PDA

View Full Version : How do you store and organize receipts?

Expert Lawns
11-19-2004, 02:57 PM
I have been using business size envelopes to file my receipts, but as I have been growing, so have the envelopes. I find my envelopes overflowing and the receipt dates are out of order. What should I upgrade to? I'm tired of dealing with ripped and over-stuffed envelopes.

What methods have worked for you guys? I am a full-time solo operation, so I don't have the abundance of paperwork that some of you bigger guys have.

lqmustang
11-19-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm full time solo also. I use a separate envelope for every month. Makes it easier to keep the receipts in order, and also easier to go back and just grab the month I need if I have to go back and find one. If you have too many to fit comfortably using 1 envelope per month then split the month and label your envelopes accordingly.

tiedeman
11-19-2004, 03:11 PM
you should get a file organizer, that is seperated for every month. That is what I do.

Expert Lawns
11-19-2004, 03:43 PM
seems to me that a file organizer wouldn't hold the receipts well enough. wouldn't they fall out the sides? what kind do you use?

Littleriver1
11-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Monthy envelopes seem to work the best for me also. I use Quick Books and as I enter receipts in the computer they go in an envelope marked for the month. The best way to avoid this is to stop spending. Good luck with that.

Expert Lawns
11-19-2004, 04:16 PM
So all I have to do is eliminate gas and insurance?

tiedeman
11-19-2004, 04:31 PM
seems to me that a file organizer wouldn't hold the receipts well enough. wouldn't they fall out the sides? what kind do you use?

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/skuset.asp?PageType=2&SkuSetID=1003411&bcFlag=True&bcSCatId=1&bcSCatName=Office+Supplies&bcCatId=15&bcCatName=Filing+Supplies&bcDeptId=1458&bcDeptName=Expandable+Filing&bcClassId=140617&bcClassName=Expanding+Files

kppurn
11-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I have a file cabinet that I use to store everything. For the most part, everything is filed according to my chart of accounts in Quickbooks. Some have multiple folders for each account separated by vendor. For instance, in the job materials folder, I have separate folders for Lesco, Tiffany Lawn and Garden, Indiana Mulch, etc.

Some are seperated by month. Fuel is one example. I track fuel used in the vehicle and equipment seperate. I make sure to document on the receipts what it was for.

BTW, I like the logo Expert. Pretty sharp.

Kevin

Sean Adams
11-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Daily P&L on one sheet for each month...as receipts come in they go nowhere until placed on P&L as well as in computer. Then we have the large size plastic bank deposit bags - the kinds used by restaraunts to make nite deposits. The receipts are then placed in there in chronlogical order for the month. At the end of each month the P&L is broke down to assure the receipts match up as well. Then that month's receipts are placed into legal size sealed envelope with printed out P&L stapled to font of envelope.

Expert Lawns
11-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Sean, P&L? Decode that for me.

Thanks Kevin, I have had many compliments on my logo, my guy does great work. I hope to post pictures of the truck all decked out with the logo and lettering. Just haven't gotten around to it.

tiedeman
11-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Profit and Lose

tiedeman
11-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Profit and Lose

I mean profit and loss

nt1
11-19-2004, 08:16 PM
During the month paper clips or clothes pins and a large manilla enveople to keep them in order. At the end of the month, I staple them together and file away in manilla envelopes, one for each month.

Expert Lawns
11-20-2004, 05:49 PM
sounds like most of you do it monthly. i keep all receipts in one envelope, but when i put the numbers into the computer, i break them down weekly.

what are the advantages of doing it monthly? is it easier come tax time or does it simply make it easier for you to have a monthly figure to work with

tiedeman
11-20-2004, 06:13 PM
I enter them into approx 5-6 different spreadsheets first before I file them away. Heck tax season last year, I had all of my stuff ready the 3rd of January. It only took me about 2 hours to do my taxes last year

GrassBustersLawn
11-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I use a 3 ring binder with see thru plastic holders. All gas receipts go in one, PO receipts in another, repairs separated by different vendors, etc. By end of year 3 ring binder is full! Still can lay hands on just about anything pretty easily by flipping thru plastic holders. Everything has a 3 ring binder. One for insurance declarations, one for Sales Tax; Payroll Tax; Jobs Quoted; Bank Statements:..........contents of 3 ring binder are on spine, so I can pull the correct binder off of shelve.

Mike

YardPro
11-20-2004, 08:03 PM
expanding folders.
same categories as quickbooks, just like the other guy.

as for accounts i have a separate file for them.
at the end of the year ALL FILES go into a larer file with the corresponding year on it.

Currinson
11-20-2004, 08:22 PM
I also use quickbooks which makes reporting very easy. For the last few years I have been filing in a file cabinet by vendor, I used to file by expense, however the problem began when I would by envelopes and oil from walmart on the same slip. What expense do they get filed as? So I started by vendor and its great.

Good Luck