PDA

View Full Version : Troy Built 30" Mower??

Gene $immons
11-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this mower? It has a 15 HP Briggs motor. Looks like a good deal at 850.00.

TURF DOCTOR
11-19-2004, 07:39 PM
I think S R pricing is ballpark $1500 My buddies love these machines.

grasswhacker
11-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Is it a walk behind? I've seen the 33" 9 hp mower but not a 30" 16hp.

a+elawnserviceww
11-19-2004, 09:51 PM
can i say i know someone how also does about 60 by 100 feet yards about 60 a week with a 30'' Troy Built mower. he said he have to replace part all the time. he is always put money out to fix it. cut deck is all dent up.

if you take look at it it is for homeonweruse. look at the frame of the deck on that than look at the one on a Commercial mower the commercail mower deck is much thicker and stronger. to show how strong it is canpare the weight with a commercail mower.
also when you need part they are hard to get because a company over sea bought troy built out, homelite and a how bunch of other company.

rookiemower
11-19-2004, 10:21 PM
save allittle more and you could buy a better 36" (the sponser) i don't personally own one but the look a hell of a lot better than any troy built :cool2:

procut
11-19-2004, 10:43 PM
I had a Troy Bilt Mower once, hated it. Every two weeks something was broken on it (Seriously). It had some clever features, but simply wasn't built heavy enough for commercial use.

twwlawn
11-19-2004, 10:49 PM
I used the Troy-Bilt mower for years mowing, but I only put maybe 4 hours on them weekly for back gated lawns. I didn't have any big problems with them. They are the only walk behind mowers I ever used, until I got a Bunton 36". I use Z's for the large areas. Never heard of a 30", 15hp made by Troy-Bilt. MTD bought Troy-Bilt out years ago.

Mowingman
11-20-2004, 09:04 AM
My partner has a Troybilt 33" that he used for many years before we merged. He had good luck with it as long as he did not let his help run it. They are not heavy duty, and are kind of fragile. The help would always tear something up on it. Biggest problem is the overlaped, timed blades. If you hit a stump or something, the deck belt jumps and the blades get out of time. They then crash into each other and that almost always trashes a spindle assembly.

ce2000
11-24-2004, 10:22 PM
I have the 33 inch Wide Cut Troybilt with the 9 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that I use to go through narrow gates. I bought it new in July 2000. I probably run it 8 to 10 hours per week. The biggest problem that I have with it is one of the pulleys on the V-Belt (drive belt) comes apart. It is just a steel stamped out pulley and one of the flanges breaks off. I keep a spare pulley in my tool box at all times. I can replace it on site in a short amount of time. It is the only pulley that I have trouble with. I have not had to replace the spindles yet. I also have a 44 inch cut Toro Walk-Behind with the 17 HP Kawasaki engine. I love the T-Bar on this machine and it has been a very dependable machine, just can't get it through a 36 inch gate.

gogetter
11-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this mower? It has a 15 HP Briggs motor. Looks like a good deal at 850.00.

Is this new? Only thing close that I've seen from them is the Wide Cut which is 33" and like 9hp and sells for around $1300 or so.
Have a link or photo of the one you're talking about?

bob
11-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Watch those plastic front caster wheels! I know someone that has one , and got the wheel caught in the trailer ramp somehow, and broke the wheel. I'd get a heavier commercial mower if I needed a mower this size.

Fareway Lawncare
11-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Troy Bilt 33" are Pure Garbage. I have purchased 3 over the years and each time have kicked myself in the Azz for Being a Cheap Baztard & not geting a True Commercial Unit..All Were Sold at Serious Loss....

lennonpaul
11-25-2004, 11:47 PM
I purchased a troybuilt 33" aboutfour years ago, i let my helper use it for about 3 seasons a couple hours a week and last season just for gated entries. When i first bought it i was a little mad that it wasnt all that fast. Its good for gates that are kinda small that 36" commercial units cant fit into. I'll admit the machine is light duty but its made it through four seasons of part time use every week during the cutting season and here i'll list the parts replaced: three spindle shafts replaced, 1 timed pulley replaced after cracking in have, both spindle bearings replaced and some belts and i think i have a little transmission lever disconnected inside the gear box?? not sure have to look at it later. Anyway the machine is easy to work on and its got a strong engine and transmission. As long as your helpers dont run over pipes and rocks the spindle shafts should last longer then mind, as welll as the pulleys but helpers can be careless and abusive on all equipment including all the nice new trucks that alot of guys in the industry like to buy when getting into this line of work.
My suggestion, if you dont have many gated backyards this lawnmower is fine. If you need a fast small deck lawnmower that can handle rough operators, look elsewhere.

crawdad
11-26-2004, 07:58 AM
Tell us where to look. I'm thinking about a 30.
Crawdad

lennonpaul
11-26-2004, 11:35 AM
i bought mine from troybuilt.com for around $1400 they sometimes even have 0% financing and they ship it to your door. Ive seen them used on ebay, but the potential inherent ebay risks can deter you from buying it from their.
Paul

SonShineSoul
11-26-2004, 05:13 PM
How rough are you guys with your equipment??! I have been running two 33" Troy Bilts for years now. Around 80 lawns per week. Have had the belts wear out a few times, but thats about it. There is nothing on the market that beats these mowers when it comes to mulching! I have gone over long and wet grass, and it still cuts beautifully! Fits anywhere and easy to manuever as well.

DLCS
11-26-2004, 05:38 PM
I have a 33" Cub Cadet Wide cut which is pretty much the same as the Troy Built. I bought mine in August 2000. Spring heavy growth is a little tough for it but normally it mulches just fine. So far the only things I have replaced(never had to take it to dealer) front caster wheel broke the second season, replaced drive belt second season, replaced selinoid this year and blade belt broke last week. Actually it seems to be a good mower but keep in mind I run this mower and I don't have any employees. Also, this mower mulches leaves better than any mower that i've seen.