PDA

View Full Version : Any experienced Sentar users with opinions?

olepops
11-19-2004, 08:57 PM
I was so happy when Wright Manufacturing made the Stander. It was the machine I was designing in my dreams. It proved to be not flawless but a very capable tool. I ended up rebuilding my client base and transport vehicle around the Stander 52. I would not go back to any other machine.
Test drove the Sentar once. But never got much time to get a good feel for it. Anyone with experience on both machines that has opinions?
It seems funny to me that the Sentar has not become popular. The Stander took off like hotcakes in it's third year. Everyone had one! I dont believe I've ever seen a Sentar on a trailer or transport vehicle.

jtkplc
11-19-2004, 10:29 PM
I don't see any big advantage to the Sentar over a ZTR w/ a backed suspension seat. Yeah you can sit down or stand up, but how often will that situation come up? It's shorter in lenght, but I would rather have a nice comfy seat over a few inches of space on my trailer. That's just my personal opinion.

From what i've learned, there is no right or wrong mower. It's whatever fits your needs the best. So if you want to have better visability, be able to stand up or sit down, and have a short frame then the Sentar is the right mower. However, I couldn't see spending the same amount of money on a Sentar that I would on a Toro or Gravely. For me the benefits of a Sentar aren't enough to choose it over other ZTR's for the same amount of money.

olepops
11-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Absolutely! I used to buy whatever my mechanic liked. Somtimes he was right on!

impactlandscaping
11-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Itsgottobegreen will be here to comment shortly...I will leave the commentary up to him. I have been beating him to these discussions lately :p :D :p

dwc
11-20-2004, 12:23 AM
I have a Sentar and have had a stander too. The thing about the sentar is that you can stand up like the stander to see better or you can sit if you have a large area. The sentar will also run 15mph...great for large commercial jobs with islands, etc. and the stander will only do like 8mph.
I think that the reason you see so many standers is because they are about half as much in cost as the sentar. I am planning on replacing my sentar this coming season.

olepops
11-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Since you have both machines can I ask you a few specifics? How do they compare on the front casters impacting the turf on tight turns? eg: stopping then backing & turning. My standers casters were somtimes so heavy and the turf so fragile ( lots o shade) that the front wheels would divit the grass.

How do they compare when you must mount a curb or similar obstacle? The deck skirt on the left side on my stander took a beating from bumping solid objects like curbing or more often riding a slope laterally that ended on a driveway. The deck would cave from the slightest repeated bumping since it had no lip or edge to it. After we welded an edge onto it I could use it without always having a sledgehammer on board to "fix" the deck.

Rear tire smear on turns was also a problem. I think that if I weighed more than my mighty 155 lbs it might have been better. The tires are so wide that on a normal slow curving turn ( not ztr hot dogging ) the turf would tear under the wide tires. Again, this was a shady and or wet location issue. More operator weight on the already light drive tires would be better I always thought. The newer smoother tread design did make a big improvement.

Am I understanding you correctly that speed and operator position flexibility are the key benefits for you? What will you be replacing your Sentar with?

Thanks for your time. I'm new to this forum and appreciate the advice.

jtkplc
11-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Sentar's forward ground speed is 11mph not 15mph.

geogunn
11-20-2004, 10:31 AM
I have looked at the sentar and really like the way they look.

about a year ago, they sold about 60 sentars on e-bay and I had a ball bidding on them but won nada.

about that time I went to my local dealer, 45 miles away,and found a MFG REP there. we talked for a long time and I was impressed with what he had to say.

and the crux of what he had to say was the older units were OK but the newer ones were fantastic. and that would be the '03 and later.

I say consider the sentar. I am.

GEO :)

Likestomow
11-20-2004, 12:18 PM
I bought my first 52” Sentar in May of 2003, so it is the old style, or Sentar-1. I thought I could mow standing up with it, but quickly found out I couldn’t. The control handles were way too low (they are now 6” higher on the newer ones) and they were also too far back to be able to stand up and control the thing accurately.

I modified mine right away by moving the control panel (levers) up 7” and forward 9”. The machine pretty much now looks a lot like a Stander. Wow! What a great combination. The machine has been wonderful and a pleasure to mow with – fast, agile, good on hills, and great on residentials. I bought my second one this past summer. It is also the old style, Sentar-1.

Itsgottobegreen
11-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Itsgottobegreen will be here to comment shortly...I will leave the commentary up to him. I have been beating him to these discussions lately :p :D :p

Thank you.

I have both. I love them both for different reasons.

The sentar is great because of the unbelievable power it has. The pumps are huge. It will hold a hill better than any other ZTR. Like the stander because you can shift your weight to better hold the hill. Also it has the lowest center of gravity of any machine. Since the motor sits right on top of the deck. It will jump curbs like nothing else. The floating deck is nice. It is exact the height you set it at. Most other ZTR can be up to 3/8" off. The sentar 2 is deadly. It blows the sentar 1 so far out of the water you can't even see it.

The only reason why I am selling mine is because its a 61" model. I lost a major acreage account and its too big for my other accounts. I was going to trade it for a 52" model, but I came across a 52" stander new in the crate for $5000. payup So I couldn't pass it up. Other wise I would have a 52" model.

The stander because its dame near bullet proof. I prefer fix decks. They are really compact and fast. I couldn't operate with out them.

olepops- the new stander and sentars have built in reenforcement strips. No the sentar's front casters don't tear the grass.

dwc
11-20-2004, 09:43 PM
The Sentar is only 11mph. I thought it was 15....sorry. Every now and then I will have the casters dig in but only on really wet turf. I have more trouble with the back wheels leaving divots than the front though. Have to do a K turn and that makes it ok.
Speed and position are a big plus for the sentar, plus the power like was mentioned.
There is no problem at all with getting over curbs since the deck lifts into transport postion all the way up. The deck is also MUCH easier to chance heights for cutting than the Stander.
Mine is a 48" 19hp and I am wanting to replace it next year with a Deere Stander. My Wright dealer went under so the next one is 1.5 hours away. Too far to drive when I am really busy especially and J.D is about 1/2 mile from my house. I have about 325 hours on the Sentar right now.