PDA

View Full Version : Welders

danslawncare
11-19-2004, 02:27 PM
I have 220V power avabile. I need to decide if a mig or arc welder would be better for me? I need to repair lawn mowers, and some minor fabracation. Any ideas? I'd like to stay under $500. Any input would be helpful.

Leone LawnCare
11-19-2004, 02:36 PM
arc welding is very sloppy and used mainly for construction. If your fabircating a mig welder is the way to go. Get the most powerful one you can afford and try to get 440 in your garage so you can handle a bigger machine

1MajorTom
11-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Please check out this site for all your welding questions. It's a good group of guys over there.
www.weldingweb.com

Travis Followell
11-19-2004, 05:59 PM
A MIG welder would probibly work best for you. A stick welder offers you more power for your dollar but like said earlier, they are kindah sloppy and take a little more skill to use. Most mig welders will accept flux cored welding wire which requires no sheilding gas as the flux in the wire shields the weld although that requires clean up of the weld.

If you use mig wire you will have to have a bottle of shielding gas to shield the weld and keep contaminants out while your welding. The good thing about this is you do not have to chip slag off of the weld so the weld is clean and shiny. Also keep in mind mig welding does not work too good outside because the wind blows away the shielding gas and that results in a poor quality weld. Hope this helps.

anteater6788
11-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Your not going to buy much of a MIG welder for $500 but for $1,200 you should be able to buy a 200 amp model that should handle anything you will ever need to weld. I have a 250 amp MIG welder as well as a stick welder but I only use the stick welder a few times a year when I have to weld something outside. The MIG is faster and easier to use than a stick welder but they cost alot more.

Itsgottobegreen
11-19-2004, 07:07 PM
What ever you do get a Miller welder. You just can't kill them.

If any thing I would get a Miller MIG 175. But you will spend at least $750.
If you felt like spending the money a Miller MIG 210 which is around $1200.

If you want a Stick a Miller Maxistar 150 s is around $580.
What ever you do get a DC stick welder. The AC buzz boxes are a joke. They can't produce a weld with the same strength as one welded in DC.

I used stick, MIG and TIG welders all the time. Stick has the power to weld anything. Mig is the easiest. Tig is the most versatile. I prefer the MIG.

The little cheap 110v MIG welders are a joke. Don't even waste the money on one. Because you will regret it with in the first 5 minutes of uses when you try to weld something heavy with it. You then will spend even more money to replace it. Been there done that.

1grnlwn
11-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Sounds like you would like a 185A. mig welder. Probably a bit more than $500 but 220V. is better than 110V. A top of the line 110V. machine will weld perfect but has a shorter duty cycle and can be problematic on 15A. garage circuits. Duty cycle really is not an issue for the beginner since most of the time is spent preping and aligning and little time actually welding. The gas feature is the way to go. Then keep a small spool of flux core for the outside welding.

Evergreenpros
11-19-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm actually in the same boat as you. I found an ample supply of 179-180 amp 230v mig welding set ups on ebay for around the $560-640 mark. Also found a model, probably a Chinese jobber, for about $250 with those specs. Depends on what brand you want(Lincoln, Hobart, etc). An AC/DC welder with 200-250amp AC and around 120??amp DC is about $450. Of course AC only welders can be had for a couple hundred but I've been told by many welders that AC will not satisfy my needs (repairing equipment and minor fabrication) I'd have to agree with them, I imagine I'd blow so many holes in the metal I was welding thatthe AC welder would end up in the trash (not good on thin metals).

So what I found out was: Mig is the way to go for needs such as ours. 230v is a must with at least 150amp in case I have to weld aluminium. If cost is a huge concern then AC/DC welder. A straight AC welder will do the job but then I have to buy a huge supply of different sticks to weld with or I'll have to run and get new sticks every time I weld something different (verticle, horizontal, size, thickness, different fluxes etc etc)

breck75
11-19-2004, 07:44 PM
When I was an Iron Worker I used both welders, a mig welder is by far the best way to go. I don't know what you know about welding but someone without any experience in welding can weld very well with a mig welder. Like the others said on this thread, you will probably have to spend more than $500 to get a decent one. Kevin :waving: