PDA

View Full Version : Woods 2560 mid mount

Travis Followell
11-19-2004, 07:29 PM
I was just wondering if I was the only one that has ever used a Woods 2560 mid mount. The farm where I work has one and thats what I get to use when we mow. Its either that or an old JD F620 z-trak front mount thats slow and underpowered. Thanks for any replies.

Albemarle Lawn
11-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Same machine, orange paint instead of red.

Travis Followell
11-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Well there are a lot of differences between the machines and also a lot of similarities between them also. I've heard from a Gravely dealer that the machines aren't exactly the same. He said Gravely didn't let woods have all their features or in other words the Woods is just a cheaper made Gravely and the woods isn't as good of a machine. Because the machines are different that is why I posted this thread to find out other peoples experiences with the Woods machines.

Travis Followell
11-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Anyone else?

Mo Green
11-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Never heard of them.

Travis Followell
11-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Woods equipment co. builds farm equipment. Mainly rotary cutters from 42" up to 20'. They also build tillers, loaders, scaper blades, landscape rakes, excavater attachments, and other tractor implements.

Albemarle Lawn
11-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Just look at the Woods and decide for yourself if it has enough goodies to suit you. I think the Woods are based on an older design of the Gravely 260Z, which I happen to like more than the newer ones because the longer tail puts more weight on the drive wheels which = better traction on hills.

I've seen the two side by side, it seems like the differences are cosmetic...the hood on the Gravely is more rounded, etc. Pretty easy to see it is the same machine. I have (3) Gravely 260Z machines in our fleet, and they have been solid moneymakers year after year.

I would take the Woods/Gravely any day over that Z-Track toy.

KB

Jeffsmowing
11-22-2004, 12:07 AM
A friend of mine has a 60" woods midmount with a vertical shaft 25Hp kohler. He seems to like it due to the hydraulic deck lift and the articulating front casters. I have operated the machine and was not impressed. It cost him over $80 for a set of blades where I can outfit both of my 60" lazers with new "teeth" for a hair over 60 bucks.

Jeff

Travis Followell
11-22-2004, 06:54 AM
The reason I asked is because I wanted to see if anyone had the same thoughts as me. I hate the machine. It rides rough and the cut looks like crap if the grass is damp. The deck clogs up and will only throw out a clump as big as my hand ever now and then while leaving strips of uncut grass between the blades. Does beauitiful in dry grass but just not damp or wet. As much as we mow we cant set around and wait for the grass to dry off.

Albemarle Lawn
11-22-2004, 09:53 PM
about $9 per blade, cheaper with quantity (9) or more.

The OEM blades are very expensive for Gravely and Woods because they are tungsten-tipped. Supposed to stay sharp longer....true if you don't hit rocks. But in reality they eat your bench grinder wheels when sharpening. Just go to J-thomas for regular blades, $ problem solved.

As far as quality of cut: Baffles/flow directors may be bent. The Gravelys have a very nice cut, even wet. Could be a woods issue.

Rough ride= too much tire pressure or wrong tires.

Critical Care
11-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Travis, I don't remember the model number, but several years back I was using a Woods. It had the two cloth collection bags in back, typical bobcat type of hydrostatic controls, and had the blower mounted off to one side of the deck. It did seem to clog up easily if the grass was damp, and especially if it were also a bit long. I had a belt break once or twice... It also didn't like too steep of hills.

Bottom line, I thought that the machine was okay, with limitations. I'll never give up my Walker for one, though.

spottedbuckey
05-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I've owned 2 woods 2560 mowers. Bought my first one in 1998 new and used it for over 10 years. I replaced engine and a couple of hydro pumps along with a wheel motor. I bought a 2004 model from a friend of mine in 2008 with 500 hours on mower and 200 on new engine. I am still using it today. I've got over 1400 hours on it now. On comparable models the woods, ariens, & gravely are basically the same mower. The parts will interchange which made it good when I bought parts I could get Arien in a woods part wasn't in stock. I like this mower because it will stick to a hill pretty good. I have mowed banks in ditch lines where my right front wheel would be 6" to 8" off the ground. On the flip side I don't like the air filter system. I have a new Donaldson air filter system ordered for mine now. The old small round one is constantly getting covered in dirt, ect. The newer Gravely are the same but they have upgraded the wheel motors and added a few new features. I would like to have one of them but I couldn't pass this deal up from my friend. I got this machine for $3,000. I gave $7500 for the new one in 1998. They are good machine overall and I would buy another one if I got a good deal on one.