.5 acres big. Its an older fella that really doesnt care what it looks like. There is not much trimming at all. I think it would probably take me about 1.5 - 2 hours to complete it all.

He was a little adamant about paying alot of money so i was wondering what you guys would charge.

I told him between 85 and 105 and keep in mind that im doing it by myself, no employees to play.

ztoro
11-19-2004, 03:30 PM
I just picked up a job for next summer. The lot is about 2.5 acres big. Its an older fella that really doesnt care what it looks like. There is not much trimming at all. I think it would probably take me about 1.5 - 2 hours to complete it all.

He was a little adamant about paying alot of money so i was wondering what you guys would charge.

I told him between 85 and 105 and keep in mind that im doing it by myself, no employees to play.

sounds kind of high, only because a guy with a Z can come in and do 2.5 acres in an hour easily...
If he will pay it who cares.

packerbacker
11-19-2004, 03:34 PM
sounds kind of high, only because a guy with a Z can come in and do 2.5 acres in an hour easily...
If he will pay it who cares.

Wow, i thought it sounded kind of low. But your right, if he pays it then who cares.

jtkplc
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
what is your hourly rate? if it takes 1.5 to 2 hours multiple your hourly rate by that and that should be what you charge.

EGLS
11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
here 2.5 acres goes for about $80 tops. with tons of trimming takes 1hr 10min,

packerbacker
11-19-2004, 04:44 PM
what is your hourly rate? if it takes 1.5 to 2 hours multiple your hourly rate by that and that should be what you charge.

I try to get about 55 an hour but like i said the guy doesnt have to much cash, he's basically living off of social security, and there is almost no trimming at all, i cant charge him 200 bucks just to mow it. i guess i go with about 100 bucks or so

Flex-Deck
11-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Here we are again talking hourly rates.
I still contend that a 2.5 acre yard is worth X number of dollars depending on the area you live in. Around here it is about $65, with minimal trimming.

NOW. If I want to invest $800 in a 21 inch push mower and take 8 hrs, They will pay me $65.

NOW. If I want to invest in a 9 1/2 foot mower and take 30 minutes, they will pay me $65

It all depends on the equipment, how efficient it is as to what you make an hour. Posting comments like I shoot for $1 per minute without telling us your equipment you are running is crap.

Thanks Brad

ztoro
11-19-2004, 06:18 PM
NOW. If I want to invest $800 in a 21 inch push mower and take 8 hrs, They will pay me $65.

NOW. If I want to invest in a 9 1/2 foot mower and take 30 minutes, they will pay me $65

It all depends on the equipment, how efficient it is

Thanks Brad

totally agree. Someone shouldnt pay you 100 because it takes you 2hrs when they can pay a guy with a faster mower and can do it in half the time for 50.

but then on the other hand if someone is willing to pay the bill, oh well...

until you get that guy with the faster mower thats drops off an estimate for half of your fees... then you will look dumb and trying to take an old mans money...

packerbacker
11-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Here we are again talking hourly rates.
I still contend that a 2.5 acre yard is worth X number of dollars depending on the area you live in. Around here it is about $65, with minimal trimming.

It all depends on the equipment, how efficient it is as to what you make an hour. Posting comments like I shoot for $1 per minute without telling us your equipment you are running is crap.

Thanks Brad

Why shouldnt we talk hourly rates, what happens in the spring when its growing 6 inches a week and you might have to double cut it and spend twice the time there. You pay mechanics by the hour, you pay plumbers by the hour, why shouldnt we get paid by the hour.

And just to clarify i really dont charge by the hour for mowing. Just for cleanups. I try to make 55-60 an hour by averaging 2 yards and hour.

YardPro
11-19-2004, 06:58 PM
benefits gained from expendatures on more efficent methods should go in your pocket not thiers.

impactlandscaping
11-19-2004, 07:13 PM
It makes me glad I live where I do when I read through some of these mowing threads. We get $ 60-65.00 for 3/4 acre yards here...I'd never touch a 2.5 acre yard(with minimal trimming) for less than $ 150.00 around here, I guess 105.00 there may not be bad. Don't lose any sleep over thinking "you are taking an old man's money".., not the case. People have to understand when they have acreage, it takes $$$ to maintain it one way or the other.I wouldn't drop my price any further with that line of thinking.. If he doesn't take it, move on...

Precision
11-19-2004, 11:17 PM
first off the question is per mow or per month

second if it is per mow, how often are the mows bi weekly should be atleast 35-50% higher than weekly (per visit)

Third charge what the market will bear.

I mow a property for a friends dad (and give him a cheap rate) at he pays $90 per mow (3 acres and NO trimming).

dvmcmrhp52
11-19-2004, 11:29 PM
With little trimming and him not caring what it looks like I'd say your 85-105 is good pricing.
In the spring it will probably take you 1 hour 45 minutes, in the slower growing season it will get done in an hour to an hour and a half depending on your equipment.
An average of 1 1/2 hours puts you at $60/hr. for a $90 cut.

On edit: I'm assuming a 52 or 60 inch mower.........

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Personally, I hate these kinds of situations. There's just no money in them. But at the same time, I'm inclined to want to cut a senior citizen a break if it really does seem they are living on a very tight budget.....

If I were swayed to do the job and if..... it were flat, smooth, wide open, with very little trim/edge/blow.... and it was not out of the way to get to....

I'd break it up in a 12 pay for him to help his budgeting concerns
$400 a month for 36 cuts.

Thats what? $133.33 per cut.
He's happy and I'm happy, otherwise I gotta walk....
Although I might not really want to :(

dvmcmrhp52
11-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Personally, I hate these kinds of situations. There's just no money in them. But at the same time, I'm inclined to want to cut a senior citizen a break if it really does seem they are living on a very tight budget.....

If I were swayed to do the job and if..... it were flat, smooth, wide open, with very little trim/edge/blow.... and it was not out of the way to get to....

I'd break it up in a 12 pay for him to help his budgeting concerns
$400 a month for 36 cuts.

Thats what? $133.33 per cut.
He's happy and I'm happy, otherwise I gotta walk....
Although I might not really want to :(

There's no money in these situations?
So $60/hr for a solo is now chump change I suppose?

At $133/ cut he will most likely not get the job rather the old gent will get a good laugh.

Otherwise you gotta walk?
No, otherwise you want to walk. Why I don't know, I'll take that $60/hr and make money, but then it will only take us an hour to do that $90/cut job.

olderthandirt
11-20-2004, 01:19 AM

At $133/ cut he will most likely not get the job rather the old gent will get a good laugh.

No, otherwise you want to walk. Why I don't know, I'll take that $60/hr and make money, but then it will only take us an hour to do that $90/cut job.

Yeah gotta agree Dave. Bring in the big mowers and get it done quick and your making money.

Mac

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2004, 03:40 AM

Yeah gotta agree Dave. Bring in the big mowers and get it done quick and your making money.

Mac

.... and there is the reason the price the customer would expect to pay for these basic mowing jobs hasn't went up more than $5 a lawn in 20 years....

When are you guys going to let go of the anchor that holds this industry in one stagnant pool? Ohhhh but the $60 per hour gross figure!!!!....

Forget it. What I'm asking is when are we going to assign a general dollar value to a certain volume of work to be performed? Yeah, that's right, charge for volume, not break your balls to produce volume...

How about a $1 per 1000.... rock bottom minimum rate?.... Even for larger properties. That's $43.56 and acre... Not unreasonable at all even after adding a rate per linear ft of trim/edge and a blow off fee. That puts it at $50 or more per acre. FAIR!

2.5 acres = 108900 sq ft = $108.90 + additional charges per weekly visit.

I said $133.33 - $108.90 = $24.43 additional

Maybe that's fair for the trim/edge/blow/travel. Maybe a bit much... haven't seen the property. But even at your majic $60 hr... that's 24.43 minutes to drive from the previous account, unload, trim/edge/blow, talk with the old fellow, re-load and drive to the next one.

Yeah, I certainly and apparently realize my rates are higher on the scale, way high in my area. But I don't feel they are unfair for the volume and quality of work performed. At minimum, this job is worth $133+ per visit.... $100 as a my good deed of the day to cut a senior a break.

So yeah, in contrast to other opportunities, for me there is no money in these types of accounts. The people don't care what it looks like. So the turf is almost always unhealthy and contaminated. This breeds cutting problems and more times than not you run into problems with the customer. Suddenly when they are actually paying you, they care. They complain about the strand of dallisgrass or wild onion that didn't cut or dandelions that jump 4" above the turf 2 days after you cut... or that 1/2" you had to raise up on the turf to avoid double cutting that week because it has rained 3" in the last week. Or they gripe about the skipped cut and brown grass because it hasn't rained in a month.

So yeah, there's no money in that kind of work not only because of the above. But because guys like you will do it for $60-90 a visit, and some numbnut here will do the same size property with 18 large oaks and handle the leaves in the fall, all for $35 a visit. Proof they are wide open for the taking for any Joe Blow with 2 planks and a rider of any type.

So you'll do it for $90 a week and it will take you how many ever hours. You'll double cut areas to get all the weeds, you'll double cut the whole thing during wet weather, and during the drought he'll tell you it doesn't need cutting when you show up, and you'll cut him slack on payment for those weeks... and how will he repay you? By promptly dumping you next spring for the $35 guy in your area, leaving you to scramble at the last minute to find another 2.5 acre job.

So by all means, load up the crew along with the fleet of 72"s and run right on over to make your $60-90 hour if you want. It's just not for me is all....

END RANT :waving:

YardPro
11-20-2004, 09:05 AM

Mhat's 24.43 minutes to drive from the previous account, unload, trim/edge/blow, talk with the old fellow, re-load and drive to the next one.

END RANT :waving:

that's the main thing people don't keep track of--- windshield time. it will kill you.

i see guys all the time forgetting about it. that have a labor rate of ( for easy math ) $50.00.
at the end of 8 hours they should have done $400.00/ worth of work.

they look at thier billing and see that they only did $300.00. and can't figure out why.

olderthandirt
11-20-2004, 11:25 AM
So by all means, load up the crew along with the fleet of 72"s and run right on over to make your $60-90 hour if you want. It's just not for me is all....

Nope it $100.00 an hr. not shabby for mowing. With all the ranting it still comes down to the fact that if a home owner has the time he can buy and pay for that nice commercial mower in less than the 2 yrs he would pay you. You can only charge what the market will pay give or take a few dollars. BTW 25 yrs ago that was a $25 lawn at most on a lawn tractor. I was doing them at that time

Mac